Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Scratch built Giles-ish

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 09:22 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch built Giles-ish

Hi, I have been following a few of the build threads here with a lot of interest. I am now going to start my own build thread.

This thing started as a set of plans for the wood version of the Gator Giles. I hung the plans on my work shop wall and stared at them for over a year. At first, I thought the designer, a guy named Ron Chidgey, had gone off his rocker with the fuse structure. It looked like it was more trouble than it was worth. On the box fuselages I had built before, the sides would be joined, and cross grain balsa would be glued to the bottom, then trimmed. He had the bottom cross grain pieces going inside the fuse, and resting on top of the bottom stringers. The more I stared at those plans, the more it started to make sense to me.

Around November of last year I decided to build my own design, using the Giles as a template. I took measurements of the moments. etc and sketched up a basic plan. Then I proceeded to *build* the plane in 3D to make sure all of the parts would fit.

I have just now started the actual build. I printed the patterns for the parts and spent last weekend making a kit. Monday I started gluing the fuse. the following pictures are of my progress so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63534.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	143859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47776.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	143860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40375.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	143861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98116.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	143862  
Old 06-16-2004, 09:46 AM
dreadnaut

Default RE: Scratch built Giles-ish

More pictures. I placed the fuse sides on the plan then I started from the back and placed former, floor, former, floor etc. The formers and floor pieces interlock. If all of the pieces are cut right, this thing comes out light, and straight.

I also made my first mistake[:@] . Notice the two forward floor pieces. I cut them with the grain running the wrong direction. (d'oh). I did not feel like re-cutting them since the only balsa I had on hand was about 20 lb/cuft. You will see in the next set of pics that I fixed the problem with 1/4 square cross braces on the underside.

Name:	Fd92470.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	143873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65608.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	143874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82487.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	143875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27744.jpg
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	143876  
Old 06-16-2004, 10:03 AM
dreadnaut

Here I glue the firewall. then the bottom sub-formers, and the pipe tunnel sides. Instead of a heavy ply firewall, I decided to make a *built up* firewall from 1/8 lite-ply (What!?!? Is he crazy?) Well maybe, But I think I can make it strong and light. I am also using a Hyde mount, and I have been told that one of the things that a soft mount does is reduce the stress on the firewall.

Notice also that I have built the right thrust into the firewall and drilled the motor mount holes. Drilling holes in the firewall after the the thing is built can be a royal pain. This is one of the advantages of being able to *virtually* build the model first.

Name:	Ur52412.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	143880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64332.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	143881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91852.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	143882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93508.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	143883  
Old 06-16-2004, 10:27 AM
dreadnaut

Last two pics show the progress as of last night. The CAD design even enabled me to set up my band saw to cut the tail wheel block to the shape shown. It came out right on.

So far, almost all of the parts fit perfectly. One of the bottom sub-formers was off a little. I have to look into it.

[btw. if the construction looks a little rough in the last pic, it's just a dry fit.]

Name:	Jh16662.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	143894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21869.jpg
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	143895  
Old 06-16-2004, 10:40 AM
kjpsen

Hi there

It look's great it's really a pleasure to see someone who like to scratch - build there planes, here in Denmark where i live, allmost no one do it.

I will follow this thread, and will be looking forward to see some more pics of your plane.

Best regards
Kjeld Pedersen
Old 06-16-2004, 03:24 PM
lfalsetto
My Feedback: (10)

I actually took the scratch built Giles and built it and made a plug and fiberglass fuse. Flies great but I still like wood because of it's ability to fix. If I could figure out how to add pictures I would post a few.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:15 PM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

nice start Dread. How long did the CAD work take?
Tom
Old 06-16-2004, 06:47 PM
dreadnaut

Kjeld,

Thanks for your comments. The situation is the same here in the U.S. Building seems to be a dying art. I think that *being too busy* has become America's latest status symbol.

Ifalsetto,

I started a plug for a SU31. It was taking me too long to finish so I put it on the shelf for now. I would like to see a picture of your FG from scratch.

Tom,

I wish I knew exactly how long it took in hours. AutoCAD has a timer function, but you have to remember to turn it off when you get up from the computer. I spent about a week and a half in November, did some in February and march. A few weeks ago I spent about five hours *disassembling* the computer model and aligning the parts to print the patterns.

I'm still not done. I was getting ready to close the bottom of the fuse and realized that I hadn't planned for the attachment of the LG [d'oh]. Hand launch pattern? Now there's a thought.

Dave.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:05 PM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

Well they aren't scoring takeoffs and landings anymore are they?
Old 06-16-2004, 11:30 PM
lfalsetto

dreadnaut

click on the jpg I think I did this right to post a picture, it weighs 9 lbs 18 oz, just can't get to the point of saying 10 + pounds. OS 140 and pulls like a bandit. This was the first lay up. I would change the tunnel design because it added a lot of weight, so did the clear canopy. Also there is a jpeg of my MAUI done in DesignCAD

Larry

Name:	Fd90929.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	144142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49120.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	144143  
Old 06-17-2004, 07:21 AM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice work dreadnaut, I'll be watching your thread. I'm doing cad work myself to improve my first scratch build....To design and build, it's as much work in cad as it is in the workshop, but in the end ver rewarding to me.

I just received a set of plans for the l'essence gasser pattern design. (great set of plans for cheap! - RCM) It also is very Giles like. I know several people have built them for nitro by moving the wing back, but haven't seen any online.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tph1

Well they aren't scoring takeoffs and landings anymore are they?
They score them in pattern. I think you are thinking of IMAC. Though this plane looks a lot like a Giles, I think it is a pattern plane; unless it was posted in the wrong place.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:51 AM
lfalsetto

Both planes resemble Giles but were designed and built on Pattern specs. IE better wing for pattern and dimensions and weight. You are correct in AMA Pattern Takeoffs and Landings are scored.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:29 AM
dreadnaut

I have been making progress, but have been a bit lazy about posting pics.

I have the top of the fuse framed and sheeted, and the cockpit framing done. I hesitated to close off the bottom of the fuse since I don't have the LG yet. I finally did it just because I felt I have to move on.

I have also built the elevator pushrod. The CF rods come fron CST, and the ends are just 4-40 allthread cut and epoxied in. I prefer this setup to the MK bellcrank. I mount the elevator servo on its' side to eliminate woble, and guide it near the tee with a teflon bushing.

Cutting the blanks for the wings was a pain. I am trying to develop a jig to make this step fast and accurate. It's not quite there yet.

I start working on the plugs for the cowl an canopy today.

I should get the cores cut this week. I have a Feather Cut machine. It takes some practice to get it just right, but this thing will cut cores just as accuratly as a CNC machine.

Name:	Tq48612.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	148214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15664.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	148215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23770.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB