Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Typhoon 2000 (TEMPEST) modifications thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Typhoon 2000 (TEMPEST) modifications thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Typhoon 2000 (TEMPEST) modifications thread

I'm going to wait to the last possible time to decide on my setup since things are evolving so quickly. There is a lot of good data coming out from those running electrics. I flew Dave Snow's electric Impact last weekend and it was definately a change from glow power. The power available was unbelievable. I am definately going to try electric. Although I switched from the 11" 3 blade that I flew at the NATS to a 10" 3 blade now on my 140RX and I absolutely LOVE IT. At least I have plenty of time to do the electric since I have 2 good glow planes ready to go right now. (both OS 140RX..of course)
Old 09-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

I can't help myself...we all know that the answer to any aerodynamic issues with any plane can be fixed with one of these....Why, if CPLR puts one on his plane.....we all should, right??? LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82251.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	320696  
Old 09-08-2005, 02:37 AM
ata

Hello Sig,

congratulation to your Tempest! Could you give us a detailed weight report? Is your wings enough strong (have you made snap rolls)?
Old 09-08-2005, 03:07 PM
sigk

Hi Mike
The wing is set at 0,25° but I plan to reduce it when I remove the fuel tank from the nose. Right now I'm waiting for a new carb to use with the Perry pump.
I have only flown it in wind but when I get the CG right I will take it to the field very early in the morning, before the wind picks up so I can trim it properly. But the pitching is so little I wont bother mixing it out.
I'm very comfortable with the plane as it is and couldn't be happier with it.
The new wing is great and it looks awesome in the air.

Hi Attila
The wings are about 1150 gr so they are not super light.
With hardwood spars, I also did use strips of fiberglass cloth, running from the root rib beyond the wing tube rib and also around the landing gear and servo openings. They certainly seem strong enough but time will only tell how long they will hold up.
Yes I have done snap rolls with it, but they are not violent at all compared to smaller models. And actually they look rather good. I'm certainly not doing any power dives and usually snaps with half throttle. Anyway, it looks promising and I'm going to continue trying out this building method this winter.

Name:	Us53957.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	321528  
Old 09-12-2005, 07:20 PM
HuaChu

The progress of my tempest building project is really far behind yours. I just finished all the finishing, and here are a few pics.
I named it "wizard". The plane is covered with fiberglass and coated with PPG paint.

Mike Shih

Name:	Lj22818.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	323442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97260.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	323443  
Old 09-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Erik Johansson

Wow! What an incredibly beautiful Tempest!

/Erik
Old 09-13-2005, 06:24 AM
Gregg G
My Feedback: (7)

Prittiest Icepoint I've seen!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:09 AM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Gregg G

Prittiest Icepoint I've seen!
Heh...that's what I thought when I first looked at it. I had to look twice...

Great job though!

-Mike
Old 09-13-2005, 09:39 PM
HuaChu

Thanks guys !
I use similar scheme as Astral-X, Ice-point landing gear and home made wheel pants.
Hopefully, I will have chance to put everything together and fly it before the snow (I am in michigan).
I have been struggling between building the plane and watch my new baby ( he just turn 4 months). Anyway, this project means a lot to me. It is my 3rd pattern plane (kaos 40, Aurora 60 and Tempest ), and I learn a lot from you guys

Thanks again

Mike Shih
Old 09-14-2005, 12:31 AM
macro-RCU

What a beautiful plane...

Regards
Old 09-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Gregg G
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Mike,
Just curious, did you say it's fully painted? If so what's the weight?
Greg
Old 09-14-2005, 05:27 PM
GuyIncognito

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike Shih

Very nice plane. i was wondering what your process was for glassing the fuselage. Materials / process?.

Bill T.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:21 PM
HuaChu

Thanks a lot guys !
Greg : Yes, it is fully painted. but I do not know about the wright, because I don't have the scale at this moment. I am going to buy one soon, and I will update the weight once I have it.

Bill: I pretty much follow the process suggested by MR. Hester at the link : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1767745 for glassing the fuselage and the wing as well. I used 0.7 oz glass for everything except for the bottom of the wing, where I used ~ 1.2 oz glass for better reinforcement ( I use 1/16 balsa sheeting the wing). Also, I use west system epoxy for glassing and only apply one coat.

Mike Shih
Old 09-26-2005, 04:51 PM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

Any update on plans, Cowls ... availability. Looking for a winter project.

ORIGINAL: MHester

You mean Gator is STILL out of stock?????

Well, hopefully I'll have something much better than a T2K or a Tempest available soon. I'm testing my tail off, so far so good. When it's ready I'll start a new thread.

Till then, good luck and good building.

-Mike
Old 09-26-2005, 05:34 PM
MHester

Welp only speaking for myself, I'm devoting all of my resources to the new plane. But there's only one of me. I still have the Tempest drawings of course, but I have no control over the availability of the parts/plans etc for the Typhoon 2000. Hence why I decided to go this way. All of the assurances in the world don't get parts out. I can certainly understand and appreciate the amount of work that goes into these parts, and why it seems nobody wants to do them.

