Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New Kyosho Oxalys 50 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 04:35 AM
FullSpeedAhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Kyosho Oxalys 50 ?

er nikolas, ur landing gear is placed in the wrong direction...
Old 10-07-2005, 08:38 AM
jaycey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put my undercarriage round that way on my flair lark...stops it tipping over when the grass gets long : )
Old 10-07-2005, 09:10 AM
FullSpeedAhead

ORIGINAL: jaycey

I put my undercarriage round that way on my flair lark...stops it tipping over when the grass gets long : )
hmm, a point to ponder, then wad is the elevator for?...
Old 10-07-2005, 11:07 AM
ERDEL

Nickolas:

Thanks for the pictures, if i want to put a pipe under the fuselage i would need to make some modifications by cutting the balsa wood etc. I think maybe i would put a YS 63 or a 2 srtoke with an Ultra Thrust muffler

Old 10-08-2005, 03:45 AM
oldbloke

Is this plane available in the UK?
Old 10-08-2005, 03:16 PM
jaycey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, a point to ponder, then wad is the elevator for?...
Ponder away...an elevator does nothing until the airplane actualy moves and with resistance from long grass...plane tippy tippy, you get the grippy?
Old 10-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Nickolas

Oxalyis is ready to go, I did not manage to fly this weekend though. Perfromed some engine tests with the APC 13x7, seems ok. I'm flying it some time this week, just need to trim the cowl.

Question: Is the recommended elevator throw (+-15mm) enough or I should increase it a bit?

My final setup is:

Engine: OS-FS 70 Ultimate Pump
Prop:APC 13x7
Servos: JR-NES 2235 Coreless (Ailerons, Elevator), JR-NES 591 (Rudder), Hi Tec HS-80 (Throttle)
Rx: JR R900 PCM-S
Battery: JR 1100mAh
Hardware: Stock everywhere

Overall weight around 2400 Kg.

Pretty satisfied with everything till now.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57187.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	336422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34137.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	336423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65947.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	336424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76447.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	336425  
Old 10-12-2005, 12:05 PM
ArayRC
My Feedback: (30)

You say the Javelin is a good airplane and the Oxalys 50 is outstanding.

In what way does the Oxy 50 fly better than the Javelin?

My Javelin weighs 5.75 pounds... and I know the Oxy 50 is about 5.35 pounds.

and the Oxy 50 does have a better landing gear setup.. but can be changed on the Javelin.

but the wing loading should be about the same because the Javelin has a larger wing.

I just don't want to spend over $200.. the Javelin is $150 shipped. Oxy is over $200.

ORIGINAL: Clavy

I've built and flown both models. Both models use the YS .63. The Javelin is a good airplane. The Oxalys is outstanding. Closest thing in this size class I've flown to a good 2 meter. It's that good.

Clay
Old 10-12-2005, 09:37 PM
FullSpeedAhead

of course the oxalys is a newer plane with a newer design and IS a scaled down version of the winning cplr design, so i think the price of over 200 bucks is definitely justified, but it depends, if u r a really good flyer, plane doesnt matter, or does it?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Clavy

The Javelin is a fine flying airplane and for $150.00 shipped you can't hardly beat it. If a guy doesn't want to spend over $200.00 the Javelin is a great choice. If you can get yourself to dig a little deeper then the Oxalys will not disapoint you.

The best way I can describe the Oxalys is it's the closest airplane in this size class that I have personally flown that flies with the precision of a good 2 meter. You really have to fly one that is well set up to appreciate it. I know I was pleasantly surprised. The airplanes holds a very accurate line both horizontally and vertically. It just seems to stick where ever you point it. Rolls are very axial. Snaps and stall turns are predictable. The knife edge flight qualities are outstanding. The Oxalys is easier to land than the Javelin as the Javelin wants to come in a little hotter and has a tendency to keep flying. The Oxalys comes in nice and slow and lands. I feel the Oxalys handles a cross wind better than the Javelin. That is probably the biggest difference I see in the two airplanes and probably the reason the Oxalys feels a little more precise.

