Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

.90 Size ARF Pattern Plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:58 AM
jwellsmusic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .90 Size ARF Pattern Plane

Looking for a .90 size ARF to purchase for practice. I've seen the Intruder, just not a fan of the color scheme.

I have a 91 Surpass ready for something. Let me know your suggestions! Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:49 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Any of these possible?

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...?ProductID=108

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=77
Old 10-21-2016, 04:55 PM
viva_peru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi -

I had the .50 sized version of the Groovy and it was decent flying plane. In my case, I converted it over to electric. The only thing I found objectionable in the kit was the landing gear; it was aluminum casting which was quite heavy. I ended up using a carbon fiber landing gear. My stab was also warped, but I was able to remove the warp by peeling back the covering, using water and heat to straighten it. Aerodynamically, the design is a little dated but it is quite capable of flying the intermediate and probably the advanced sequence.

Teo

PD. I just looked at photos of the .90 sized version and the landing gear appears to be carbon, or at least, metal painted black. It looks lighter than what the .50 sized plane came with.

Last edited by viva_peru; 10-21-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:19 AM
jwellsmusic

Thanks, I have a lead on a Groovy that is for sale. May be just the right fit! I really appreciate you guys responding.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:21 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by jwellsmusic
Looking for a .90 size ARF to purchase for practice. I've seen the Intruder, just not a fan of the color scheme.
Originally Posted by jwellsmusic

I have a 91 Surpass ready for something. Let me know your suggestions! Thanks in Advance.

If you have a 91 Surpass to put in an airframe, I would not recommend anything bigger than a 60ish size plane. A 90 size plane will be well under powered for anything pattern, and you will be not be happy with the performance.

I flew a 60 size pattern type plane with a 91 Surpass w/ pump around 2001 and it was plenty of power for the plane. I currently have a 60 size trainer (Superstar 60) with a Magnum 91 which is a great combo (albeit a little less power than the OS).

If you want a 90 size plane, the 120 Surpass would be a great fit if you like the 4 strokes.

Just my opinion...

Larry Diamond
Old 10-31-2016, 06:22 AM
jwellsmusic

Originally Posted by DiamondRC

If you have a 91 Surpass to put in an airframe, I would not recommend anything bigger than a 60ish size plane. A 90 size plane will be well under powered for anything pattern, and you will be not be happy with the performance.

I flew a 60 size pattern type plane with a 91 Surpass w/ pump around 2001 and it was plenty of power for the plane. I currently have a 60 size trainer (Superstar 60) with a Magnum 91 which is a great combo (albeit a little less power than the OS).

If you want a 90 size plane, the 120 Surpass would be a great fit if you like the 4 strokes.

Just my opinion...

Larry Diamond
Thanks, I have a 120 Surpass as well. I did order a groovy 90 3a, it was designed around the YS 91, but on the heavy side from what I'm seeing. I've flown my Jekyll 120 with as YS 120 with good results. Sometimes it's all about the prop, but I guess I will find out.