Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RE: RE: RE: FOCUS II ARF construction by-the-numbers

Mike,
    I have learned not to crow about any good weather we have up here.... something about payback....

Hope you enjoy your Focus -2. I think they improved on the old one and the Temptation genes crossed over nicely...

Eric.
    If it has wings I\'\'ll fly it....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, I'm almost done. It's seems to be balancing per plans with the batterpack up front. How and where do you guys put the sleeve for the antena wire?
    Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It was not an easy route to make. Basically I drilled a hole in the fin base prior to gluing on the fin. Then I threaded the antenna tube up and over the fuselage formers and into that hole from inside the fuselage. I tacked the tube to the foam with some balsa scraps and epoxy. (Don't use CA).

This kept the antenna as far away as possible from the pull-pull wires.

Not pretty but effective.

Regards,

Eric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, my usual forward planning has left me with a little problem doing that. I'll have to take a better look tonight.
    Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can still make a hole in the last former by using a sharpened 36" piece of 3/16" piano wire. Once through the bulkhead it goes into foam. Funnily enough, I had to open mine up that way due to glue blocking the original hole. The antenna tube can go right back to the stern/rudder post. That length of antenna tube matches the length of my antenna perfectly.

I used a vari-speed drill at slow rpm to get through the wood and finished it off by hand.

Regards,

Eric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the snow has melted and I got to fly it today.

[img][/img]

Mike
    Team Futaba, Cool Power, Fromeco, Tru Turn, Hyde Soft Mounts, MintHillHobby.com RCXPLANES.com, Little Screamers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My buddy Earl was up from Myrtle Beach this weekend, so I was "forced" to go flying in South Jersey. Sat it rained, Sunday turned out to be just right. (55F, winds SW 5-12mph)

I put the second flight on my Focus-2. Added a few trim clicks (beeps) and it was showtime! I tried to say that there was not much to report in the last post. What I finally figured out was that I really could not find anything to fix. Usually there is something to chew on but not with this ship.

I then copied it into Earl's 10X (He flies mode-2. We could use the buddy box but then he can't dial the throws to his taste. What we do is have both radios on the same frequency so that he can switch off and let my radio take over so I can do the landing honors!)

Earl put the plane though a series of rolls, snap, spins, KE's, up and downs etc. There wasn't anything aerodynamic that he wanted to change. I have always thought that it is a good idea to let someone else fly your plane, just to see if you are fooling yourself. I submitted earlier that this will become a great plane for all classes. It comes from a strong pedigree and there is not much for you to sort out.

My biggest mod was to enhance the ARF colors to get some differentiation from the std. ARF.

I hope you all have similar experiences.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello everyone,

I’m currently finishing my FOCUS II and now wonder how should fit the engine box.
    ( how much right and down trust should I be putting on to the engine box )

I don’t have a clue where I should start.
    I’ll be using the Webra 1.60 Aero XP.
    Could I use the info that Don has put in post Nr. 32 ?
    Is that a good starting point for mine set-up, or should I use the stock setting β€œalignment" that the box came with??

Any info will be appreciated.

Danny
    Nobody is perfect, I am nobody .............. 3rd place, is just 2nd best loser

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The good news is that the angles are all there for you. If you slide the pre-assembled piece into the slots it will give you the correct side and down thrust. Take care to put it in the right way up. The plane is supplied with 3 degrees side and 1 degree down.

I added 1/2 degree of side thrust for my 17 x 13 prop set up. All I had to do was trim a tiny amount from where the engine-box touches the front former on the right hand side.

The fuselage sides are parallel and the front former is square to the sides.

As another tip I found that the top deck cut line is also parallel to the bottom of the plane. Made alignment pretty straightforward.

Are you also asking about aligning the engine.???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RE: FOCUS II ARF construction by-the-numbers

Current throws BTW are

Alierons 12 degrees
    Elevator 14 degrees
    Rudder about 2.5" each way (Just eyeballed it for now.)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Eric.Henderson

Are you also asking about aligning the engine.???

If it's posible that you could give me that, it will be great.

Danny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any other opinion " setting [alignment] " will be also appreciated.

Danny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ref the fitting of the engine...

Putting the engine on the fire/engine/box can be very difficult, but if you follow this procedure you can ease the frustration.

