Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Composite ARF Impact

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:51 AM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite ARF Impact

Thanks for the information Peter. I just got word that my plane was not in the June shipment. It is not expected to arrive in the USA until 9 July. Any pictures and info that you have would be much appreciated.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Neil B.

Nice looking airplane
Old 06-15-2004, 10:08 AM
PeterP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

My digital camera is playing up so I will need to get one from work.

I have had a chance to look even closer at the model and I can tell you that the more I look at it the better the model is especially the price. To put things into perspective a current Zn-Line or PL-prod kit brought into Australia would be 3 times more expensive than this kit. You also have the build the French kits were as the IMPACT is virtually done for you including the fabulous composite wings, tail plane and rudder. No more wrinkles in Monokote.

I own a Zn-Line alliance which was a more expensive kit than this and I have to build it. I can tell you that the glass work is on a par to the French stuff at a fraction of the cost.

I have managed to weigh my wing panels and they are both 395 grams each. All you need to do is add a horn, servo and push-rod to complete the wing ready for flying. I see no reason why this model should weigh any more than 4.6kg complete. With some work and money you could aim for 4.4 kg.

I have compared the fuselage to a PL-Prod Lazulite and I can tell you from a side view that there isnt too much difference. The Lazulite has the canopy a little further forward and a fraction more width around the canopy area. The front of the models are both fairly similar.

Wings are almost identical in plan form and Span and the airfoil sections are almost identical. I cannot see why this model should not fly as well as the Lazulite or Partner.

I plan to put a DZ in this one which should pull it around the sky well. For your interest the model takes a 3.5inch spinner which is also supplied (light weight - carbon fiber and aluminum lightened backplate.

You guys wont be disappointed.

I am not sponsored nor do I have anything to do with the company. I felt that this model represents very good value for money and make you aware of it. I am certain that there will be a few nervous kit manufacturers out there.

Peter
Old 06-15-2004, 12:38 PM
byoung466
My Feedback: (16)

I dont know how crazy this sounds, how about covering the white one with vinyl instead of paint? It wouldnt have the luster or durability of paint but it could make a customized finish easier for the painting challenged like me.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:44 PM
robhoneycutt

whats' the weight?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:26 AM
Tseng

Hi Peter:
Can you post some pics of this plane? It's will be better to have both LaZulite and Impact stand side by side since you mentioned these two planes have so many similarity. I almost chose LaZulite as my back-up plane until the emerging of this plane(Impact).Your article really shakes my decision. It will be much appreciated if you can tell me more information about these two planes. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:49 PM
PeterP

Tseng,

I hope to get some photo's to you in a few days. My digital camera is faulty so I need to bring one home from work.

I am still extremely happy with my purchase. This model should fly very well.

Peter
Old 06-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Howie-RCU

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some shots of the painted Impact. Remember that assembly hasn't been started so the wings and stab are just stting on ground.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90926.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	144735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66031.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	144736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82501.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	144737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70303.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	144738  
Old 06-18-2004, 06:30 PM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

What are the demensions and weight?
Old 06-18-2004, 10:57 PM
byoung466

Their website illustrations show the Canopy painted and yours is white, was that a mistake? Also, I bought my Rev Pro second hand but not assembled and the vents in the cowl were cut, .....

How is the level of completeness of the kit.

Still its a good deal, but I thought the canopy would come painted too.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:34 AM
Howie-RCU

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rev Pro was much more complete than the Impact. The impact is meant to be more flexible in equipment choices so there is less done for you. (It costs less too.) I must admit I hadn't noticed the painted canopy on the web page. It wont take much to put one on.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:38 AM
PeterP

Email response;

I don’t have a copy of the manual yet as I was told it was not ready. The model is mostly complete. You will need the following equipment to complete. The beauty about this kit is your not paying for useless materials you would never use. They have left out the bits which are normally a user's preference.

Parts required to complete are:

Engine Mount - Hyde style is ideal
Nose ring - CFC style would be ideal (gold anodized version from central hobbies)
Throttle pushrod
Wheels
Axles
Fuel Tank
Tail wheel assembly
Pushrods - elevator / ailerons
Rudder pull/pull

Basically everything required to hook up your controls is required. The kit has all surface horns supplied. The ones supplied are laser cut from some type of material and are designed to be glued into each surface. The horns certainly look very adequate but probably not as nice looking as some of the MK accessories.

All carbon laminated plywood is supplied to complete the model. These part are all perfectly cut by laser.

I am very impressed with the kit especially the composite wings / tailplane and rudder. No balsa or sanding to worry about. No Monokote to worry about. All hinging is done in the mould for you. The surfaces are all perfectly aligned - this is another job which you don’t have to worry about. The trailing edges are all perfectly straight and the wing is very stiff which should yield better flight performance.

I have owned Zn-line kits and PL prod kits so I know what quality is. These kits are comparable at a fraction of the cost.

