Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Good afforable .46 size pattern plane for 401 sportsman pattern sequence

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Good afforable .46 size pattern plane for 401 sportsman pattern sequence

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 12:55 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to hear the flight went well. It served me well and I am happy it went to someone that will be able to use it. As for the vibe I need to own a portion of that I guess. It was quite the challenge to pack the plane for the ride to green sea. We had to pull the prop off so it could ride between the Monolog and the Galatik. We had 4 pattern planes, and the jet in the trailer. It gets crowded. You should have it sorted in no time. Can't wait to see you fly it in green sea next spring after you have a winter to practice. Luckily I shouldn't have to fly against you. Could be bad to get beat with ones own plane. Good luck and let us know how it's going through the winter.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:42 PM
sierra_bravo

I can barely fit the plane in my car(well it the ugly stick and two wing halves) so I cant imagine what it was like to pack 5 large planes plus all of the gear/tools and then transmitter cases. Also don't worry about the spinner, it's black plate being bent gave me a reason to buy a one of those gator rc flow-thru spinners. Not that the motor over heats but because I like the look of them.

I'll post updates regularly during the rest of this year's flying season.

-Sam

Last edited by sierra_bravo; 10-31-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 AM
castlebravo

Just to let everyone know....The Phoenix Typhoon is an excellent little airplane! It's definitely no 40% IMAC airplane but it flys and tracks really well. I configured mine with the left over bits from my CarbonZ Cub motor upgrade.....so I put the original Eflite Power 50 and 60A ESC in the Typhoon with some basic Hitec 645's all around.....love flying it! My bud Jim saw how much fun I was havin....he went and bought the same plane and did the same thing with his leftovers. Still experimenting with props right now but the airplane required almost no trim...which makes it a winner in my book!

CB
Old 11-17-2015, 06:19 PM
sierra_bravo

So I was able to fly the snapdragon some more yesterday. Im still getting the CG and the throws dialed. It was flying nose heavy and needed a fair bit of up trim to fly hand off so I'll try moving the battery about 3/4" back to see if that affects it at all. As for throws it has 10 degrees on ailerons and 11 on elevator and it feels slightly slow on both control surfaces so I thinking of lowering expo to around 10%(I had it at 15%) before I up the rates. Besides that it still flies very well. It's stable and visible in the air, and Im 100% confident that the prop shaft wont come loose like it did on the small stick at green sea.

I wonder if the typhoon I got had a defect like a warped wing or tail because everyone else who got one likes it except me. Maybe my expectations were to high but it wasn't to stable of a plane and it didn't really fly hands off. Then again I was never able to set it up right.

-Sam

Last edited by sierra_bravo; 11-17-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:41 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Sounds like you are making the changes you need to. I wish I could be of help but you are in the range of finding different tastes. Glad to hear your flights are going well though. Thank you for your updates. I will keep an eye out for them.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:35 PM
sierra_bravo

Got a few more successful flights in the last two Fridays and I've pretty much got the CG set, it was windy on the last flight so I couldn't really see how the plane flew. I did get the throws set just right, as for trimming so far all it needed was some up and right aileron to get it flying hands off. Wasn't really windy last week ,which is a good and bad thing, only one day with a 7mph crosswind blowing in where I learned how important proper rudder correction is when flying a plane with alot of side area. This week looks nice, warm, and also not windy. Perfect fall flying weather.

-Sam

Last edited by sierra_bravo; 12-06-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:36 PM
edintheclouds

The Typhoon looks really nice. Figuring I'm after an ARF, it might fit the bill. It seems to be the only airframe of that style on the market except for some Alibaba stuff...