Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Biplane Wing Incidence - Well kept F3A secret or nobody knows for sure.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Biplane Wing Incidence - Well kept F3A secret or nobody knows for sure.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Portlandflyer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Xareltoo. Exceptional bipe

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Modèle Xareltoo cote.jpg
Views:	6149
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2151535  
Old 03-10-2016, 12:44 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by MTK
Ken, roll coupling is mostly a function of dihedral. Amount of elevator when inverted is a function of CG and incidence.

with wing, stab and engine down thrust at zero, the bipe may not fly as expected. Suggest to add about 1 degree of down thrust in addition to keeping wing and stab at zero. It will clean up the up lines among other things.
Matt and others, this biplane incidence thing seems to be all over the board and I'm seeing that it's not a one size fits all. As Ken has stated the Bucker shows 0-0-0 while the other two Dave Patrick designed Ultimates have 0-0 with +2 on the stab. I just finished up an old Circus Hobbies Reed Falcon 120 and it is set +2-0-0, the +2 being up thrust and calling for no right thrust. I only have 3 flights on it so far so not much to tell as far as incidences are correct or not, I did notice it has the need for right thrust so that was added. If you look at a plan that someone posted it looks like the top wing has washout and the bottom does not. It's looking like there is more then one way to skin this cat.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2151823   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	291
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2151824  
Old 03-10-2016, 11:49 PM
Henning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After studying several pictures of paint jobs of the the Ascent and the previous Acuracy I am designing a colour schema that is based on both wings flying with positive angle of attack.

I am using Oracover (Ultracote) and had some progress last night.

Br,
Henning

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	4297
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2151930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	4366
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2151931  
Old 03-11-2016, 12:15 AM
serious power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Henning,
Have you given any thought to changing the incidences from those given on the plan ?? ( i know it.s a Naruke design) .
Setting both wings the same is the option that always comes to my mind.

Brian
Old 03-11-2016, 12:38 AM
Henning

Hi Brian,

As my experience with bips is limited. I will set it up as advised on the planes and go from there. Both wings are build into the fuse and are not that easy to change when it comes to incidence. Motor trust, CG and the stab will be the first to be adjusted if I have to do any.

I have the Aries 07 and Acuracy mono from Naruke and on both I had to move the CG 10-20 mm forward of the recommended settings. My preferences are a bit different than what Mr. Naruke prefer. The flying style and speed can be different.

Br,
Henning
Old 03-30-2016, 10:43 AM
rcfs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically, incidence would be measured from the chord line of the stab. Here's the explanation http://www.rcflightschool.com/Setup_...denceIntro.pdf
Old 04-08-2016, 10:50 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Acuracy and my Amethyst both have 0.5+ in one wing.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Henning

Hi,

The Ascent BIP had the maiden flight today. 4 clicks of up elevator and I was able to fly knife edge both ways without any couplings. This has never happened to me before on a maiden flight. My Acuracy mono took 100+ flights of trimming to have it fly mix free.

The incidence are as per the drawing. Low wing and motor have 0 degree to the fuse datum line. The topp wing -1 degree and the stab 0.5 + (lifting the nose). I used 5000 packs today but will use Hacker 4150 packs at 900 grams once they arrive. The total wight will be 4800 grams. Looking forward to fine-tune the model and start practise P and F17.

Br,
Henning

Name:	IMG_0098.JPG
Views:	4461
Size:	4.91 MB
ID:	2156399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0099.JPG
Views:	4534
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	2156400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.JPG
Views:	4555
Size:	4.66 MB
ID:	2156402  
Old 04-08-2016, 01:18 PM
Henning

and some more

Name:	IMG_0080.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	2156405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	4.43 MB
ID:	2156406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2156407  
Old 04-08-2016, 02:26 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Henning

Hi,

The Ascent BIP had the maiden flight today. 4 clicks of up elevator and I was able to fly knife edge both ways without any couplings. This has never happened to me before on a maiden flight. My Acuracy mono took 100+ flights of trimming to have it fly mix free.

