Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Biplane vs monoplane

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 06:52 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Biplane vs monoplane

It seems biplanes are all the rage in pattern these days.

What is the advantage of a biplane vs a monoplane? I'm asking because I have no idea. Seems like a LOT more setup to make one fly right and from my perspective a possible weight DISADVANTAGE because of the second wing.

I'm not trying to start a war. I just want to understand why.

Ken
Old 10-28-2017, 06:59 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Ken, there are 4 reasons why a bipe made sense to me.

1. More wing area/ lighter wing loading. If I was to do the same by just making a single wing larger the airplane would suffer in roll performance especially in snap rolls.
2. The two wings help straighten the prop wash prior to reaching the tail. This helps with tracking.
3.Higher drag profile. Drag at the right location is good IMO. It helps with keeping constant speed and helps with tracking as well. The downside is you need to make sure you have the power to overcome the drag.
4. I just think they look BADASS.......

I'm hopeful that some more experienced higher level patter pilots will give more information but those were what I am thinking as I go through the construction of mine.
Yes weight is a big concern however the wings are smaller, much thinner because they don't need to be quite as strong. When assembled the wings form a box structure and gain strength. As I said in my build thread I think we overbuild our models anyways. A big eye opener for me was picking up a buddies CK Alure, very light construction.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:19 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main reason is the knife edge performance, the biplanes have an advantage over most if not all monoplanes (canalizer or not).

For guys flying the FAI F sequence, and unknowns the biplanes make many elements of those sequences a bit less work to fly.

That said, they make a lot of simple maneuvers like flying in a straight line harder due to the fact they just go exactly where they are pointed, and if you make a rudder correction incorrectly it will really stick out

The lighter wing loading does help in certain situations but also hurts in others (turbulence).

At the end of the day, I think everyone flies best what they are most comfortable with...mono or bipe. In order to figure that out you just have to buy both and fly them a lot . At least thats what I tell my wife lol.

Chad
Old 10-30-2017, 07:29 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Very well said Chad, especially the bit about practice. The more stick time you invest in a well flying airplane the better you will do. Most of us don't need the latest/greatest to gain an advantage, lots of practice is the advantage regardless of the airplane ( trimmed to full potential of course ). A good example is the fact that out of the 4 contests I flew in this year in advanced I was an average of about 30 points out of first while flying an electrified Hydeaway. I was however practicing at least 20 flights the week prior to the contest.