RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

OS33gt Cadence

Old 05-21-2019, 07:37 AM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default OS33gt Cadence

Just thought I would post the rough details of a nicely completed gas powered Cadence by Ryan Gonsoulin. Ryan did a masterful job on the build. He flys pretty well too. He had to move the landing gear plate down to allow the pipe assembly to go over the plate and stay inside the belly of the fuse. He cored all the foam and finished with monokote. The finish weight is 4620g. He found a hatori header and made a MTK style coupler from the header to his header extension pipe. So far, this has held up really well. He added an air inlet at the front of the canopy to make sure heat from the pipe was encouraged to go out the rear exit. That has worked very well. Prop is a falcon 20x10 but he plans to do some experimenting with APCs. Performance is excellent and noise is acceptable now that some cushion has been added to the chin cowl and canopy rails. Weight is 10lbs7oz (incl. 2oz of lead on the tail).

-Mark
Old 05-21-2019, 02:46 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very nice workmanship! Is the engine soft mounted? What RPM is he getting out of that set-up?
Thanks!
Old 05-21-2019, 03:55 PM
flyintexan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Motor is semi soft mounted..bolts from standoffs go thru rubber grommets designed to swell when tightened through the firewall. Plane is using 125mah per masters on rx pack so control surfaces are not seeing terrible vibration really. With 20x10 falcon and break in 1st gallon we saw 7250rpm. Getting on pipe is only needed in uplines and then its still not wide open. This prop is a little noisy so apc tests will be interesting. Ryan is planning to go to the US Nats so we are trying to hide noise as much as possible to make it as appealing as possible to the judges. Ryan is a very talented pilot and quickly learning all the nuances of pattern via help of D6 guys like Don Ramsey and Bryan Hebert. The plane is extremely close in trim and yes, it has the same ke horsepower that my own electric Cadence does. Im really pleased that someone local to me built a gas version as I drew the plans to allow gas, glow, and electric.

BTW, a full cadence kit will be raffled or auctioned at the US Nats.

-Mark
Old 05-22-2019, 10:18 AM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice job on the build, great weight. Looks nice. You should ck towards the end of matt's older thread about this motor. It can be a bit of a pain. Might want to consider getting a backup.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:46 AM
flywilly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Mark,
Thanks for reporting and good luck to Ryan!
Matt started having some mechanical breakdowns in his engine(s) and was a bit discouraged as he had fully committed to gas power (I bought all his remaining glow stuff a few months before he passed away). I recently read, this year, (Flying Giants, maybe) that the OS 33 and maybe other of their gas engine series had some early quality control issues since they were actually being manufactured in China. Those issues have been resolved (this is third hand reporting; so accuracy may be questionable) which may mean previous mechanical problems will no longer be encountered. Otherwise Matt was very happy with the design engineering of the OS.

Pretty likely the APC prop will improve the noise issues. I still fly 2-stroke glow and found that a Falcon CF 19x8 was much noisier than an APC 19x8, but the APC has a lot more blade area. I think the Falcon just unloads more in the air, at least enough to get some noticeable prop noise.

Has Ryan tried the OS gas 'glow-plug' (no ignition required)? I know their 15GT is set up for it and have wondered if it was useable throughout their gas engine line. I am still intrigued by the OS 33 GT for pattern and will continue looking for your reports.

-Will
Old 05-25-2019, 08:14 AM
flyintexan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Update: Apc prop has tested very well for reduced noise. Also Ryan confirmed this OS was a new batch run and I think perhaps even not made in China? I thought there was a rumor of moving production of this motor??

Hopefully the motor will hold up very well for him.

Mark
Old 05-25-2019, 01:39 PM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's great if they got this motor straightened out. It was a really nice setup when running well.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:38 AM
flyintexan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Confirmed. This 33gt says made in Japan.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:22 PM
flywilly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll bet that solves the durability issues. I'll be watching for reports in the K-Factor as well as here.
Thanks Mark!