Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Adjusting Right Thrust with a Hyde mount

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Adjusting Right Thrust with a Hyde mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 09:51 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Adjusting Right Thrust with a Hyde mount

Brought out the Eclipse to try and blow out the dust from winter time, and I realized that I need to add a bit of right thrust. The fit between the spinner back plate and the nose ring is pretty tight, so any adjustment I make will also have to 'push' out a bit. I was thinking adding washers, but if memory serves the hole pattern on the mount is not symmetrical. What techniques are there out there for this? Does anybody make a shim for this application?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:00 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Adjusting Right Thrust with a Hyde mount

Never real easy. If you're lucky, you'll be running the 4 screw-mounting version. If not so lucky, you have the three bolt mounting, and that will take three different size shims.

Basically, you must standoff the mount from the firewall using hard ply shims, or hard cf plate, or alum shim stock. Ain't no other way.

I've made a disc matching the o.d. of the mount, sanded the appropriately angle in it drilled clearance holes for the mounting screws and just thick ca'd that to the back of the existing mount.

It ain't fun, but usually you only have to take it in or out a couple of times. I'd suggest careful measurements, first.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:01 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have made a tapered washer using hard ply and then sanding in the new thrust angle. I usually end up slotting my firewall holes to allow for the backplate movement with the new thrust angle.

Steve
Old 03-07-2005, 12:18 AM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys, that is kind of what I was planning, although I was hoping that somebody would have already done the work for me!