I'm currently cutting foam cores and making composite parts for several of these new planes, and trying furiously to finalize the plans. My intent is for it to be so complete and easy that pretty much anyone could build it with a high degree of success. Unfortunately this means a lot of time and work up front for me, but it should be well worth it I think. This plane is competetive at the highest levels, fairly easy to make weight even with electrics, and the intent is to simply offer an alternative that as of now, really just doesn't exist. But of course there are new planes coming down the pike all the time, but none of them fly like this one (it's just different).

It should be a good winter [8D]
-Mike
Old 09-26-2005, 11:43 PM
troyhm

Hi Mike

Sounds like you have been very busy lately. I bet there are quite a few people waiting to build and fly you new design. Its increible just how many tempest that have been built just on here. Im sure you have a winning design with your new aircraft and like you said the parts will be supplied by yourself so no reliance on another company. Keep up the great work and when everything is finalized and ready please put me at the top of your list

Thanks

Troy
Old 10-04-2005, 07:35 AM
troyhm

Hi everyone

There are some really good tempests out there. I hope mine comed out as good. I am currently building the wingd is there anyway or how do you make sure the wing tube has proper alignment? Is the wing tubes epoxy to the wing ribs or spars ? in the gator instructions for the wing adjuster they to use one at rear and foward did everyone do this. Any suggestions where to get the carbon fiber tape from

thanks

troy
Old 10-05-2005, 10:21 AM
MHester

ORIGINAL: troyhm

Hi everyone

There are some really good tempests out there. I hope mine comed out as good. I am currently building the wingd is there anyway or how do you make sure the wing tube has proper alignment? Is the wing tubes epoxy to the wing ribs or spars ? in the gator instructions for the wing adjuster they to use one at rear and foward did everyone do this. Any suggestions where to get the carbon fiber tape from

thanks

troy
Troy, the C/F tape for the spars can be had at a number of places. All you need is .007" strips. Just CA them to the one side of the spar, and that side faces outward on both top and bottom.

The wing tube is actually very simple. From front to rear alignment, just line it up with the plans. If you have to sand and tweak a rib or 2 to get it right, that's fine.

The alignment vertically is done by building the wing upside down (top touching the building surface) and use a level on the tube. IE install the tube in the sicket and use a level to check your table first, then the level of the tube. it should be the same. For what it's worth, if you cut the holes in the right place, in my own experience I've never had one even slightly off vertically. From front to back it may move a little but this is usually due to the spar slots and you can just sand those to fit.

Glueing depends entirely on how good you fit is in the rib. I always use epoxy on the last rib and between the spars (the spars will interfere a little so use a wing tube with a piece of sandpaper to get this to sit down correctly). If the rest fit snugly, just use some thick CA. Leave the root loose as you will need to install the wing on the plane and align and glue the center tube first, then use the curve of teh fuse to set the proper root rib position. Just tack glue some small 1/4" pieces to the root rib and tack those to the fuse. When the wing is perfectly aligned, glue the root rib to the spars and the bottom sheeting. Then cut the temporary blocks loose and install the upper sheeting.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have anymore questions.

-Mike
Old 10-05-2005, 11:42 PM
troyhm

mike

thanks for the response. I have just finished cutting all the parts out and adding the lightening holes. The spar is pinned down to the building board and the trailing edge jig is made. I am just about ready to start glueing the ribs in. I found the carbon fiber strip today and will add that tonight. So when I glue the ribs in they should be upside down. I must admit I am pretty happy with all the holes and alignment hole they were cut out on the cnc machine and th tube slides in very nicely.

I heard you metion some where you used bolly large f3a landing gear, is this correct ?? I need to order some of them from adelaide not far from here ? what prop would you run on the os160

would you recomend any changes for an os160

thanks

troy
Old 10-06-2005, 12:03 AM
MHester

Yes I have been using the bolly f3a large gear. However some new alternatives have cought my eye. Particularly the ES gear, and the gear that Nedim Bek sells from Canada. My first choice would be Matt Kebabjian's gear, but he's been MIA in a move and stuff. Those from NB are very nice looking and much cheaper, however I haven't seen one in person so I don't know if it will hold up. Yet.

The only change I'd recommend for the OS 160 is to not run an OS 160 =P (Unless it was the FI version). I never could get that thing to work right in this plane. I had one on a 2 meter Funtana Pro and it ran great. But I put one on teh Black Magic and had nothing but problems. Specifically a rich bottom end that I simply couldn't get rid of no matter what I did, unless I got it so lean it would starve in a vertical. I dunno, that engine and me have never gotten along very well.

But assuming you use it, I had a lot of luck with both the 17x13APC and the 3 blade 15.75x13 APC. I tried the 16x11 from Mejlik, but it was LOUD. It also had the best performance of all of them.

