Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

St Clairsville Pattern 2014

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, thanks for posting - it was fun to read and reminisce.

I remember having to rush like that at a couple of contests. It is tough rushing to get two flights in, then spending a lot of time waiting. I didn't feel that we waited very long in St. Clairsville though. I think a lot of the rushing has to do with the smaller population in Sportsman. I don't recall rushing like that since I moved to Intermediate but I don't remember.

Nice job taking the first couple of flights at your first contest! Every contest is fun, different, and a learning experience. I am really enjoying the opportunity to get to know the D4 crowd, they are a really good group of guys.

2.5 weeks to the final contest in Muncie (I think there is one more before that in Michigan which I won't make) - hope to see y'all there!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Mark,
Glad your first pattern contest experience was a good one.
I hope the rapid turnaround between rounds wasn't too stressful for you. We debated about flying Sportsman separately or integrated with the other classes as is usually done and decided it would be better to let you have the sky to yourselves.
We do try to be beginner friendly and accommodating and really enjoy having new people fly with us!

As for a spring contest….we're a small club and the pattern contest is basically a four man operation, so that's probably not in the cards. However, we might be able to persuade a couple of the more proficient pilots who were at the contest to drive in and do a little min-clinic and coaching session early in the year. Would that be of interest to you?

Scott (Lester's caller, lol)
Old 09-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I would drive in for the clinic.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Joe & Scott

The rushing part was some of the tongue in cheek, my starting battery didn't really weigh 5000 pounds, It can't be more than 900 to 950. And I didn't have little white spots in front of my eyes, that's right they were multicolored. I had a wonderful time. Learned a lot. I have been wanting to come to your contest for the past few years, just that life and work seemed to get in the way. This year I said clear the books I'm going to the contest. After reading all about the delicious chicken that was served for Saturday lunch, which I thought was a bunch of hot air. However it truly was some of the best chicken I've ever had.

Yeah I hear you about the spring contest with only 4 people. I used to do several contests a year (Soaring) back in the 70's and early 80's and those who only attend contests and never CD them really can't appreciate all that goes into putting together a contest. Then you get some jerk complaining about his battery;-)

In the end I had a wonderful time and went home with a smile on my face. (In addition to some chicken.) And yes anything you guys put together I'll make a serious effort to be there. And while I can't talk for Lester, he hasn't stopped talking about how he's coming back to St Clairsville.

So all you who may want to go and see what a pattern contest is like, get yer butts to the next contest.

Mark