Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

What does the average sportsman competitor fly?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

What does the average sportsman competitor fly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 03:58 PM
rc flylow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What does the average sportsman competitor fly?

This discussion is very informative and I thank all for your inputs. I see that in pattern more emphasis is on pilot skills than any particular airframe (in sportsman at least.) I know quite a bit about the flight maneuvers and have flown many with a 4-star 60. A good plane but not axial enough in my view for precision maneuvers. Well, "I split-s" too low the other day and, presto, my dumb thumbs handed me a 4-star in four pieces.

I love the sleek look of the old pattern planes and I want to buy an ARF that looks something like these beauties (long tail boom, forward cowl, tapered, narrow-chord, mid wing, swept fin (you all know what I'm describing.) It needs to get along well in the vertical with a 90 4-stroke (7-8 lbs.?). I've had real problems trying to find any ARF's that meet this criteria, and I can't even find many kits. A couple of the guys in my club have drawings of calypsos, kaos, and other 70's designs, but I really don't want to scratch build at this time.

Here's my question (finally, you say): If you were buying a 60-sized pattern plane ARF today, and expecting to pull it with a 90 4-stroke, what would you buy? I appreciate the need for a 2m plane if I get really competitive, but I'd like to keep the costs down for my first foray into precision aerobatics.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-08-2006, 04:15 PM
elan120
My Feedback: (1)

rc flylow,

I am currently flying Excelleron 90 to practice Advanced schedule. It is fitted with YS 110 spinning 15x10 APC, and it has plenty of vertical. The cost for the airframe is quite low, and so far, the cost of the fuel has already exceeded the airframe cost.

By the way, would you be considering a different name after the "low" mishaps? Just kidding...

Kevin
Old 06-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

This thread lives!

Well interesting to see my old post from 2004- I am finally competing at my first pattern event next weekend in Riverside, CA. I have a Supra Fly-45 (Old school for ARF's) and Rossi-60 w/ full quiet pipe. This is a 20 year old bird that I got used and flies just fine for my skill level. Amazing how you can fly for 20 years but not be able to hold a straight line or perform 2 loops on-top of each other eh?

I will obviously be in sportsman and my only goal as of this moment is to make it to the event on time without forgetting my TX or something... [X(]

I am trying pretty hard to get ahold of a used Eclipse/ YS-140FZ from a nice gentleman on here, we will see what happens...
Old 06-08-2006, 06:35 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

This thread lives!

Well interesting to see my old post from 2004- I am finally competing at my first pattern event next weekend in Riverside, CA.
Hey, I'm planning to be there too. I got a 1st place in novice (sportsman) at Riverside in 2000 flying .40 size Kaos. I have largely been out of it for the last several years. I actually went a year and a half without flying anything[:@]. I will fly Intermediate at Riverside if the Exceleron is ready. If not, I'll show as a spectator since it is fairly close.

I was toying with the idea of flying my E-Flite Funtana, but that would really be pushing it. I would compete in sportsman, or intermediate with a .40 sized plane. A .60 size would be better.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:20 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning to attend a pattern contest sometime before the summer is over, hopefully. The plane I'll be using is an ancient design by todays standards, but it was designed to fly straight and precise, albiet at a rather fast speed; maybe too fast for today's judges. It's a .61 powered Bridi UFO from 1977. I realize that it was intended for the old style of flying, not what's being done today, but looking at the Sportsman schedule on the nsrca site it should perform those maneuvers as well as the average sport plane, maybe even a bit better. At least it will look beautiful trying (my opinion!). I'm building it now if anyone wants to take a look: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4017336/tm.htm
Old 06-08-2006, 11:41 PM
flyintexan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Raineday,

Your UFO is beautiful. Just stay out a little bit where the box is wider and it shoud do just fine.

Get that thing done and post some pics!

Good luck.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:57 AM
rainedave

Thanks, flyintexan! It has been the most enjoyable and challenging model I've ever built (and I've been glueing balsa for almost 40 years).

Having never flown in a contest before, I didn't even think about the two diverging angles that define the "box" as it's called. I can see how larger, slower models get an advantage by being bigger and being able to fly closer in to the judges; the drawback being a tighter box in which to perform. It sounds like choosing the optimum distance is one of those trade-off kind of things.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:02 PM
bla bla

I think that people starting off would be far better equipped with a 10-15 year old competition design, 1.20 type power, than a vintage design or a modern 1.10 powered wide body.