-Mike
Old 10-06-2005, 10:30 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, I am still MIA unfortunately. New job is consuming every bit of my time, splitting my time 50-50 between the two coasts. Also am tryingto settle into a new house and empty all the boxes. It hasn't been any fun at all.

Only 1, 5 minute flight with Temptress in 7 months and counting. Just don't have easy access to a practical field for pattern. Dave Lockhart lives too far and Deano, Ed Alt and Lachowski are also. What's a frustrated pattern guy to do. I keep plugging along

My apologies for not answering sooner. Just got connected this past month.

best regards

Matt

PS-- I really miss the easy pleasy life style of the south and miss my old pattern friends. Hope I can catch up with the local troops more often also, to ease the pain. Boo Hoo, crying in my suds!!! Just kidding
ORIGINAL: MHester

Yes I have been using the bolly f3a large gear. However some new alternatives have cought my eye. Particularly the ES gear, and the gear that Nedim Bek sells from Canada. My first choice would be Matt Kebabjian's gear, but he's been MIA in a move and stuff. Those from NB are very nice looking and much cheaper, however I haven't seen one in person so I don't know if it will hold up. Yet.

The only change I'd recommend for the OS 160 is to not run an OS 160 =P (Unless it was the FI version). I never could get that thing to work right in this plane. I had one on a 2 meter Funtana Pro and it ran great. But I put one on teh Black Magic and had nothing but problems. Specifically a rich bottom end that I simply couldn't get rid of no matter what I did, unless I got it so lean it would starve in a vertical. I dunno, that engine and me have never gotten along very well.

But assuming you use it, I had a lot of luck with both the 17x13APC and the 3 blade 15.75x13 APC. I tried the 16x11 from Mejlik, but it was LOUD. It also had the best performance of all of them.

-Mike
Old 10-06-2005, 11:00 PM
MHester

Well, best of luck to you up there Matt. We're thinkin about ya down here. I'd be blocking a road to fly off of somewhere.....

So I guess you'll just have to make it to the nats next year [8D]

Cya,
-Mike
Old 10-08-2005, 04:49 PM
troyhm

hi

I have cut out all the ribs for the stab including the tube mounting holes and they line up perfect with the gator typhoon plans but on the tempest planes it is out of alignment should i have moved the wing tube location. It is the pbg stab tube and gator adjusters as recomended. In building the plans say block up the the le and Te with 1/4 inch blocks is this how to build it then line up the centre lines on the ribs with the centre lines LE and Te. Do you only block up at rib1 of the LE and TE or do you block up all the way ? I hope this makes sense I know they are simple questions> i can take pictures easily if that helps at all. Hows the Black Magic going ??

thanks

Troy
Old 10-09-2005, 05:15 PM
MHester

ORIGINAL: troyhm

hi

I have cut out all the ribs for the stab including the tube mounting holes and they line up perfect with the gator typhoon plans but on the tempest planes it is out of alignment should i have moved the wing tube location. It is the pbg stab tube and gator adjusters as recomended. In building the plans say block up the the le and Te with 1/4 inch blocks is this how to build it then line up the centre lines on the ribs with the centre lines LE and Te. Do you only block up at rib1 of the LE and TE or do you block up all the way ? I hope this makes sense I know they are simple questions> i can take pictures easily if that helps at all. Hows the Black Magic going ??

thanks

Troy
The T2K plans are wrong. They show the tube in one position on the stab plans, and another on the fuse plans. Truthfully, the difference is so slight it really doesn't matter.

The stab is built essentially the same way, yes. The only difference is that the tip is clipped, and the elevator part is built on the table with the fin points sticking straight up in the air. Otherwise the elevators may come out warped. When you get it aligned, sand the elevator part flat on a table. Sheet one side, then the other....fairly straight forward. It's not the best way in the world to do it, but a complicated jig seemed a little too much. As long as it's not warped, it's not critical. Anything more and I'll need pics.

The Black Magic is going well, all 4 of them. I'm taking pics, building, condensing notes and redrawing plans. 16 hours a day+ 7 days a week and still going strong. I'll either get it done or die trying.

Let me know how it goes,
-Mike
Old 10-10-2005, 07:04 AM
shomenda
My Feedback: (2)

Mike:
With all that building you've been doing, when do you practice flying ? Your modifications thread makes for interesting reading, especially for those of us with limited pattern type aircraft building experience. I'm about 75% finished my Hydeout refurb and I'm looking for your suggestions regarding installation of the fixed landing gear support block and prepping balsa wood prior to application of primer and finish coat(s). There's a balsa plug in the vertical fin used to mount the rudder which I removed in order to gain access to the inside for repairs. On top of the vertical fin is a balsa horn. In your opinion, what is best to prep these parts prior to paint? As for the landing gear support block and surrounding bulkhead formers, I plan to replace old ply with new ply but I have no drawings for the ply bulkheads inside. Any suggestions? I've tried to contact Guerin but no success. Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.