Clay
Old 10-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Nickolas

Hi,

I had a the maiden flight of my Oxalys today. What a nice flying plane!! Almost no trim required for ailerons, just 3 clicks of up trim as it feels a little bit nose heavy. I flew the novice pattern sequence about 5 times without any problems at all. This planes seems just right for what it's been designed. The OS 70 Ultimate with the APC 13x7 works well, it pulls the plane more than sufficiently. It did not notice any coupling in knife edge flight and performed some smooth and slow rolling circles. I'm really excited and satisfied for my purchase I recommend this plane to anyone wants to start with pattern or is at an intermediate to advanced pattern level and wants to have fun with a smaller plane. Somebody mentioned that the plane is very close to a 2x2 in behaviour.Well I have not flown a 2x2 but I believe him.... I used to fly in the past a 60 size model by W.Matt Saphir I . Well Oxalys even at smaller size flies a lot better.

Here are some photos of my field, doesn't it look like the paradise on earth??

Name:	Yw67665.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	338476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57151.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	338477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98118.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	338478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24489.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	338479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wi59643.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	338480  
Old 10-13-2005, 01:04 PM
ram_z

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Nickolas

Here are some photos of my field, doesn't it look like the paradise on earth??

Yes it does!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:18 PM
ArayRC
My Feedback: (30)

You can get TWO Cermark Javelin II airplanes for $280 shipped. And you can get a Swallow EX 90 Pattern Ship for a little less than the Oxy 50. I just think the Oxy 50 is a little over priced. When it goes under $200 shipped... I will buy one. The Oxy 50 is the smallest of the 3 airplanes. But the YS 63 is a very good match for the Oxy 50 if you want to go that size. The Javelin is on average 1/2 pound heavier than the Oxy 50 but the Javelin can be made at 5 1/2 pounds dry weight with a YS 63 if you are carefull and/or if you get a good one. The average weight of the Oxy 50 is 5 1/3 pound.

I have no problems at all landing the Javelin on short Runways... just make sure your landing aproach speed is about 5 MPH over the stall speed. And Croswinds seem fine... a lot better than most airplanes at this size.

The Javelin is a fine flying airplane and for $150.00 shipped you can't hardly beat it. If a guy doesn't want to spend over $200.00 the Javelin is a great choice. If you can get yourself to dig a little deeper then the Oxalys will not disapoint you.

The best way I can describe the Oxalys is it's the closest airplane in this size class that I have personally flown that flies with the precision of a good 2 meter. You really have to fly one that is well set up to appreciate it. I know I was pleasantly surprised. The airplanes holds a very accurate line both horizontally and vertically. It just seems to stick where ever you point it. Rolls are very axial. Snaps and stall turns are predictable. The knife edge flight qualities are outstanding. The Oxalys is easier to land than the Javelin as the Javelin wants to come in a little hotter and has a tendency to keep flying. The Oxalys comes in nice and slow and lands. I feel the Oxalys handles a cross wind better than the Javelin. That is probably the biggest difference I see in the two airplanes and probably the reason the Oxalys feels a little more precise.

Clay
Old 10-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Nickolas

When you buy a plane such as the Oxalys you mostly pay for the design in such case is the design of CPLR. This plane may not have any relation whatsoever with the original 2x2 patternship in construction etc. but it definatelly follows the design lines and rules of its bigger brother.

Noname planes such as the Shallow may fly well if they are trimmed properly but do not come with the CPLR logo that's why they are cheaper. This plane does fly pretty well out of the box and is very nice looking at the same time. It is covered with CPLR's unique colour scheme. On the other hand Javelin and Shallow are not that nice with regards to looks IMO.

Oxalys is not very expensive for what it is, it is fairly priced IMO. I bought it for 215 euros when at the same shop Imagine 50 by Thunder Tiger costs 255 euros. Imagine is designed by Yoshioka, it is not a no name plane but I think Oxalys is simply much better in many perspectives.

Rgrds,

Nik

ORIGINAL: ArayRC

You can get TWO Cermark Javelin II airplanes for $280 shipped. And you can get a Swallow EX 90 Pattern Ship for a little less than the Oxy 50. I just think the Oxy 50 is a little over priced. When it goes under $200 shipped... I will buy one. The Oxy 50 is the smallest of the 3 airplanes. But the YS 63 is a very good match for the Oxy 50 if you want to go that size. The Javelin is on average 1/2 pound heavier than the Oxy 50 but the Javelin can be made at 5 1/2 pounds dry weight with a YS 63 if you are carefull and/or if you get a good one. The average weight of the Oxy 50 is 5 1/3 pound.

I have no problems at all landing the Javelin on short Runways... just make sure your landing aproach speed is about 5 MPH over the stall speed. And Croswinds seem fine... a lot better than most airplanes at this size.

Clay
Old 10-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Clavy

ArayRc,

It sounds like you really like your Javelin. That's all the really counts. For anyone wanting to fly precision aerobatics, without spending a ton of money, you won't go wrong with either model.

Clay
Old 10-16-2005, 08:52 AM
FullSpeedAhead

i hv gotten the header and pipe finally... engine is mounted and header too, i have yet to find a way to mount the pipe as there is little clearance between the pipe and the lg plate. other than that, the header is a perfect match for this plane!

Old 10-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Nickolas

It looks perfect, this Hatori muffler is very handy.

Some more flight info about Oxalys, yesterday I really rang it out. I flew a little bit more free with it, not pattern. I really enjoyed flying knife edge with it circles, eights etc. The plane does not have any problem to knife edge loop with the recommend rudder rate. It is simple awesome!! This rudder is really strong I didn't expect it. I friend of mine who had his Showtime with him at the field could not believe what Oxalys could do. I'm very happy with Oxalys it is one of the best planes I've ever flown if not the best.

Now we are thinking of ways of enlarging the elevator, making it more 3D capable more artistic in other words.

Here is a photo of Oxalys next to Showtime.

Name:	Jh16571.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	339895  
Old 10-19-2005, 07:48 PM
pmuehlemey

Hi guys What JR servos would you guys recommend for the oxalys ? I was thinking of going digital.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:30 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

pmuehlemey,
I would go with 3421 for light weight. 811 servos are also very good. Even the DS537 will work fine as Kyosho recommended standard servos.

Ihncheol Park
P & A Hobbies
Old 10-21-2005, 04:56 AM
FullSpeedAhead

hey i am abt to start with the fuel setup, one question, is the 260 CC tank provided enuff for use on the YS 63S? thanks.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:29 AM
shomenda
My Feedback: (2)

Depending upon the conditions where you fly and the kind of flying you enjoy, the 260 CC (10 oz) fuel supply and a properly tuned YS63S may last between 8 - 10 minutes until dry. Personally, the 10 oz. wasn't enough for pattern practice, therefore, I opted for a 400 CC (14 oz.) tetra, mounted over CG, in my 6 lb. (dry weight) Javelin II/YS 63S/YS-F glow plug/12 X 7 APC. It's hot and humid @ sea level most of the time in Florida and I'm averaging 12 - 14 minutes, w/fuel remaining.
SH
Old 10-21-2005, 09:05 AM
FullSpeedAhead

wow... a 400 cc tank, that is really huge! i used the 400 cc on my YS 110 last time.. it is hot and humid here in s'pore as well, tropical, i will be running apc 12X6/coolpower20%heli/OS-F glow plug combi on the YS 63S... i have also a 320 cc tank, but it is rather big in size and not as fitting in the oxalys, whereas the provided 260 cc one fits well, so i am down to these 2 options. i am now wondering if the 60 cc extra the 320 cc gives is really necessary... any inputs?

thanks.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:37 AM
elan120
My Feedback: (1)

In my case, I am using 12 oz tank (350cc) and prior to that, I had a 11 oz tank (320cc) running Magnum #2 (~30%), 13X6 APC, OS-F plug with YS63S, and it will last 12 minutes with planty fule left for landing.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:40 AM
shomenda
My Feedback: (2)

What it all boils down to are your personal preferences. Obviously, the larger capacity fuel tank will increase your aircraft's weight when fully fueled but will provide longer flights when fully fueled, however, if you prefer shorter flights and don't mind an occasional dead-stick landing due to fuel exhaustion, stick with the 260 CC tank.
SH
Old 10-21-2005, 06:12 PM
FullSpeedAhead

would be eyeing at around an 8 minute flight, therefore not really if the 260 cc is sufficient, not really wise to take such risks, hate those dead-stick landings, therefore seeking opinion... waiting for more views to come in b4 i make the decision... thanks all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.