You won't be disappointed. The model should fly well looking at the design because airfoil sections are the same as what current good designs are using. Moments look about right and the fuselage has plenty of depth and volume which will allow it to fly slower with good knife edge capability for rolling loops.

Peter
Old 06-20-2004, 08:36 PM
sandyspad
My Feedback: (2)

I received an IMPACT kit last Thursday. I think it will be fine after the initial impression wears off. It has a 1 1/2 inch crack in the lower rear fuse. The cheek cowl left is cracked. In the engine compartment theres a bunch of white fuzzy stuff that didn't get molded in. There are no instructions. There is no spinner in my kit. Maybe Australia gets better stuff than US. None of the wing or tail tubes would fit in their respective sockets. All of this can be fixed, but I would have liked to have gotten a little better quality for 1000.00.

Mike H.[&o]
Old 06-21-2004, 06:32 AM
byoung466

Mike, If you arent satisfied I would sure let them know. My experience is they will attempt to make you happy. I had and have heard of similar experiences w/ the wing tubes, had to sand until they fit on the rev pro. j

Will you be at the st louis contest, w/ the impace?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:01 PM
NZ Scythe

Mike,

Did you get the white/red model or the painted one?

A friend of mine who knows everything had trouble with a white/red Extra, yet another friend of mine who owes me beer had the painted Extra and it was really good...
Old 06-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Buzz Lightyear

Guys

I test flew my Rev Pro yesterday. I will post some pictures and a report later today.
My wing tube needed sanding and to be made shorter. The stab wasn't perfectly aligned, you have to be careful of 'hanger rash'.......but in the air.........none of that matters.......It is Awesome!!!

Cheers

Buzz
Old 06-21-2004, 05:38 PM
sandyspad

Hi Bryan, I think I'll have it finished and flying by St Louis. If I do it will be there, although I'll probably be flying an Eclipse. Missed you at the KCRC.

Mike H.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:43 PM
sandyspad

I got the painted in the mold one. I emailed my problems to them, but haven't heard back from them yet. This is not a bad kit, but it is still a semi kit. Quite a bit of work to do just no finishing, except to paint the hatch.

Mike
Old 06-21-2004, 07:04 PM
byoung466

My experience is it takes a day or two for them to reply. Im not sure where they operate out of but usually they would get back to me.

Have you put it on a scale yet? I would be interested in knowing the weight of everything. The impact is likely to be my next plane. I moved up to Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago so couldnt make KCRC.

Dont fret to much over the CF spinner, you would eventually loose it like I did and one other guy I know of. I used a CB Associates prop nut and 8-32 bolt which broke and tossed the spinner.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:07 AM
sandyspad

Dan told me you moved yesterday. So now I know. I went nuts today and am getting close to finishing the plane. Have all tail mounted. Have wing tube socket in fuse and anti rotation pin. Have gear mount installed. Have cowl and hatch installed. I ordered a Dave Brown 3 1/2 in spinner. It wont be perfect but it will be close. Going to try and install the firewall tomorrow, then I'll weigh all the stuff together.

Mike H.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:17 AM
byoung466

On my rev pro I notice fuel soaks into the foam laminate. You might want to fuel proof the engine area just in case, I dont think it will affect the strength but it will gain weight.

Well, sounds like its not to much trouble going together.

So sounds like you have to install the firewall as well. I guess that is left out in case you want an electric one. Is the gear plate and former installed?
Old 06-26-2004, 01:18 AM
sandyspad

The IMPACT is finished and ready to fly tomorrow. The Fuse with everything but the NMHI battery weighs 7 lbs. 4 oz. The wings with servos weigh 16 oz. each. Comes out to 9 lbs and 7 ozs. ready to fly minus fuel. Pretty darned impressive, I didn't cut any corners or try and save weight anyplace. The gear mount has to be installed, so too the firewall, pipe tunnel floor. Didn't use any of the provided hardware because I didn't know what or where it went. Will let you know how it flies tomorrow evening.

Mike H.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:21 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Good luck Mike. Any chance of getting some pics posted on the plane? Thanks, Mike M.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:17 AM
PeterP

Mike,

What engine are you using in the IMPACT?
Old 06-26-2004, 11:33 PM
sandyspad

I FLEW IT! Not a really good flight to give much information. Heres the setup: YS140DZ with Jason muffler, JR3421SAs on the elevators, 8411 on the rudder pull pull, 8231s on the ailerons. 1500 mil NMHI battery, 25 oz. Tetra tank (DZ's are hungry critters). All up weight 9lbs. 8 ozs. The flight was no good for wring out because of a couple of problems, one was mine and involved my goofing on the setup copied from my ECLIPSE. The other was a doozie, They have a huge hole from the engine compartment in to the fuse, well the air flow blew my canopy out on the left side. I cut a piece of celastic and fit it in the hole and will fly again tomorrow. I balanced it on the tube and it flew ok, don't have any idea where they want it balanced. A rep from Germany emailed me and said it would be a month before instructions are out. How can you sell a plane and not be able to tell people how to build it? DUH![]

Mike H.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.