Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

CPLR - Oxalys NEW!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 01:19 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CPLR - Oxalys NEW!!!!

OK, the Coolpower finally came in so I drove over to ZN France yesterday and took the tour of the new factory. BIG!!! NEW!!! NICE!!! And the coffee was great also. I now have 40 gallons of Heli in the basement and will host a cocktail party soon!!!

OK, the Oxalys is made with a cavity molding that extends about 6"-8" past the trailing edge of the wing. This will allow the use of a 2-stroked pipe without having to chop it down where the tuning suffers. From what I learned, the model will go into production this winter. The plug-in wing version is not yet ready but that plan is still a go. The plug-in wing version is probably the optimal choice for the long piped 2-strokes, but the one-piece version will accomodate with the extended cavity.

Mark
Old 06-27-2004, 04:08 PM
piotrekpepe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Photos in www.znline.com from now. Beautiful model !!
Old 06-28-2004, 02:44 AM
Boogie

I've seen it, but are there any other photos that this one.
Yet, still it looks nice!!!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 09:30 AM
MarkNovack

A couple of others.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21773.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	148200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39566.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	148201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54072.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	148202  
Old 06-28-2004, 12:58 PM
jamesjoneill

Hi Mark,

without giving away any trade secrets... what are the main differences between the Oxalys and the Synergy? There are the obvious styling tweaks of course, but beyond that there must be some things that Christophe was unsatisfied with in the Synergy, that he has tried to adress here. I was wondering what he had done and what he is trying to achieve with it?

Thanks,

James
Old 06-29-2004, 03:08 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

He's realised that even the good guys with their factory motors have to work hard to keep a big model on line in a cross wind and he has decided to downsize a little.

Of course sales will go up a bit too as we all decide we have to have the latest model but in this case this change will benefit Joe Average which the trend towards very big models with average power engines certainly didn't.

Malcolm H
Old 06-29-2004, 08:07 AM
MarkNovack

James,
The basics are a different airfoil and wing taper, obvious differences in the fuselage (kind of Enigma like in the side area balance but smoother and more flowing in keeping with traditional CPLR style). Also, the extended pipe cavity for longer pipes and then again, the option of 1 piece wings and plug-in wings.

I will not charge out here and say that this airplane is going to change the way we fly and the world of F3A, but it should present a solid forward evolution in F3A airplanes. Like most airplanes of the current trend, this design pulls attributes from other airplanes that work well and combine them into a form that is pleasing to Christophe (and me also, as I find his designs to be very pleasing to the eye).

Mark
Old 06-29-2004, 11:53 AM
najary

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: MarkNovack

OK, the Oxalys is made with a cavity molding that extends about 6"-8" past the trailing edge of the wing. This will allow the use of a 2-stroked pipe without having to chop it down where the tuning suffers.

Hi Mark
Can you explain what do you mean by "A cavity molding that extend about 6" - 8" past the trailing edge" ? Is it apply in one piece wing ?
Is it possible to use the ASANO 730 mm pipe in it ?

Isaac Najary, Israel
Old 06-29-2004, 12:07 PM
MarkNovack

Hello Najary,
The cavity is in the fuselage. The fuselage is molded concave from the rear of the belly pan allowing the pipe to sit tecessed for another 6"-8". If you look at the picture of my Majestic on the ZN site you will see in effect the same thing, just not as long. I cannot say exactly how long a pipe it will hold but I would estimate about 240mm longer pipe length than the Synergy. The two piece winged version will probably be somewhat different as the belly pan will probably simply be extended fully farther to the rear.

Mark
Old 06-29-2004, 12:15 PM
jamesjoneill

Mark,

thanks for that. The wing changes wouldn't have something to do with improving his scores in the snaps would it??

I have to agree with you that Christophe does design a pretty plane. However, I cannot afford another model right now so I'll stick with my trusty Alliance!

Maybe next year...

James
Old 06-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Biggles-RCU

Hi chaps,

I remember talking to a friend of mine and we were talking about what CPLR was going to design for his next model. Suxess clearly needed more time and the impression I got was that it was a great looking model, that sadly CPLR didn't seem entirely happy with, which for me seemed a little unusal. I had the sense that after the WC at Poland and the sucess of the Synergy that he was simply going to design a revised version.

For me, it's like an Engima & Evoulis, theey are both like Ferrari F1 cars, both built on a well proven formula that works.

