Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Typhoon 2000 (TEMPEST) modifications thread

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Typhoon 2000 (TEMPEST) modifications thread

Old 10-04-2004, 07:33 AM
troyhm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Typhoon 2000 (TEMPEST) modifications thread

Hi Mike

How did you cut out your ribs so accurately they dont fit on my friends cnc machine and mine is not quite complete yet. You also metioned how you constructing tecniques for your wings can you please give me a brief outling for this

Thanks

Troy
Old 11-12-2004, 10:58 AM
lfalsetto
My Feedback: (10)

Anyone know where I can get a Typhoon 200 cowl and canopy? Gator doesn't seem to have them.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:57 AM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Gator just recently had a fire and lost a LOT of stuff. I'm more worried about getting wing adjusters myself.

This is why I HATE being at the mercy of someone else's supply chain. So I'm currently designing a plane from the ground up, and expect to have all foam cores, carbon/glass parts IN HOUSE and at the drop of a pin. So if you guys wonder what I'm doing, I'm currently cutting cores and designing. If all goes well, I'll have this new beast ready by spring, and the parts/plans/short kit available by summer. I feel deeply for them at Gator, but I gotta have parts, so I'll just make my own and have stuff ON HAND whenever me or anyone else needs it. Preferrably bring someone else in so that if my life gets crazy others don't suffer for it. With that being said, I really and truly feel bad for all the crap Diana Lakin and her family have been through over the past year or 2.

Plus this new plane is a radical break into the future for me, it's going to be a gorgeous trophy magnet with any luck. So that's what's up with me, I'm playing with drawings and foam .

-Mike
Old 11-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Erik Johansson

ORIGINAL: MHester

Gator just recently had a fire and lost a LOT of stuff. I'm more worried about getting wing adjusters myself.

This is why I HATE being at the mercy of someone else's supply chain. So I'm currently designing a plane from the ground up, and expect to have all foam cores, carbon/glass parts IN HOUSE and at the drop of a pin. So if you guys wonder what I'm doing, I'm currently cutting cores and designing. If all goes well, I'll have this new beast ready by spring, and the parts/plans/short kit available by summer. I feel deeply for them at Gator, but I gotta have parts, so I'll just make my own and have stuff ON HAND whenever me or anyone else needs it. Preferrably bring someone else in so that if my life gets crazy others don't suffer for it. With that being said, I really and truly feel bad for all the crap Diana Lakin and her family have been through over the past year or 2.

Plus this new plane is a radical break into the future for me, it's going to be a gorgeous trophy magnet with any luck. So that's what's up with me, I'm playing with drawings and foam .

-Mike
That sounds really great Mike! Plans for an up to date, good looking pattern plane is something really missing on the market. While your Tempest has that really cool agressive look, I never really liked the looks of the T2K fuse and mainly the vertical tail.

It will really interesting to see the result of your work.

/Erik
Old 11-12-2004, 03:24 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Mike,
I haven't even started knockoing out a Tempest yet and already I'm behind the 'latest, greatest' design improvement!! Should I wait for the new plane :-)
Keep up the good work!!
Will B.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:24 AM
MHester

Hey Will, I'm ALWAYS working on new stuff The difference between me and the next guy is I'll never stop supporting my old stuff. If the time comes when I don't have the room or time for an old design, I'll simply give it to someone else to play with. My philosophy is that it's too darned difficult for anyone in the states to get a good 2 meter plane that's not fully composite, and even then you generally have to pre order and wait wait wait.... There's nothing wrong with a composite plane, but it doesn't have to be that way. Anyone could look around and see the success people are having with more conventional constructed planes. The exception being perhaps the top 10 FAI pilots, but even then look at Bryan Hebert's stuff. There's something to it, and it just seems to me there's a black hole where a good AVAILABLE 2 meter plane should be. Although for the money vs work it's hard to beat an ARF, many of us don't want to have ARF #24 on the flight line.

The problem is lack of options. Just a few years ago we could get plans and parts for Typhoons, Patriots, and a ton of other very competetive birds. Now? Nada. That has to change. I know that CA is working on something, but again you run into the supply chain problem of importation. When they have them they have them. When they don't, you're SOL. What happens if you lose a canopy over the woods the week before a contest? Crack a cowl on a hard landing? Roll the dice, you may get lucky. Maybe not. I HATE being at the mercy of someone else, so I decided to make my own, right here in my little shop in Woodstock.

Stay tuned, I'll be building the prototype over the winter. The composite parts will be the most time consuming, so the fly date is iffy. If all goes well, I should have a short kit, plans and parts available by late spring early summer.

As for the latest and greatest, well there's no such thing as a perfect plane. All planes are a compromise somewhere, that's why we constantly tweak, design and test. Plus sometimes it's just cool to have something new and different [8D]

-Mike
Old 11-13-2004, 07:55 AM
flyintexan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very cool, cant wait to see what you come up with. I am hoping to maiden my new design sometime in January. Alot of local guys (buddies) are asking if I will be cutting extra cores...I think there is a small market available for short kits that have an up to date design. I'm in it for my own satisfaction as well as the low cash outlay to build a new bird. Good luck.

-mark
Old 11-13-2004, 07:59 AM
troyhm

Hi

I was waiting for my cowl and canopy to arrive from gatorrc. Its no good about the fire they had but atleast the family is ok. I heard someone metion another supplier for the canopys and cowls. Is it radio south ?? Do they have a website to order from or does someone have there contact details.

Thanks

Troy
Old 11-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Scott Smith
My Feedback: (4)

Radio South
3702 N. Pace Blvd.
Pensacola, FL 32505
1-800-962-7802
www.radiosouthrc.com

However, I understand they do not have stock either.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:17 AM
troyhm

Hi Scott

Thanks for that. I will send them an email and call later when I work out the time differences.

