Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Two fuel tanks in pattern plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 08:43 AM
Ricardo M.

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Two fuel tanks in pattern plane

Why W.Matt airplane (L´azulite) have two fuel tanks, is for the high fuel consumption of the four stroke engine or there is other reason.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44867.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	78385  
Old 11-29-2003, 07:52 PM
heads-up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two fuel tanks in pattern plane

it might be becuase of high fuel consumption but why have two get a bigger tank less weight with one take another reason would be for a smoke system or the second smaller tank is for conditioning the fuel like what the helicopters use the smaller tank prevents alot of foaming of the fuel when its vibrating which will help the engine alot becuase the fuel vibrating cuasing foam leans out youre engine and can cuase it to stop
Old 11-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Chris-B-chips

the smaller tank is called a header tank. the fuel goes from the main tank into the header tank which does not have clunk but a stright peice of coper tube. this means it impossible unless the the tank is empty for the engine to suck air. the bubbles always goe to the top of the tank. It is not used for extra fuel it simply stops the engine from sucking air. He is probably running a 1.40DZ as they are extremely sensitive to air in the fuel line.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:05 AM
Pro pattern

This is interesting so, is this a better setup for the YS DINGO??
And if so can anyone help me with the detail of this setup?

Thanks,
Old 12-01-2003, 01:13 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its merely another option...The DZ on the foam clunk and a std 20oz tank can run dry as well...What tends to happen is as the fuel gets low in the tank, the motor will suck up and air bubble....This makes for a sag in the motors power....It surges as it is going lean for just a sec.

Well with the dual tank setup you won't get the possibility of this air bubble until you get to the lower volume in the smaller fuel tank.

If for example the small tank is 4oz and the larger is 16 giving 20 fl oz of fuel...You will not have a chance of picking up a bubble till about 2-3 ozs left in the small tank depending on how it is setup....But in a single 20oz tank you could get an air bubble around or near say 5-6oz left in the tank...This is rare but it could happen. I usually get the sag as a warning I'm running out of fuel....its around 3-4 ozs of fuel left....Usually if I have a hard pull or snap of something...If I'm doing rolls and flying level it will run dry and never warn me....

The warning will sometimes come around 10mins maybe later....I'm getting about 13mins on a 20oz tank and its about 1oz of fuel when I land....I have flown it dead a few times lately and its nearly bone dry....

Its another option but adds a few extra ozs (4-5) of weight to the model and space for the extra tank. Not to mention more complex fuel system. Its really a problem. I have considered trying it but the weight of the extra fuel tank, fuel lines and mounting stuff make it not practical for me.

Troy Newman
Old 12-01-2003, 03:39 AM
Rendegade

Can we ask Roland???

I thought that most of these guys had started using tettra bubbleless tanks a few years ago..
Old 12-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The tanks in the picture are not the Tettra Bubbless or Bladder tanks.....They are MK tanks.

Troy Newman
Old 12-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Rendegade

Fair enough.