Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

OPINIONS: Combining SPA/CPA pattern and AMA/FAI Turnaround pattern contest

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

OPINIONS: Combining SPA/CPA pattern and AMA/FAI Turnaround pattern contest

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb OPINIONS: Combining SPA/CPA pattern and AMA/FAI Turnaround pattern contest

An event that Chip Hyde held a while back combined both SPA/CPA pattern and AMA/FAI Turnaround pattern contest. From what I gathered it sounded like they had a lot of fun. I've always thought that there are different levels even in our own selected interest groups, (Turnaround-Sportsman, Intermediate, Advanced, etc. similar for SPA/CPA) and judges should be able to score for both. Why not get everyone together and share ideas and interest. Our club rely s mainly on an occasional peaking of interest in pattern inside our already established membership. Seems only natural that each group would benefit by flying together. The mixing of the two would only be beneficial in both interest and enjoyment.

Lets hear what others in our community think.

OPINIONS?:
Old 12-01-2015, 04:49 PM
maustin
My Feedback: (7)

I’m sure you will get a lot of opinions on this LOL. Being aformer D7 flyer (now D6) where the dual contest is popular, I’ll give you thediscussion comments I heard from our flyers in Phx. It’s good in that itincreases participation in your contest and all the income benefits for thehost club . The not so good is some believe it dilutes the turnaround contestpurpose and is sometimes hard to get a full 6 rounds of turnaround inon a good weekend. Mix in several classic rounds and you’re lucky to get 4turnaround rounds in. Not many dedicated turnaround flyers willing to drive say 200 miles for only 4rounds !! For those of us in Phx driving one way 324 plus miles to the nearestSocal contest was a non starter for possibly only 4 rounds of turnaround. Nottrying to pour cold water on any ideas just stating some of the discussions wehad.

M Austin
Old 12-01-2015, 06:42 PM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2 cents: One type of contest can feed another. How about alternating SPA/CPA and AMA/FAI pattern contests in your district? Here in District 6, we have many weekends open, especially in the deadly heat months of July and August. That would give the Turn-around guys another contest to participate in in their district, even just for fun (which should be the reason we do this), and possibly get some SPA/CPA pilots to try Turn-around.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Not a bad idea at all Gary. Having contest for the lower level groups one weekend and have the higher levels another time, if to many show up and one contest. I believe the good that can come out of the mixing of these two groups would be great. We all love this type of flying it's just not the same in front of judges. Each have there own uniqueness nowadays. Back when turnaround started most of the planes were still the gear up hair on fire flying. Believe me there is nothing wrong with that! The maneuvers are the same when it comes down to it. I sure that both groups are always looking for new people to pick up pattern, either style.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Dean Pappas

The more the merrier! Of course the combination is a good idea.
The nostalgia class flyers have much to offer, and they may find the modern stuff gives them ideas too.
There really ios no risk to running both events "conjoined" as long as your scoring program can handle the larger number of schedules.
Regards,
Dean Pappas
Old 12-03-2015, 12:20 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Out here we have been promoting Classic as a great way to get in to RC Aerobatics contests. We have run combined events and they can work well if the turnout is not that high. But what has worked the best are 1-day events for Classic only. It seems that many of the new Classic pilots are a bit more "blue collar" then many of the AMA/F3A pilots. Many may never go in to AMA because of both the higher cost of equipment and much more practice time required to even enter a meet. I have literally taken a guy and talked him through Classic Pre-Novice at an event. So a 1-day meet is more in their budget with what motels cost these days.Plus while vintage airplanes are nice it is by no means a requirement. We would frown on a 2-meter entering but most anything else is welcome. So we have a number of 30 or 50 size models being used. Even had a Parkzone T-28 in one.

Another format that has worked great is the Classic Pattern Get-Together started by my friend Robert Fish. The first few were just open flying with classic models. They have involved in to a 1/2 day of open flying/coaching and then a 2-round contest. This has really helped in getting a number of guys in to it.

It is my belief that the better then average club guy interested in trying competition has no real low-cost choice. There is only AMA or IMAC, both kind of expensive. I am hoping that Classic style, one maneuver per pass, can get that guy in to flying pattern. Then maybe you will see some try AMA.

BTW, you should check out the new Kaos 60 ARF. I have one and it is really a very fine model for classic or AMA Sportsman/Intermediate. Pretty good thread on it at the other site.

Last edited by TonyF; 12-03-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:07 PM
KLXMASTER14

Getting a new pilot to “hop the fence” from sport flying to precision aerobatics is fraught with difficulty. Once you show them your 5K airframe and start explaining the “box”, the glassy-eyed pilot typically goes back to what he or she was doing. IMO, the current culture does not offer much incentive for a newcomer to give it a go. The classic one maneuver-per-pass is a very good pathway for newcomers to get involved in pattern. Without new blood, events tend to dwindle away.
Combining classic and turnaround may or may not work in a given situation. The CD should use discretion. But when properly implemented, it can bring about much needed growth for pattern as an event, and new opportunities for pilots to expand their enjoyment of the hobby.
See the pic below. That is the kind of body count that could be added to your pattern events.

Robert Fish
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141108_085316.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	2133933  

Last edited by KLXMASTER14; 12-04-2015 at 12:10 PM.