The incidence are as per the drawing. Low wing and motor have 0 degree to the fuse datum line. The top wing -1 degree and the stab 0.5 + (lifting the nose). I used 5000 packs today but will use Hacker 4150 packs at 900 grams once they arrive. The total wight will be 4800 grams. Looking forward to fine-tune the model and start practise P and F17.

Br,
Henning
Looks good. You did a good job of covering the fuse instead of painting.

I think positive incidence on the stab would drop the nose not raise. The 4 clicks of up elevator indicates that the stab incidence needs to be reduced. Maybe 0 degrees would be better.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 PM
Ekvien

Realy a good job there Henning, looking forward to see it live on the field
Old 04-28-2017, 11:34 AM
rcfs

Malcom is spot on. For all you guys promoting 0 incidence (decalage) under the hypothetical guise of the plane being neutral upright and inverted and throughout speed changes, just one problem with that theory: Gravity isn't zero, and until someone develops an anti gravity device, lift has to be generated somehow, e.g., either through incidence or trim (when trim is used it only works for one speed, of course). Go...
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rcfs
Malcom is spot on. For all you guys promoting 0 incidence (decalage) under the hypothetical guise of the plane being neutral upright and inverted and throughout speed changes, just one problem with that theory: Gravity isn't zero, and until someone develops an anti gravity device, lift has to be generated somehow, e.g., either through incidence or trim (when trim is used it only works for one speed, of course). Go...
Incidence and decalage are two different things.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:19 PM
rcfs

Originally Posted by drac1
Incidence and decalage are two different things.
Since most stabs parallel the datum line, for all practical purposes they're the same 99% of the time
Old 09-04-2018, 10:15 AM
RuneG

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Henning
Hi,

I am currently building an Ascent Bip from Naruke Hobby. This is basically the same plane Onda used as his A model at the WC 2015 just with the old name Acuracy. I bought a kit for the GP version and have converted it into electric with a hatch at the top as on the Oxai EP version.

I am almost new to biplanes. Had a Miss Wind 50 from Sebart some years back but never measured the incidents on that plane.

When building kits I am so lucky that I have a full size drawing with the planes datum line and incidence for motor, stab and wings. What I am trying to figure out is how the plane will present in the air. If I misunderstand the concept my colour scheme can look like the plane is either flying with the tail low or too high.

The motor trust and the low wing are inline with the fuse datum line. So with this two as 0 degree the top wing will be -1 degree and the stab +0,5 degree. I assume both wings will have to fly with positive angle of attack so the bottom wing will be more then +1 and the top wing will be more than 0 degrees?

Input is appreciated.

I will upload some pictures.

Br,
Henning
If you look closely and the drawing is correct ( some that I sure off when its Japanees) you can see the topwing in fact has some washout...why has Naruke done this!??
Old 09-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Alex Voicu

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RuneG
If you look closely and the drawing is correct ( some that I sure off when its Japanees) you can see the topwing in fact has some washout...why has Naruke done this!??
There's no washout, it's just an illusion (see attached image). The top wing has some anhedral built in, which is quite common for biplanes.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:20 PM
RuneG

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yep

Originally Posted by Alex Voicu
There's no washout, it's just an illusion (see attached image). The top wing has some anhedral built in, which is quite common for biplanes.

your right I had to look closly
Old 09-04-2018, 04:30 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

My Divergent has the lower wing set to 1 degree positive, the upper wing set to zero, motor at zero and stabs set to carry no trim. Up lines are perfectly straight, down lines need a very small down elevator mix. Knife edge pulls just a little bit to the canopy both directions. I would throw in a rudder/elevator mix to fix that however in level flight application of rudder yields yaw only. Overall very happy with my first pattern airplane design effort. I feel it will only get better as I learn more.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:36 AM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CK Aero | Triangulation Trimming Guides
The Answers are here V4 trimming guides including setup for the bipe wings
and trimming guides for both bipe and Mono

Bryan
CKAero.net