Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Switched to Mode 4 - Sucess ! - Try it

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Switched to Mode 4 - Sucess ! - Try it

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:03 AM
sober.chain.smoker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched to Mode 4 - Sucess ! - Try it

Had some recent success with mode 4 left stick-throttle/aileron and right stick rudder/elevator

A few days ago my brain was thinking about my mode 2 transmitter setup. In the past mode 2 with the elevator and aileron on the right stick was thought to be the best since it mimicked a real plane.
But trouble with that way of thinking is the size difference between a real stick in real cockpit compared to our tiny little transmitter sticks. Coupling of elevator moves to aileron and vice versa is tuff to avoid with a stick as small as an RC transmitter stick. Also I think gains that can realized transitioning between an aileron based maneuver to an elevator based maneuver. Maneuvers like this should in fact be quicker and crisper if the pilot can get the left stick moving as the right hand is finishing - two hands should be better than one.

I quit after the first 30 mins on the SIM in mode 4 - felt really awkward at first - but then tried again, slept on it and tried again the next day and about 6 hours total on the SIM things are coming along and I just finished three flights with a plane outside on the field. Knife edge stuff is definitely benefiting, rolls much nicer.

It seems like the brain forgot about the throttle though. A few times I've caught myself forgetting to apply throttle - weird.

I'm sure with mode 4 like everything else in life there are down sides, possibly something to do with the rudder and elevator together on the right stick. - I'll find out.

Pattern pilots would benefit from mode 4. The biggest issue of course for many is the time to retrain; but with SIMs crashes are free.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 AM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how much it has improved your flying after a year or so....

Woodie
Old 08-01-2015, 08:56 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed from Mode 2 to Mode 4 (or 3 depending on who you ask) about 15 years ago, and have never looked back. IMO its a plus for F3A flying, and makes rolling maneuvers less work. Obviously there are many pilots that have no troubles with Mode 2, but I think for me I was able to advance more than I would have if I stuck with Mode 2.

Like you I spent a bit of time on the sim first, then it took about a summer of practice to get back to my Mode 2 level in F3A.

That said, I have had friends change, and really struggle with it, so its not for everyone for sure.

Chad
Old 08-01-2015, 11:13 AM
sober.chain.smoker

yup; if mode 2 works for you more power to you...

I always struggled with a figure 8 (horizontal) knife edge with roll with mode 2 sticks.
Mode 4 makes that one a piece of cake - I'm sold!

Last edited by sober.chain.smoker; 08-01-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:13 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Count me in, too, Sober.
My transition was a little more brutal, though. I changed aileron and rudder plugs at the field one day. After a dozen flights I was convinced enough to keep at it. It took 100 plus flights to get really comfortable enough for competition.
Still fly helicopters mode 2.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:12 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Didn't Ivan Christensen fly mode 3/4? I seem to remember him discussing the benefits of decoupling the pitch and roll inputs. Of course stiffer TX stick springs help if you can't retrain your brain :-)
Old 08-01-2015, 05:49 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I always thought it was mode 1 and mode 2.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 PM
daydream believer

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I always thought it was mode 1 and mode 2.
Modes 4 & 3 are the reverse hand of 1 & 2 & often suit left handed people better
Old 08-02-2015, 02:53 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been a mode 4 flyer forever. I have taught several people to fly and they seem to learn and solo much faster.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ivan flies mode