1. Mount the engine on your hydemount.
    2. Dry fit the firewall box
    3. Install the cowl
    4. Measure the distance from the cowl to the firewall. This distance should be the same as from the back of the mount to 1/16” short of the spinner backplate.
    5. If it is not you can cut the firebox to move it back. Mine needed approx ¾” off for the OS 1.60. The tongues stick out more into the fuselage which is no big deal. You can cut them flush if you like.
    6. You can glue the fire box in now. I just tack it at this stage in case I need to change it.
    7. Point the fuselage up in the air and lay the mount and engine on the firewall.
    8. Fit the cowl and spinner backplate.
    9. Mark as best you can with a pencil approx where the mount sits.
    10. remove the cowl and engine etc
    11. A) If the Hydemount has a threaded hole in the backplate you will use it. The idea being that you will cut about a 3/8” hole in the firewall and F1 approx at center of the hydemount position. Then bolt the back of the mount (and engine) to the firewall using a large washer or ply plate. This will let you put on the cowl and spinner back on,
    12. You have access to the bolt through the fuselage. Loosen the bolt and accurately position the engine to match the cowl and header exit etc. Then tighten the bolt.
    13. Remove everything except the mount.
    14. Drill the holes for the blind nuts etc.
    15. Reassemble once more to check everything.
    16. Proceed to add triangle stock and top and bottom covers on fire box etc,

11. B If it is a doughnut type back plate then make a 1/4” ply disk bigger than the hole and tap it for a ΒΌ x 20 wing bolt. Drill a 1/4β€œ hole in the firewall and F1. The plate will allow the mount to move and the bolt stays still.

Hope this helps

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks a lot Eric Henderson for the info.
    It’s now crystal clear for me how I should do this now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To mount the engine I drill a 1/4" hole on the face of the motor box. Use a 1/4-20 bolt with either a large washer or metal bar to temporarily secure the engine mount. Tighten the bolt enough so the mount will not slide on its own but you can still move it around the face of the motor box with your hand. I then tack the engine to the mount with a couple of drops of CA. You can guess pretty close to where it should be by measuring before hand.

Attach the cowl.

Slide the motor box fore and aft and move the engine mount until the spinner backplate aligns with the front of the cowl.

Remove the cowl and verify correct right thrust with the top and/or bottom motor box plates. Correct thrust is pre-cut on the front edge of the plates.

Mark everthing for permanent attachment.

It takes longer to type it than it does to do it.

Lee Davis
    Piedmont Models
    Lee Davis
    Piedmont Models

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

" Eric

I did several changes to mine that I think contributed to the weight
    savings. I used a carbon fiber wing tube, Bolly gear and pants (I Like the
    way the bolly pant locks in without any additional screws) my own axle
    system (very light) I also have a nomex radio/tank tray, and Nomex servo
    mounts for Elev and rud.

This was an ARF. I know, you think I am crazy, but as it turns out it was
    easier to convert to my design than to cover the entire ARC."

An ARF with a pesonalized color scheme by Bryan Kennedy - came out at 9 lb 11 oz

OS 140RX
    ES CF pipe
    Bolly F3A Large Gear/pants
    Tru-Turn FAI w/lightened backplate
    MK tailwheel
    Futaba PCM
    JR 8411SA and 9411SA servos
    Hyde ARIA mount (Integrated nose ring)
    9.11lbs
    Pilot by Extreme RC Qustoms (ERQ) .4oz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh16014.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	110017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up47468.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	110018  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Eric.Henderson,

Your plane lock super.
    And the filing weight..........now that is cool.

Nice plane……… now hope to get my now don, as quickly as possible.

Happy landings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Been somewhat out for a couple of weeks. I "broke" my leg (guess I should go to the doctor and get it checked again) but that did not keep my from a trip to Florida last week to get sun burned and fly the big plane at the JR "Junior" challenge. Any how, getting back on track now...

Wheel pants

The wheel pants that come with the kit are slightly narrower on the bottom than they are on the top. This results in the wheel pants being angled in just a little bit. As far as I can tell, this should be ok, but will know once flight trimming begins.

If one uses the the carbon fiber legs, I believe they align perfectly. Right now I have mine set up for the standard white struts so they tilt in innocently enough. Should know pretty quick if this impacts the flight performance when I get it airborne. Next step is to set up the cowl for the engine, pipe header and needle valve exit.

