Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2015 Sequences

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Sequences

Looking for the diagram with illustrations of 403 (Advanced) maneuvers . Checked nsrca.us and just the maneuver titles and K- factors are posted.
Also, no Aresti .
Old 08-11-2014, 09:55 AM
danamania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F.Imbriaco
Looking for the diagram with illustrations of 403 (Advanced) maneuvers . Checked nsrca.us and just the maneuver titles and K- factors are posted.
Also, no Aresti .
http://www.nsrca.us/index.php/sequences

Hi Frank, at the lower right margin are the links to the Proposed Sequences Maneuver Descriptions. The Aresti, as I understand it, is not drawn-up until the proposal is accepted by the NSRCA Board (and this naturally follows the comment period when the proposal is open for feedback from the members). There has been a lot of feedback sent in about the Advanced proposal to date and a few corrections have already been made to the proposal posted some months ago. Would be interested to hear your feedback and share with the Sequence Committee, especially if you have flight reports and observations to share. Thanks! Dana
Old 08-11-2014, 11:59 AM
F.Imbriaco

Dana : I've yet to try it, but I witnessed Joe L. do so this past weekend .
Problem 1- following maneuver 5(Shark's Tooth, half roll on vertical, half rolls reversed on 45 down (T), there is insufficient time - if one remains within the box one must rush into maneuver 6(Avalanche with full Snap + or -) .
Problem 2- Maneuver 14-(cobra Roll, 1/2 roll up, pos. snap down ) - Again , there isn't much time unless one flies out of the box to smoothly enter maneuver 15 (1/2 Square, 2/4 roll up) T.
Problem 3- Maneuver 17 ( 1/2 rev Cuban from top, 1/2 roll on 45 (T) puts you out quite far- and high.
Naturally, I'm prefacing the mentioned issues on Advanced piloting abilities- with practice, the average advanced pilot will succeed, but we must be cognizant of space and height and things are being stretched a bit with this sequence.
You might want to talk to Joe and others after they've flown it. Joe believes that it is the most difficult Advanced sequence ever.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:00 PM
danamania

Originally Posted by F.Imbriaco
Dana : I've yet to try it, but I witnessed Joe L. do so this past weekend...
Thanks Frank, Joe's feedback and flight report is already in Committee so we have that covered. If you do try it and have a flight report to add, that would be helpful and I can forward it along.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

The Intermediate sequence was interesting to see the first time. The first section looks almost identical on paper, but thinking a little more about it I think it's a pretty decent sequence: added a roll in the half square loop, so the (now round) loop from top has an inverted entry/exit. And there is a significant increase of vertical rolling maneuvers which I think is good.

I will miss the 'square loop on corner' - maybe it's just me but I personally found that to be one of the tougher maneuvers:
Between the positioning of the entire maneuver (so the bottom radius is actually centered), and the challenges of flying 4 corners with each entry/exit in a different (non horizontal) attitude, I think it requires a good skill set and concentration and offers good potential for developing us intermediate pilots. It will be great to hear some others' perspectives though - I imagine everyone has their own challenging maneuver?

So, I suggest making #12 a Square Loop On Corner in Intermediate, rather than just a square loop. There is a half loop before and a humpty with options after so there's no risk of getting too cramped. It is a down wind maneuver - maybe more challenging to initiate properly but I don't think that should be too much of an issue.

I know it's hard to please everyone but I think the committee does a great job at coming up with the new sequences. Last year we had that poll and discussion about what the intent is for each class and I thought each sequence seemed to address the purpose fairly well (granted most of it is theoretical since I don't fly the upper level stuff, but I tried to imagine it). I know that I don't do a whole lot and yet have a new and fun challenge to try to master every 2 years. So, thanks!!

It must be passed my bed time

Last edited by Jetdesign; 08-12-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:07 AM
danamania

Hi Joe, thanks for your comments, glad you like the proposal and yes, it is hard (impossible) to please everyone! I'm not clear from your post if you have flown it yet. Like yours, the feedback has been positive!

Please take another look at that first loop, as it is an outside loop from the top which I find it just as challenging as a square loop on corner, and a nice change for those continuing in intermediate. There are some technical reasons why we have a Square Loop in the proposal which I won't get into here, but feel free to check out the Sequence Development Guidelines on the NSRCA site if you are curious what goes into these proposals. BTW, the Square Loop on Corner has found a new home for 2015 in the Advanced proposal (Square on corner, ½ roll first leg).

Last edited by danamania; 08-13-2014 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Removed quote for brevity
Old 08-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Jetdesign

Thanks Joe. I am excited for the outside loop - you have a good point and that will be a fun new challenge to substitute. And no, I have not yet flown the sequence. Been concentrating on the current sequence as I didn't fly as much as I'd hoped this year and have want to do well at the next contest this weekend. Maybe I can get someone to call the 2015 sequence for me there.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:45 AM
4u2nv-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am wanting to know just how high a percentage chance is it that the proposed sequences get approved? I have flown the ADV sequence about 4 times and on my best attempt only zeroed 4 maneuvers. Those that know me know thats pretty good!LOL I almost have it memorized so, with my luck, there will be changes and I will be flying wrong maneuvers later!. It is a good pattern but challenging. It has elements needed to move up and requires a bit more airspace management. Time will tell with me and the zeros.....
Old 09-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Jetdesign

Another comment regarding the Intermediate sequence:

I was looking at the list of allowable maneuvers for Intermediate and see that there are maneuvers with point rolls. In the 2015 Advanced schedule, there are at least two point roll maneuvers, as well as a snap maneuver and a spin maneuver. 2015 proposed Intermediate does not contain any of those three elements (nor does 2014 Intermediate).

I suggest adding something with point rolls (preferably, or a snap or spin?) to help with the transition to the next class. It is just a suggestion.

I have flown an IMAC sequence (Sportsman, which is like our Intermediate) in a contest that contained all three of these elements and struggled with having that much new material in one sequence.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:23 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Last night at the September board meeting of the NSRCA, the Board of Directors unanimously approved the proposed sequences from the Sequence Committee. Advanced and Masters will fly the new sequence for the 2015 campaign while Sportsman and Intermediate will fly the new sequence for the 2015-2017 (3 years) campaigns.

The Sequence Committee and the Board thanks those that gave feedback. The Board feels that this feedback, along with the hard, unending work of the Sequence Committee, led to a very plausible and fun sequence for each class.

Thank you,
Scott

The new sequences can be found at http://nsrca.us/index.php/sequences. They are under "Proposed Sequences" on the right but that will be updated soon enough.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:25 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,

thanks and it will be fun to fly the 2015 Advanced.

Just wonder what is the thinking behind making the Advanced one year deal. Is it a trend?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2014, 02:44 AM
danamania

As I understand it, Advanced & Masters will change every 2 years, but on the same year as FAI F3A: the one year is to make this adjustment in 2015 for the 2016-17 cycle.

Another way to look at it is that the proposed Advanced & Masters sequences are more difficult than the last cycle: they are only one year sequences, so if the increased difficulty needs to be reconsidered for the 2016-17 cycle, there is the opportunity to regroup on that point before a 2 year cycle goes into play.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:21 PM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Originally Posted by danamania
As I understand it, Advanced & Masters will change every 2 years, but on the same year as FAI F3A: the one year is to make this adjustment in 2015 for the 2016-17 cycle.

Another way to look at it is that the proposed Advanced & Masters sequences are more difficult than the last cycle: they are only one year sequences, so if the increased difficulty needs to be reconsidered for the 2016-17 cycle, there is the opportunity to regroup on that point before a 2 year cycle goes into play.

Hate to say it, but they better get started now on those new sequences. Frankly, Masters should be the only one changed. It's asking too much on too short a time frame to get something done proper and done well.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:50 PM
F.Imbriaco

Several maneuver descriptions(Advanced) are going to need some tweaks to get them in sync with the approved (final)sequence.
No bigge, but a few descriptions are based on the first proposal.