Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Automotive paint for pattern models ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Automotive paint for pattern models ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 06:26 AM
shane-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automotive paint for pattern models ?

Hi,

Re Mark Novack - Synergy:The paint is automotive laquer covered with clear coat. Extremely light, it's sanded to 2000 before clear coating. We run 30% nitro and never have a problem with paint attack. This Synergy's complex, six toned paint job added less than 100 grams to the fuselage. The vinyl graphics are under the clearcoat.

Could Mark or anyone who knows give me some more detail on the type of paint to use. I know very little about automotive paint. Is it two pack acrylic, two pack laquer ?? What is the brand name? What do i ask for when i go to buy it ?? Do you thin it out before spraying ?

How difficult is a two tone scheme ?

Many thanks

Shane
Old 07-09-2002, 10:00 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ohhh, details!!!

Shane,
I hate to say but other than the info I already gave I am not much help. Our painter speaks French only and I speak only a little French.

What I have understood is that he uses acrylic laquer color coat. I believe he ads a flex additive. I am not sure if it is a two part paint or not.

According to the painter, painting two toned, or even six toned schemes is easy, but time and patience is mandatory. Of course, he has been a professional paint and body man for about twenty years, so I'm sure it's easy for him. His airplane paint work is the best I have ever seen, and I have seen some good ones. He has also done some repairs and the airplanes look like new with very little added weight.

However, if my memory of using acrylic laquer serves correct, it is easy to use. Runs, which are not a problem if you spray the recommended light coats, can be sanded away if they do occur, the paint dries quite quickly. The more difficult part is the clear coat. When we had the paint shop in the factory, the airplanes still went to a professional painter for the clear coat. It's really difficult to get the correct amount of coverage and a professional shop also has a dust free facility. Dust is not something that makes clear coat look good.

My recommendation is to go to your local paint supplier for recommendations on types of acrylic laquer and clear coats. They can also match your selected covering PERFECTLY. Paint has really changed since I did cars many years ago. Easier to use, better results. The hard part for most folks is finding an adequate place and making the investment for equipment that gets used rarely.

Mark
Old 07-09-2002, 07:31 PM
djlyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automotive paint for pattern models ?

I've used Dupont automotive laquers. They work great. You use the appropriate reducer for spraying. The amount depends on the equipment. I use a touchup gun to spray and only thin just enough to get a good spray. I used the appropriate Dupont hardener for getting the stuff fuel prof and fish eye reducer to prevent fish eye. For primer I used the appropriate Dupont automotive sanding primer. The automotive paint store can tell you what goes with what.
Now that I'm back in California where I can't get the laquer reducer anymore I'm going to try water based automotive polyurethane.

The Dupont automotive laquer is not a 2 part paint.

2 tone with this stuff is easy. Get the green elastic automotive masking tap (expensive) but real good and easy to use