Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2 cycle engine for F3A

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 10:54 AM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2 cycle engine for F3A

Hello,

There are many electric motors for F3A, but is there a 2 cycle engine that can be used for F3A?? I have no plans to go with the electric f3a ... so please give me your suggestions.

Thanks,
Harry
Old 05-05-2018, 02:45 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Harry,
I'm assuming you mean 2 cycle glow. There are some gas options that have been explored (MTK worked with the OS 33GT, the DLE 35RA is another 'popular' option), but few are seen. As far as two stroke glow options, technically there aren't any current production engines available. The OS 160FX is pretty readily available (eBay or in the 'for sale' section of sites like this). You can still get wrap around headers and pipes. The Perry pump works well, too. Rear exhaust engines with built in pumps (Webra, OS, Mintor, Bully) are scarce, but you might get lucky with a want ad (especially in the K-Factor; the NSRCA publication). I run 2-strokes myself with excellent results, but you will have to modify most of the current models unless you scratch build (like the Lightning with modifications for the engine &pipe) or purchase a Japanese kit like the Ascent which is designed for glow (though the YS 4-stroke). I really like the 19x8 prop which keeps the speed down and provides pretty good downline breaking.
My 2 cents!
Good Luck,
-WIll
Old 05-05-2018, 04:56 PM
MAVROS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Harry,

I run the YS 185 CDI Which is a four stroke supercharged and fuel injected engine.
These engines have had a lot of development and are now very powerful and reliable.

The Electric flyers seem to think that there is a huge advantage in their setup but I don't really see that especially when the wind picks up.

The bottom line is use whatever powerplant that works for you ......and practice practice practice.

PS The World Champion uses the YS Four stroke engine as well....and oh the bloke that came second does as well .

regards
Old 05-06-2018, 10:57 PM
highfly3D

Originally Posted by flywilly
Hi Harry,
I'm assuming you mean 2 cycle glow. There are some gas options that have been explored (MTK worked with the OS 33GT, the DLE 35RA is another 'popular' option), but few are seen. As far as two stroke glow options, technically there aren't any current production engines available. The OS 160FX is pretty readily available (eBay or in the 'for sale' section of sites like this). You can still get wrap around headers and pipes. The Perry pump works well, too. Rear exhaust engines with built in pumps (Webra, OS, Mintor, Bully) are scarce, but you might get lucky with a want ad (especially in the K-Factor; the NSRCA publication). I run 2-strokes myself with excellent results, but you will have to modify most of the current models unless you scratch build (like the Lightning with modifications for the engine &pipe) or purchase a Japanese kit like the Ascent which is designed for glow (though the YS 4-stroke). I really like the 19x8 prop which keeps the speed down and provides pretty good downline breaking.
My 2 cents!
Good Luck,
-WIll
Which 2 stroke engine are you using in your plane, please give some details about the setup.. I will be building the plane from scratch so I will customize it as required for the powerplant I will use for it. Using a YS at present is not in my budget so I want to go with a 2 stroke engine...
Old 05-06-2018, 11:07 PM
highfly3D

Originally Posted by MAVROS
Hi Harry,

I run the YS 185 CDI Which is a four stroke supercharged and fuel injected engine.
These engines have had a lot of development and are now very powerful and reliable.

The Electric flyers seem to think that there is a huge advantage in their setup but I don't really see that especially when the wind picks up.

The bottom line is use whatever powerplant that works for you ......and practice practice practice.

PS The World Champion uses the YS Four stroke engine as well....and oh the bloke that came second does as well .

regards
Hi Mavros,

The main reason to go with the engine is the power.. but at present my budget is low so not going for the YS... I know its a very good engine designed for F3A, so I move to another option of 2 stroke glow engine, going with electric was never on my mind... carry lot of batteries... cost... & less power & torque as in compared to an engine...
Old 05-07-2018, 12:43 AM
papaone

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello

Friend of mine Jean Paul flies with gas engine RCGF 32.
Cheap engine et very reliable. Fly lasts about15 mn to 20 mn.
Claude
Old 05-07-2018, 04:27 AM
RodneyFord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The petrol engine option is very attractive. Cheap, reliable, fuel up at the service station and no nitro proof finish. Plenty of engine options available now. OS can see the writing on the wall too.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:00 AM
papaone

