Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Carrera ?

Old 08-28-2004, 06:31 AM
Lancair-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera ?

Ive been offered a second hand, very well built, Carrera, designed by Peter Goldsmith an Australian F3A champion. I know its an old design (apparently 96') but just want peoples opinion of its suitability for my needs.
I flew in my first pattern comp last weekend with a CM Pro Lark, YS63 powered, and have a long way to go in pattern flying but am considering my options as to a better model to take me through to Advanced level.
Also on my options list at the moment is the CA models Epsilon or Widebody 60 kits and have someone else build them for me. (Im not a builder) Either way Im looking about 6 months down the track to be flying my next model. (need time to save)
About the only plus I see with the Carrera is its already built and I know is in very good condition. Its pricing is about what Id expect the others would cost me to have built. Servos, engine etc still have to added to whichever option I go.

One other thing Ive considered is given my planned time frame maybe Id be better off looking at a new generation 2m model and not have the in-between model.

Thoughts anyone ?
Old 08-29-2004, 03:44 PM
patternflyr
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Carrera ?

I have seen a lot of Carreras fly in my area of the USA and they fly very nice. Even though it is an older design, I think you would do just fine with it and probably learn quite a bit. The only criticism I have heard is that it is more difficult to get the snap. RC Model Enterprises produced a new wing and stab and got it to work better. But, I think you should go for it if you like the looks of the plane.

Good Luck, Emory Schroeter.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:36 PM
philpop

scroll down on this page and down load the video

http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4210
Old 08-29-2004, 08:52 PM
patternflyr

Hey Phil,

That Carrera is also designed by Peter Goldsmith (I think), but I believe the one he is referring to is this one...
http://home.att.net/~rc-enterprises/rcme_004.htm

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Emory.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Schpankme

PRAMS 2002

Winner F3A Master Class - Gavin Broadbent with YS powered Carrera

_________
Schpankme
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41597.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	168668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42072.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	168669  
Old 08-29-2004, 11:59 PM
Lancair-RCU

Emory, you are correct in that its not the Carrera E Im refering too. The guy selling it also told me it was difficult to get the snap nice and tight due to the large tailplane ?

The pic of Gavin Broadbent holding one is the plane Im refering too.

Ill have to ask Gavin about it in a few weeks at the next comp. BUT having seen he was flying one, Im more keen now to get it. Still a way off before I can get it and actually fit it out to fly, Ill need just about everything other than the airframe.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:52 PM
patternflyr

When Lamar and Jerry were first experimenting with changing the wing/stab size, they cut them off the existing ones on the plane. It worked well. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Emory.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:02 PM
FlyFutabaGuy

I got a chance to fly Kris Kovanda's Carrera when I was down in FL last year for the D3 Championships. This is the plane Kris flew to win the 2003 Intermediate National Championships. It flew very well! Especially for intermediate. It does very nice rolls and tracks very well. I was trying to fly it in masters, so snapping was an Issue, and emory was nice enough to let me fly his hydeout. But the carrera is definately a nice flying plane for someone in your position.

-Brett Bowen