You want a plane with the wings right at the front and then a real long spread before the stab raises it's head! Certainly helps with the tracking and keeping everything straight and who the h#ll doesn't want that, beginer or not? The begining classes are all about doing real simply routines... The difficult part is keeping it straight and well defined!
You want an airplane that does 75% of the job for you and an oldie from a comp' flyer hanger you fit the bill perfectly... and better still, they'd beable to set it up for you.
That's worth a million bucks in it's self!

If I'd listened to what the pros told me when I started sniffing around pattern and stayed away from the newer designs which require far more correction throughout the flight, I'd have been better off, no questions about it.

Of course, it takes you years before you can understand that!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 PM
rainedave

bla bla, so you're suggesting something like a Boxer or a Desire? I thought I saw somewhere that a gentleman is still selling foam cores for these planes. Anybody know who I'm referring to?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:08 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: rainedav

bla bla, so you're suggesting something like a Boxer or a Desire? I thought I saw somewhere that a gentleman is still selling foam cores for these planes. Anybody know who I'm referring to?

PAC sells a number of older (90's) pattern kits:

http://www.precisionaerocomposite.com/

Rick Allison is selling Boxer plans, search on his name or on Boxer in the pattern forums and you will find his contact info. Not sure who is doing cores for them, though. You would have no trouble with a Boxer after your UFO build.

Mark
Old 06-09-2006, 01:19 PM
bla bla

Oh man, you boys have hit the nail so firmly on the head I can hear the ringing here in Oslo.
That link: www.precisionaerocomposite.com has got to be Pattern Beginners Heavan!
Planes like a Prodigy, Fascination etc would fly the socks of any modern 1.10 Widebody out there when it came to performing lower to intermediate classes.
Point and shoot design theory.
More points scored... Garenteed.
Jez, maybe I should get on my self.
Well done.
ORIGINAL: mmattockx

ORIGINAL: rainedav

PAC sells a number of older (90's) pattern kits:

http://www.precisionaerocomposite.com/

Rick Allison is selling Boxer plans, search on his name or on Boxer in the pattern forums and you will find his contact info. Not sure who is doing cores for them, though. You would have no trouble with a Boxer after your UFO build.

Mark
Old 06-09-2006, 02:09 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: bla bla

Oh man, you boys have hit the nail so firmly on the head I can hear the ringing here in Oslo.
That link: www.precisionaerocomposite.com has got to be Pattern Beginners Heavan!
Planes like a Prodigy, Fascination etc would fly the socks of any modern 1.10 Widebody out there when it came to performing lower to intermediate classes.
Point and shoot design theory.
Why did you have to go and say that? Now I am going to have to think about one of these kits, too. And my to build list is already way too long and work is way too busy at the moment...

Mark
Old 06-09-2006, 02:17 PM
bla bla

Hey it got me to.
Ive already send a mail asking for infomation.
I have a lovely old YS 1.20FZ thats just been sitting in a box for years.
Now, maybe it'll have a home.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:27 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: bla bla

Hey it got me to.
Ive already send a mail asking for infomation.
I have a lovely old YS 1.20FZ thats just been sitting in a box for years.
Now, maybe it'll have a home.
I have a NIB Webra 120 that would be perfect for a number of the old 120 sized planes, too.

Any opinions on the Dr. Jekyl PhD? Or a Sequel?

Mark
Old 06-09-2006, 02:56 PM
bla bla

Well I aready have a Hydeout which was late 90's-ish.
I'm looking at something earlier... Jekyl PhD era.
Fascination is lookin' good.
I'm heading toward a Dave Guerin Prodigy though!
9.5lb with retracts.
Drop them and used fixed.
You'll have a big, yet a lovely light 9lb pattern plane with heaps of power and best of all... built in auto pilot!
Old 06-11-2006, 03:44 PM
rc flylow

Thanks all for the advice, suggestions, and the web site. All good stuff. Kevin, I'm not changing my name... yet. Hey, sometimes one needs to clear out the garage for some new birds. The old 4* was a good flyer and my favorite. Have you noticed most want to give you $1.98 for your labor of love and $600 investment? Might as well give it away or press the envelope flying it. Of course you should get the brain in gear first.

Please tell me pattern maneuvers are at altitude ... please!