Hello

In WC Argentina, there was a Gas F3A named Sigma

Old 05-07-2018, 05:02 AM
papaone

Hello
No starter

Last edited by papaone; 05-07-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:30 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MAVROS
Hi Harry,

regards
In the wind is where the YS does have an advantage.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:43 AM
papaone

Hello

Others Sigma with Gas engine
Produção
claude
Old 05-07-2018, 09:58 AM
maustin
My Feedback: (7)

What pipe and header are you using? Any pics of your install??
Old 05-07-2018, 10:23 AM
papaone

Hello

With RCGF32 friend of mine uses header Hatori, tuned pipe Webra or ES composite 35 G carbon pipe
PRODUCTS
Claude
Old 05-07-2018, 11:46 AM
maustin
My Feedback: (7)

Nice clean setup Claude. I ran a OS 33GT with pipe some years back to experiment with and never solved the coupler burning thru issue. MTK had a home brew coupler I tried but never had any luck with it.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:56 PM
RodneyFord

Originally Posted by papaone
Hello

Others Sigma with Gas engine
Produção
claude
Thanks for the link Claude. Nice model and colour schemes. Do they have any problems with the noise limit?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:03 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by RodneyFord
Thanks for the link Claude. Nice model and colour schemes. Do they have any problems with the noise limit?
There was at least one Sigma at the World Champs in Argentina. I don't know what the noise level was, but it flew so must have been under 94db.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:22 AM
highfly3D

How is the vibration of the gas engine in comparison to the YS engine, definitely this is cheaper than YS.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:45 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by highfly3D
How is the vibration of the gas engine in comparison to the YS engine, definitely this is cheaper than YS.
Gas engines have less vibration and are cheaper, both to purchase and run. But they don't perform as well as a YS does in F3A.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:40 AM
time907356

Originally Posted by drac1
Gas engines have less vibration and are cheaper, both to purchase and run. But they don't perform as well as a YS does in F3A.
When I got back in to pattern, the gas option seemed the most logical from a weight/price/performance point of view. Nothing was flying with gas in my district though, so I went electric with everyone else. What if the weight of a gas set up was the same as a YS; would it perform as well then? IDK what engine that would be; a 45-55cc I presume. Seems like that would level the field.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:05 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by time907356
When I got back in to pattern, the gas option seemed the most logical from a weight/price/performance point of view. Nothing was flying with gas in my district though, so I went electric with everyone else. What if the weight of a gas set up was the same as a YS; would it perform as well then? IDK what engine that would be; a 45-55cc I presume. Seems like that would level the field.
By performance, I mean overall flight performance, which encompasses everything. From smooth power delivery, downline breaking, throttle control to constant speed through out the schedule. A 2 stroke can't do all that as well as a YS does.

Don't get me wrong though. A gas set up is something very worthwhile looking into. I've actually been going to set one up for some time, but haven't got around to it. Time poor at the moment.
I have a OS 33GT for that purpose. I have an Hatori muffler to try instead of a tuned pipe, to get away from the power jump you get with a tuned pipe. Maybe one day.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:16 AM
highfly3D

Originally Posted by drac1
By performance, I mean overall flight performance, which encompasses everything. From smooth power delivery, downline breaking, throttle control to constant speed through out the schedule. A 2 stroke can't do all that as well as a YS does.

Don't get me wrong though. A gas set up is something very worthwhile looking into. I've actually been going to set one up for some time, but haven't got around to it. Time poor at the moment.
I have a OS 33GT for that purpose. I have an Hatori muffler to try instead of a tuned pipe, to get away from the power jump you get with a tuned pipe. Maybe one day.
hope you build your gas powered F3A soon...
Old 09-08-2018, 11:33 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Is the sigma for sale as a kit or arf?

tony
Old 09-08-2018, 10:39 PM
papaone

Hello Tony
Originally Posted by vatechguy3
Is the sigma for sale as a kit or arf?
tony
Link of building plane and info :
Consultar mais detalhes com Sidi email [email protected] Fone 51 33441920 ou Eduardo Gatto WhatsApp +55 51 992079073
http://www.acrobatico.com.br/f3a2015.htm
Claude