RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Japanese pattern class

Old 03-13-2019, 03:21 PM
kenh3497

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Japanese pattern class

One of the F.B. groups I frequent had mentioned a "70" size pattern class in Japan that was quite popular. It was limited to 1600mm wing and fuse. No other information was given except for a photo of a "bunch" of guys from a contest. Attempting to gather more info from the poster has gone nowhere.

I'm trying to find more info on this 70 class plane. Does anybody have contacts in Japan that might be able to shed some light on the subject. I would be interested mostly in weight limits and suitable IC engines. At a 1600mm wing is, to me, more like a 90 4c engine than a 70 engine.

Thanks!

Ken
Old 03-13-2019, 05:26 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Ken,
I don't know if there were ever formal rules for the '70' class, but a lot of pattern models were produced for it:
Zeque 70
Wingray 70
Raybird 70
Nuance 70
Fantasista 70
Asuyler 70
Super Ascent 70-80 GP/EP
Neo Stage 70
I'm not sure about any specific size limits, but the last model on the list has specs of: span 1570mm; length 1595 - just within a 1600mm limit.
The last 2 models are currently available, though pricey (probably $500 or a little more delivered).
I've owned or own models 1, 2, 3, 6 on the list. They fly well. I had a Hanno special with pipe on #2 and it was probably a little overpowered; so a YS 70 or 80 would be perfect. I can't comment on e-power as I am still 100% glow, but I have a small '50' sized ARF for e-power to experiment with. I resized the Flight Hobby Super Stage EX plans to '50' e-power size and 2-stroke 60 size (a bit bigger than the '70' class). A lot cheaper to own and operate and excellent flight performance, a bit more work in the wind than a 2 meter. Didn't you resize the Balck Magic VF3 to 90 4-stroke size?
I have seen contest photos of '70' sized competitors, but did not try translating the captions for more information.
I do have a few contacts over there who I will reach out to for more information (hopefully).
-Will
Old 03-14-2019, 03:31 AM
kenh3497

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will, Yes I did resize the Black Magic but never built one. Other projects and I was able to come up with a 2M airframe so the project went on the back burner. Then other projects eclipsed the Black magic for the time being. Must be my ADHD kicking in. LOL

My primary interest is in the possibility of a dedicated "class" that would be less intimidating for new pattern pilots to jump into.

Ken
Old 03-14-2019, 03:36 AM
kenh3497

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The following is from a post I made on RCG. So far no response there.

I've been unable to glean any more info concerning the Japanese 70 pattern class. I've inquired of the OP on F.B. and have not had a reply.

SO... what I know at this point

1600 mm (62") wing
1600 (62") length
"70" class power plant, what ever that means... (the airframe seems more like a 4C 90 min or a YS91AC, YS80 or YS70 or a 60 2C
Weight unknown

I would propose in addition to what we already know;

Any 90-4C or 60-2C engine be allowed as those are plentiful both new and used, Electric I have no clue

Set a minimum weight limit instead of a maximum. Encourages a more robust airframe and lowers the cost. No or very
few exocit materials needed and no fancy building techniques, again to lower cost.

No tuned pipes allowed but must be muffled ( again to lower cost and complexity )

Relax the maximum sound requirement ( I know this can be a slippery slope )

Any style landing gear (fixed or retractable) Lets some of the older pattern ships fly if desired

I'm sure I've forgotten something

This could be a class all by itself or could be a sportsman class event. Nothing larger allowed, period! The idea is to make this as painless as possible to get into. If the new pattern pilot decides pattern is not for them they are still left with a very nice sport plane and it didn't break the bank so fewer regrets to give pattern a try. A smaller airframe and lower investment should make this less intimidating for the new pattern pilot... I hope.

And don't forget to advertise the holy heck out of the new class to draw new pilots into it.

Ken