I love this model, the wing, the fuselage, I can't help that CPLR has designed yet another cracker!!

CPLR - you are awesome!

Biggles
Old 06-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Archie

Id say the Suxxess is not so much an inconclusive design as it is not whole heartedly suitable to current F3a schedules in all conditions.

F3a has certainly moved inthe direction of Biplane benefits in recent years but as we all know they (at this size) are more susseptable (spelling !?) to cross winds etc and whilst they perform some manouvres better than monoplanes, others they fall down on.

At the moment F3a is not completely Bipe friendly (for the top guys) and I doubt it ever will be.... at least not with the EP situation.... I thin this will be the next revolution...and I dare say within 5 years will bare some influence over the f3a comp itself..
Old 07-01-2004, 06:17 AM
Frederic Verroust

photo of the cavity in the fuselage :

Name:	Tr50721.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	149198  
Old 07-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Frederic Verroust

other pictures of Oxalys :

Name:	Nk27894.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	149262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30970.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	149263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37759.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	149264  
Old 07-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Gregg G
My Feedback: (7)

Mark,
Any idea when we will start seeing it in the States?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Schpankme

Take a closer look at the CPLR designs (Evolis, Enigma, Oxalys) he's got it right. For the new 2005 F3A Competition requirements, it’s encouraging to see this designer moving away from the mediocre designs, which were created by scaling down full-scale aerobatic planes and back to the more traditional lines of a sleek well thought out pattern plane.

_________
Schpankme

“The secret to selling lures is to please the fisherman first and then the fish.â€
Old 07-01-2004, 08:12 PM
wladkummer

kinda returning to curare like designs...
the oxalys is a very sexy airplane
Seems to have less wing area than some of the more current designs...should be great for windy days
Old 07-01-2004, 08:14 PM
wladkummer

Also the one piece wing design should make the airplane lighter and less expensive....
Old 07-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Schpankme

I'd like to see the Oxalys (Axis ?) use a reveres NACA Duct in the fuselage, instead of the open cavity as designed.

_________
Schpankme

Name:	Ay75720.gif
Views:	37
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	149450  
Old 07-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Bob Hartwig

Very nice plane. It may be the pictures, but that rudder looks tiny.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Adamg-RCU

Bob, the rudder on the Enigma is also quite small. With a very tall and airfoil-shaped fuselage that high/thick-point at the front of the wing, these planes need less yaw control from the rudder to do the same movement. Marco was saying he tried his Supreme with a small rudder and went back to a more conventional sized one, though. The new ZN planes also seem to have rather small vertical fins, which allows for small rudders. As I understand it, anyway.

Malcolm, I'm not seeing it: How is the Oxalys downsized from the Synergy?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:29 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Colour makes a big difference to how a model looks.

Having seen the bare white fuz at Romilly it definitely looks smaller than the Synergy moulding.

Malcolm
Old 07-02-2004, 02:30 AM
MarkNovack

The size of the rudder is a bit of an optical illusion. While much smaller than the full sized rudder of the Supreme, the large fuselage side deceives the viewer a bit by making the fin/rudder look smaller than they are. Also, perspective properties in the photo compound the illusion. The yaw effectiveness is impressive, outrageous even, on the small rudder worn by the Synergy.

Mark
Old 07-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Biggles-RCU

Hi,

It was nice to see Biplanes in F3A, which I personally liked. I do still still like to big fuselages, the Caprise style (which I think is by far and away still the best looking F3A/Freestyle model ever!). I do respect the Synergy - Evoulis styles but I can't look at them and think that they look like a real Aeroplane, which sadly they don't. However, there is always reason for this, and if this way works then I respect it. I think Oxalys is a cracker, certainly better styled then Synergy.

Can I ask one Q

Has ZN taken over CPLRS building, Jacques must have built tons of models for C & BPLR , I guess he needs a rest!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

That is quite honestly the NICEST looking plane I have seen - ever. Like you said Mark, the lines of all of Christophe's airplanes are pleasing, but I think this one takes the cake! I think I have found my next pattern plane...

I am curious though, Mark. Do you know anything about the plug-in wing version? I assume it will have top-access. I also noticed that Christophe is using dual elevator servos. Do you know if this is for balance purposes or just for the power? Also, I really like the wing covering on the Oxalys, and I remember JP cutting the covering for Doug Cronkhite's Supreme. How much would this cost extra? Thanks alot Mark!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.