Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Fuel recommendation for YS63FZ-S

Old 12-26-2004, 03:28 AM
elan120
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel recommendation for YS63FZ-S

The search history seems to show many fuel types that can be used on this engine. I am particular interested in the Magnum YS DZ blend fuel, and was wondering if anyone can comment on this fuel to be used in YS63? If there are other suggestions, please also let me know, as I am getting ready to purchase some to use in my newly purchased YS63.

Thank you,

Kevin
Old 12-26-2004, 11:40 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Fuel recommendation for YS63FZ-S

I have flown the YS 63 on Powermaster 20%, various helicopter blends 20-30% nitro, Magnum I & II, currently flying off a stock of Magnum I. Engine has liked all these fuels. Have never tried going below 20% nitro because of advice from many sources including the manufacturer and the US distributor. It likes 20%, likes 30% even better. Have never used the Magnum DZ blend, but I'm told it uses a lower viscosity oil than the other Magnum blends, and the DZ likes that.

I will add that I find I have to retune both needles whenever I change from one fuel mix to another, so it really helps to pick one fuel and fly that the whole season. Same fuel new jug runs the same, so once you get the tuning right you're good for the rest of the year. We get a group of five or six guys and place a pallet load bulk order with Magnum every year to get good pricing.

Magnum fuels also work great in most two-strokes, so you can run just about anything other than the big Moki & MVVS engines on Magnum or other high-nitro fuel. My Asian two-strokes run great on high nitro, lower throttle to cruise on, more grunt on up-lines, same tankful gives more flying minutes so it doesn't cost any more.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:50 PM
elan120

majortom-RCU,

I have used Magnum I in the past but have never tried Magnum II. Do you think Magnum II works better than I for this engine in terms of idle or they are about the same? If I recall, Magnum I has about 20 to 25% nitro and II has about 30% nitro, so ideally, II should offer better vertical performance, but since I am new with this YS63, and like you, I will be ordering enough for the season, I am not sure which is a better choice.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 12-26-2004, 10:10 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Since I find Magnum I does all I want with my YS engines, that's what I now use. One of my buying pool normally burns Magnum I but likes to stock some Magnum II for competition purposes on hot summer days, to make up for the thinner air. I prefer the convenience of using one blend for the year, and my planes have adequate power without going to higher nitro. I can't say I ever noticed the difference in idle rpm or reliability between I & II, but did notice the better "gas mileage" and the easier pull on verticals. I would say again, the economy of II vs. I is probably about the same, so if I thought about it a bit I might persuade myself to run strictly II. If you've never tried II, you ought to get (or split) a case just to try it--or get a season's supply of II, pay a little more per case but burn less for a day's normal pattern flying and come out even at the end of the year.

I do remember a day when I was flying my Venus with a YS 53 (not 63), hauling it all over the sky on 30%, with an audience including a couple of old hands who were speculating as to what engine I had that was performing so well. My buddy told them it was a YS 53, at which they scoffed and told him "No way! You're full of ####!" When I showed them the engine, they thought about it a while before one thought to ask what fuel I was using. When I said 30%, their response was "thirty bucks a gallon--who can afford that!" But the bulk price from Magnum was pretty close to what they were paying at the LHS for 10-15% fuel.

Another thing about the II--I had a case of it, and only burned one gallon straight from the jug, to satisfy my curiosity. The rest I blended with lower nitro just to get better use out of other gallons of this and that. I never had a problem with blending different brands of fuel, although I've been careful not to blend castor-containing fuels into my YS engines. But I do like castor in my ringed two-strokes, and never had trouble with them either as far as mixing fuels pretty much indiscriminately. I've also blended CoolPower and Powermaster high nitro with lower nitro and FAI blends of other fuels (mostly S&W & Wildcat) with no complications performance-wise.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:35 AM
elan120

majortom-RCU,

Thank you for the added information. Although I have never tried magnum II fuel, but it has been in the back of my mind to try for a longtime, so I think this time, I am going to order it and find out for my self.

Regards,

Kevin