Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

BJ CRAFT new plane Invitation...

Old 11-09-2015, 10:09 AM
time907356

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,
I saw Larry's fly this weekend at the Jacksonville contest. Wow; what a roller! I purposely watched to see how it handled rolls vs. anything else, and it had the edge. Not a bob, nor weave to be found. -Not to take anything away from Larry's handling of it!
Since rolls are my weak suit, I'd love to have one of these for that alone...still trying to justify it! Beautiful bird too. Noticeably different than anything on the line with that fuse. Very sweet. Whatever color, I don't think you'll be disappointed with it's flight characteristics.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:44 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Thank's Bro.....

Bill
Old 11-10-2015, 04:07 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Bill I'm getting the details in order for your request.
I'll advise soon via email.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 11-11-2015, 05:46 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Thank's Mike, much appreciated!

Bill H.

Originally Posted by mups53
Bill I'm getting the details in order for your request.
I'll advise soon via email.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 11-12-2015, 08:42 AM
papaone

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello Alex

Friend of mine wants to buy plane Invitation and put YS 185 CDI.
Is it necessary to reinforce some parts of the fuse in relation with vibrations of the engine ?
Have you done maiden flights , if yes what do you think about the plane ?
claude
Old 11-13-2015, 07:13 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTK
No, the YS 4 stroke puts out hotter exhaust than gasoline 2 strokes. I have designed-in additional cooling to the exhaust system and the engine, not because the engine runs hot but rather for noise reduction. Cooler exhaust is quieter. The baffling I show in the video wasn't necessary, at least not in NJ. I simply wanted the engine cooled more inside a cowl; full power never bogs the engine down from too much heat. If I lived in too hot Texas or any of the southern states, summers might get the engine too hot, I don't know. On the other hand, I never use full power for any sequence. Half throttle is where the engine lives, between 4K and 6K rpm.

I use the ESComposites carbon composite pipes and highly recommend them. Never any problems; just don't get hot enough. But I also know that Ed Skorepa, Mr. ESC, no longer offers his carbon mufflers for 4 strokes because guys were burning through the epoxy he uses. It was likely a combination of too hot exhaust and poor cooling design.

Using gasoline I had to develop my own pipe couplers since most anything else readily available that I tried (plain silicone or Teflon) did not perform to my satisfaction. I've described this elsewhere in other threads so need to repeat here. This thread has been hijacked enough probably. We can take further discussion directly to emails...

MattK,

can you show some pics of your iso mount?

thanks
tony
Old 11-13-2015, 01:43 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
MattK,

can you show some pics of your iso mount?

thanks
tony
Tony, I have a whole thread on how to build one. Look for the ZDZ40cc isolation mount in the Pattern forum or email me for the link. All others are built pretty much the same. There are other ways to build these but this is mine...

FWIW- the Griffin retrofit is completed. This plane is super light. Fuse, canopy, chin cowl, new carbon/balsa firewall, foam/glass pipe floor and new carbon landing gear mount (my design) weighs in at 927 grams. Of course I discarded the original heavy but rinky dink landing gear mount, firewall and servo trays. I replaced the rudder on this (29 grams vs 68 for the original) but kept the wings and stab halves stock. The wings are fairly light at 400 grams a piece. The stab halves are reasonable at 7 1/2 ounces with the carbon tube. Sure I could do built up and shave more weight but there is no sense doing that right now
Old 12-22-2015, 07:50 AM
mups53

Hey guys I have a few of these:
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/bj-craft...itation-custom
They have an Akiba scheme which normally is a $300 upcharge but there was a mistake at the factory and they have an Essence sticker on them.
We've sold a few of these already and nobody seems to care as the planes are very similar.
Also to let you know. We can install the motors into these planes for a nominal fee.
This plane would lend itself very well to a Contra unit as the large fuse and wing design as well as the fixed stab would be an ideal match.
Thanks for your interest in these planes. We are getting very positive feedback on them.
Have a great and Happy Holiday season.
Mike Mueller
F3AUnlimited.com 800 591 2875
Note the picture shown is not the Oppsie plane as it shows the proper decal and a flying stab. The ones we have are fixed stab two elevators like the standard model.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	larry_invitation.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	2137017  

Last edited by mups53; 12-22-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:55 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

any updates about mounting a fuel or gas motor with a pipe?

tony
Old 08-05-2016, 08:12 AM
mups53

Can you guys chime in and tell me where you ended up on the CG?
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 08-06-2016, 03:34 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure on the CG, but I remember Ivan had his batteries as far forward as possible to get it to fly to his liking.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:07 AM
4ptrol

The balance point I started with runs from the top of the canopy opening, behind the lip just in front of the canalizer. If you pick the assembled plane up using the top canopy lip the plane should balance. I say again a good starting point. Everyone has their own idea of the correct CG. My Invitation is equipped with the standard wings and flying stab. I did assemble another Invitation, same wing but with the standard elevator setup. I used the same method with the same results. Again a good starting point. I am using 4500 batteries. My batteries also ended up being forward .Start with this setup and go fly then adjust to your liking. You will find the initial setup to be very close.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Dre
My Feedback: (2)

BJ recommends 200mm back from the wing root leading edge. I prefer more forward than that - 180 to 190mm. The airplane is more stable with this CG location. The vertical lines and KE trim are not materially impacted by this CG location at the recomnended incidence settings.

Andre Bouchard