Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2015 AMA Sequences

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 AM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2015 AMA Sequences

Yep. I'm just thinking from the perspective of providing a "gentle" introduction to the box + turnaround it makes sense to have some turnaround in a pre-sportsman class. But I'd be OK with it being entirely center maneuvers with no box.

Peter+
Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM
jgg215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In IMAC, Basic is the entry level class. It is full turnaround with no exits. There is a "break" with penalties if you need to regroup. The point is, this is considered an easy pattern by everyone in Sport Aerobatics while, as a pattern, it is more difficult than our Sportsman class. I have never heard any complaints that it is too difficult.
The big difference(and it is big) is the lack of a box. I believe the biggest problem our sportsman newbies have is the constant struggle to keep out where the box is bigger. So, perhaps, as an experiment, we should try eliminating the box for Sportsman, not the turnrounds. Keep the same pattern, with the two regroup "breaks".

There have been comments about newbie sportsman in this thread, referring to eyes glazing over at the concept of flying a continuous ribbon of maneuvers within a set maneuvering space. It is very difficult to take a relatively inexperienced pilot who flies racetrack with an occassional loop or roll and transform him overnight into someone who can fly a reasonable sportsman pattern. It takes interest, drive, research and lots of disciplined practice to get from A to B. I'm not too interested in an adult who doesn't know the basic maneuvers but my interest definitely perks up when I'm asked how to do a better cuban 8 or how to do a snap roll or how do I stay on line when I roll.....

John
Old 06-11-2013, 03:48 PM
n233w

I took the survey but I wanted applaud the conversation and to chime in here as a newbie.

First off, I challenge the notion that pattern is dying and we need to pull out the stops to get people to the contest. Yes, you need a minimum to make it viable, but just saying "more is better" is not the best starting point. With adding more people and more classes comes organizational challenges that may strain the system.

Second, it seems to me that the people who find it difficult to distinguish one turnaround maneuver from another or who can't grok the concept of the aerobatic box aren't the kind of competitor who will stick with the discipline the event requires. Same with those who can't find time to practice or even attend a local contest as a spectator. I dragged my little tiny kids to pattern and IMAC contests around the area for 2 or 3 years and practiced the pattern with a foamie Acromaster for 2 years at the local parkbefore I flew my first contest. I guess I'm weird, but flying a little model around the great big windy sky in a prescribed manner is not for everybody.

I don't know what you do about the bulging Master's class. On one level I guess it's a good problem to have since it means there are a lot of folks who want to stick with it for many years. Since the friction point seems to revolve around the infamous rolling circles, maybe there's some educating we could do of ourselves, take it on as challenge:http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...olling-circle/.

Bill

Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14
It is my subjective observation that it is: A) Easier to get new pilots to try (Classic) Pre-Novice pattern for the first time that AMA Sportsman, and B) They seem more enthusiastic about doing the Pre-Novice again.

Trying to explain the box to a newcomer frequently leads to glassed over eyes, and they say forget it.
-Robert
That's been my experience for the last umpty-ump years . . . [sigh] . . .

Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I personally didn't think the Sportsman sequence was too hard. I think the goal should be to show up and make an attempt. I wouldn't stress the box too much on a newcomer, nor would I stress scoring very much. It is perfectly fine to get zeros. It was my goal during my first year to try not to get zeros. I didn't think about the box until later. Judges during my first year were awesome at giving me little pointers, and when I was ready they started bringing up the box. If eliminating the box in Sportsman really draws more people, then I am fine with it.

My overall thought is that if people are nervouse or scared, it's because we are sending the wrong message. Flying model airplanes should be fun. Going to a contest is a lot of fun when that is your goal. I had less fun last year because I was too focused on perfection and not getting there. This year I started off with lots of zeros in my first contest, but felt great about making wind corrections and just happy to be out at the field with a good group of guys. I personally would rather take a zero knowing I made good corrections but forgot to roll, than get a sloppy 6.

Our message to the new guys should be to just show up and give it a shot, and don't worry about scores or boxes. That was the message to me a few years ago, and it was the right one. I was told as long as I can safely take off and land, I am in good shape.