Thanks

Troy
Old 11-13-2004, 09:46 AM
MHester

Yeah MArk, I'm in this primarily so I don't have to be at someone else's mercy. I can make my own stuff, so I do. If I can provide someone else a good option and make a few bucks for contest traveling money, that's good enough for me. I know the market is there, I discovered it completely by accident. Plus eevry time someone does good with one, it flies in the face of the arguement "you must have a european composite kit to be competetive". Hogwash.

This won't be an ultra wide body plane (like a PArtner for instance). In my opinion, that is too big for anyone except someone who gets the rare opportunity to fly F-05. For the rest of us it turns into a kite in heavy wind. Ever been to a contest where there WASN'T heavy wind? I think the key is a good wide body design without getting stupid big. Larger than a focus, smaller than a Partner, somewhere around Supreme size. To me that seems like the best combo for reducing pilot workload and still being able to maintain constant speed flight. Snaps, spins, point rolls, knife edge, and limited mixing are crucial.

I've said enough, I don't even have the plans drawn for the fuse yet

-Mike
Old 11-13-2004, 06:31 PM
flyintexan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

gotta keep the ideas flowing though....next spring I think I would like to build one of Nat Penton's Express pattern planes. I had the joy of flying it once after a meet, and it truly does feel different (neutral), especially on the rudder. Having one of these would go well in my non-cookie cutter plane hanger!

-mark
Old 11-15-2004, 12:06 PM
rodney tanner

Hi Mike,
My Tempest project has been on standby for 2 months now, waiting for Gator parts from Radio South. Luckily I have a Typhoon 2k fuz built, so we are taking moulds off that for the cabin and cheeks. I already had a full cowl for the chin. Sooooo it looks like another few weeks or so before it will be flying. The plane sure looks good and looks right. in spite of that radical wing sweep.
You need to get a Masters pilot flying a Tempest against Bob Pastorelo´s Aresti III :-)
Hope to see you at Nats next year. . . if not maybe at North Dallas (not so far to drive from Mexico City)
Old 11-15-2004, 08:47 PM
lfalsetto
My Feedback: (10)

Does anyone have the capibility of making me a 2000 typhoon cowl and canopy? Rodnye could you possibly do this?

Larry
Old 11-16-2004, 04:31 AM
troyhm

Hi Everyone

If someone is making the cowl and cheeks etc I will buy a set as well

Thanks

Troy
Old 11-16-2004, 10:13 AM
rodney tanner

Larry, Troy: Let me check with the guy who is doing the work. I don´t see a problem.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:58 AM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lfalsetto

Does anyone have the capibility of making me a 2000 typhoon cowl and canopy? Rodnye could you possibly do this?

Larry

I'd be interested in this too.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:13 PM
HuaChu

Hello everyone,

I am almost ready to order the woods for building my 1st 2m size "Tempest"
I got my plan from Mike few months back. They are great ! I am really slow of getting the project kick off. Anyway. Can anyone possible post the list of the woods which are needed for building "Tempest" if there is one available? Even it is just roughly estimate . That will save me a lot time of just figuring out how many woods need to be ordered.

Thanks very much !

Mike
Old 11-17-2004, 04:07 AM
troyhm

Hi Everyone

Gator rc now has the canopy now in stock and the cowls are on there way apparently. I got an email from them confirming this today.

Troy
Old 11-17-2004, 04:27 AM
troyhm

Hi Mike

Here is a list of wood needed to complete building the typhoon 2000. This was listed on another post about the typhoon.

10 pieces of 1/8" x 3 x 36 contest balsa for the sides and turtledeck.

some 1/8" lite ply for a few supports that are not laser cut.

For foam wings. about 20 sheets of 1/16" x4x36 contest balsa

I am also just starting to build my tempest but have already cut out alot of the fromers fuse sides and have just got two sets of the ribs cut out by a friend of mine on his cnc machine. I have laminated the formers with carbon fiber for strength and hope to start constructing the fuse soon

Troy

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...2Cplans/tm.htm
Old 11-17-2004, 07:59 AM
MHester

That's good news indeed about the canopy and cowl. It means they weren't taken completely out, just majorly inconvenienced.

Still, I'm pressing ahead with a new project. That doesn't mean I'm forgetting about this one though, I just like to design and do new stuff. If anybody needs me for any assistance just PM me here.

You guys post some pics when you get them underway!

-Mike
Old 11-17-2004, 02:26 PM
rodney tanner

Gator rc now has the canopy now in stock and the cowls are on there way apparently. I got an email from them confirming this today.
That´s good news and probably cheaper than getting the parts here. But if anybody is still interested, let me know.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:59 PM
HuaChu

Thanks a lot Troy !!

That is a great thread ! I found a lot info.
for the reinforcement carbon fiber, what thickness do you use? Can I can use regular 30 mintes Epoxy?

I am trying to get most of the material needed for building this plane and start cutting out all the formers before X.mas
Thanks

Mike
Old 11-17-2004, 07:42 PM
MHester

I used .007" accent plate from CST, and just thick CA'd it to the balsa. Do it on wax paper and it's tough, light, and lasts forever. Well, about 500 flights and still looks and feels the same as it did the day I built it. it looks cool, but it REALLY adds stiffness and not a lot of weight at all. It does get expensive though. It's something I'd only do if I just happened to have the extra cash. of course, I like a little "bling" to my planes [8D]

-Mike
Old 11-17-2004, 10:35 PM
HuaChu

Thanks Mike

I am going to give it a try.

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.