I saw a really neat idea in the Horizon Hobbies website and instructions to the Funtana. Basically to get the engine/pipe and needle valve cutouts in the exact right spot you cut a piece of cardboard that clears the way you want to, then tape it on in the right spot and then slip the cowl over it and mark where you want the cutouts. I don't know how many times (all of them) that I try and guess or mark from the outside at the wrong spot, then wallow out the hole or clearance slot to make it "fit" the actual position of the needle valve or header. Any way, if you want to see the picture I can scan it in and display.

Later,
    Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don,
    Welcome back. It was quiet without you. What is your estimated completion date?

Maybe we can get together (when I visit Maryland?) and compare planes and observations.

I have my Focus-2 already flown and my second Temptation is one more rainy day away from completion.

Eric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got in three flights with my FocusII yesterday before I about froze to death. It was 45 and sunny, but with a stiff cross wind. Brand new OS1.40 on a bolly 590 mufler. Started right up, and idled a little fast, but slow enough for landing so the decision was made to fly (That's why I like OS's!). Then I noticed that the little tab at the front of the canopy had broke off. Superglued it back on, but as soon as the engine started it came off again. So went with the scotch tape method to hold the front of the canopy on. With Steve Maxwell helping out, the first flight was uneventfull. THe second flight I went through the advanced pattern (I flew intermediate the last couple ofyears, so have very little experience with advanced). I botched all the inverted snaps (45 down and avalanche), but besides that, it flew fine. I was surprised how fast I became comfortable with the plane, especially inverted (my Jupiter seems "nervous" when inverted). I had it set up exactly like my Jupiter, except I had taken all the mixes out of the program. With the severe crosswind, I didn't try to do any trimming. The third flight I tried a little 3D stuff, but don't have enough rudder (only about 1 34" each way). All in all, pretty happy with the plane.
    Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: FOCUS II ARF construction by-the-numbers

Well, my tools are still in the trailer from my Florida "vacation". Hope to have them this weekend or next so I can continue completing the Focus....

The wheel rubs slightly on the outer part of the wheel pant, but I intend to put a small block as a spacer on the outside part of the axle that will plug in to the far side of the wheel pant. This gives a little extra stiffness in the wheelpant assembly and keeps thing intact if one gets into the tall grass. 1/16 inch ply glued on the inside of the wheel pant, then 1/8 in ply square with hole drilled in the middle to interlock with the axle.

Next step is mounting the header, header brace, pipe mount and bottom belly-pan. Neat idea on the belly pan, Eric!

P.S. may have missed it in your post, but where did you get matching blue covering for the fuselage bottom?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don,
    I didn't have any covering, at the time, so I went with what was there already. To just recess the belly pan, I peeled back the covering, cut the wood to accept the section of belly pan, and then re-ironed the covering back down into the new recess.

I believe the colors are Ultracote, white, Flame red and midnight blue.

Regards

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Eric,
    How do the control throws compare to your Focus I?

Don,
    Do you remember what your control throws were on your Focus I?

Thanks
    Harry
    Harry Wagner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Control throws tend to be very much a matter of personal taste.

In pattern config, as opposed to 3-D, the throws are about the same on both Temptations and also on both my late-Focus and Focus-2. (Bear in mind that all four planes had Tempations wings and stabs from the beginning). Also my quirk is that I prefer counter balanced stabs. Gives me longer life on the elevator and "digs" the tail down better in the snap - the last point being a personal belief.

My throws may also have a bit more down than up when flying the Masters routine, for the spin. I do not use ailerons to get a spin.

ELevator is 15 degrees up anmd down with about 40% expo.
    Ailerons ar 12 degrees up and down with about 15% expo.
    Rudder is about 2" each way.

Regards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75865.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	113213  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harry, is that you? I'll see you in Dayton next time I'm in town. Maybe the 5th if I go to Toledo. If you fly JR, somewhere you can buy the new Datasafe and its got my focus program on there which you can download and put on your Tx.

My servos are hooked up with the standard JR control arms (that the servo comes with) and are on the second-hole from the end (of the long sections). Otherwise, I'll look around and see if I can find some throws. (I do go on high rate elevator for the figure Z thing).

I plan to extract a few slices of the red covering that is on the canopy deck floor to cover the vertical fin/ rear fuselage joints. Kind of reminds me of an ACL repair on one's knee. They say that they cut a slice of tendon from your front shin and shove it in your knee (that is- in the hole they drill in your Femor and Tibia) and then put a couple of wing screws in the holes to keep it in place and you're good as new.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast