Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New Kyosho Oxalys 50 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:46 AM
smok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Kyosho Oxalys 50 ?

Maybe it's the cleaner ?? I am using plain methanol and a piece of soft cloth to clean my planes.

Btw. just got My Oxalys at Pigs-Airlines, they had eight just shipped to them and sold three the first day. Hurry if you want one...

Cheers,

Smok
Old 11-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Nickolas

ORIGINAL: FullSpeedAhead

hi all oxalys owners, have a little problem here. has anyone found out that the covering used to film the plane is pretty much fading away? the colour seems to be fading away badly on many of the colours, mine esp the pearl blue. i have put 7 flights into the plane, using coolpower 20% heli and after flying a clean down with ordinary window/glass degreaser cleaner. i have not had such a problem on any of my other planes and i am wondering if this happened only to my plane, any comments?

thx
I had no problems at all and used alcohol for cleaning. I have around 40 flights or so with Cool Power Heli 30%. The only problem I faced was during ironing, depending on colour this material shrinks differently...
Old 11-17-2005, 07:03 PM
FullSpeedAhead

gosh.. okay.. den something has to be wrong with my cleaner, better change it b4 the entire colours fades off.. thanks...
Old 11-20-2005, 08:34 AM
FullSpeedAhead

okay i have got my CG perfect after adding 30 grams of tailweight which is a lot! looking for other alternatives but in the meanwhile, this should work fine too for a small plane.. enjoying every bit of it. 12 flights so far and going strong.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:44 AM
evansh

Has anyone tried a Saito 82a in this model. Any issues fitting into cowl?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:30 AM
smok

Yes, please anyone who have tried Saito 82 on the Oxalys, or has ideas on that share it here..

I tried to see if it would fit in the cowl and it's not clear - possibly it will need two small holes for the rockers' covers at the bottom of the cowl.

Another thing to consider is a vibration, but that's easy to tame with a soft mount. Also the tank would need to be in the forward position.

The Saito should turn a 13x7 or 13x8 or maybe 12x9 still with 15% CoolPower, with 20% or 30% it would be a serious piece of power.

I am interested since I have one that I can use, while buying a YS63 with Hatori muffler will need to wait for a longer time..

cheers,

Smok
Old 11-23-2005, 08:43 PM
evansh

I had a Saito 82a in Excelleron 50 and used 13 x 7 with Coolpower 15%. Tried to get another following a wipe out due to loss of signal or serious interference. The Saito 82a and Excelleron was very good - far better than my flying ability.
No Excelleron 50 available in Singapore but found Oxalys and have bought yesterday.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:06 AM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

It's been a while since I checked this thread. It sure got too long to read.

After reading the last two pages,

Saito 82 should be very good or stronger (slightly lighter) than YS 63 except the pump.
I don't remember the height of the Saito 72, but I think it is almost same with 82 as Saito 82 has just a little more bore.

I am finally waiting on my backorders to arrive next Tuesday.
Who here bought from me? I know at least two in this thread got the Oxalys 50 from me.

Nickolas & FullSpeedAhead,
I will talk to Kyosho regarding the covering and post their reply here.

Ihncheol Park
P & A Hobbies

Old 11-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Nickolas

Hi Patternflyer,

I have not problem whatsoever with the material, I think it brilliant and can be handled easily. The only issue is that the silver stripes shrink a lot more than the rest of the colours at the same temperature. I believe this is normal because it is silver...

With regards to engine I think the perfect engine for the plane is YS-63 without pipe just with the muffler, as it comes nose heavy with the pipe according to what has been written here. I personally use an OS-70 Ultimate, a little bit heavier than YS-63 but still a very good choice. Ultimate can turn an APC 13x7 prop on 30% Cool Power with no problems at all, offering excellent thrust for the plane. I think someone mentioned in this thread that the prototype was flown with the OS-70 Ultimate, I'm not very sure about this though...

Saito 82 will be another option but someone will have to place the tank behind the firewall unless a Perry pump is used.

Rgrds,

Nick
Old 11-24-2005, 01:46 PM
PatternFlyer

Nickolas,

Yes. the Prototype was flown with OS Ultimate 70. Although the box has the picture with YS.
I have the setup data on the Prototype.

By the way, what rpm do you get with OS 70/13x7/30% combo?

Ihncheol Park
Old 11-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Nickolas

Patternflyer,

Can you please send the setup of the prototype? It is really strange though CPLR usually goes with YS, they are his sponsors. Is the prototype in the video from Kyosho's web site?

I have not measured any rpm with this prop. I adjusted the mix needle where it sounded as peak rpm and then richened around 5 clicks. The engine runs very well, there's lots of smoke coming out. I had measured rpm when I was 3Ding with a 14x4W and same fuel on another plane, it was around 9700-9800 rpm if not mistaken. I'm pretty satisfied with the whole combo and flight behaviour of this plane, hope my OS-70 Ultimate not to betray me at some point, as it is very difficult to find parts for it.

Rgrds,

Nick

Old 12-09-2005, 01:39 PM
dflynt
My Feedback: (48)

How is the stock gear holding up? I discarded mine, and replaced them with an $11.00 pair that I found at Horizon Hobby. The replacement gear is for their 60 size edge 540. Item number is SEA1031. They are a little shorter than the original gear, but otherwise fit into the fuse slots and works well with the stock wheel pants. A 13 in prop is no problem. 14 inch or larger would probably require taller gear.

My plane balanced at the middle of the cg range with these gear. They are not swept back like the orignal, but they look ok.

David

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82710.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	367396  
Old 12-09-2005, 01:52 PM
PatternFlyer

Dave,

Your Oxalys looks great with the normal gear. Did you also cut it half and re-drilled the mounting holes?

To all of you,

How bad is the landing gear supplied with the kit?

Ihncheol Park
P & A Hobbies
Old 12-09-2005, 03:56 PM
dflynt

ORIGINAL: PatternFlyer

Dave,

Your Oxalys looks great with the normal gear. Did you also cut it half and re-drilled the mounting holes?

To all of you,

How bad is the landing gear supplied with the kit?

Ihncheol Park
P & A Hobbies
Hi Ihncheol,

These came cut in half already, and they fit perfectly in the width of the fuselage. I redrilled the holes and replaced the blind nuts with 4-40 blind nuts.

I used most of the hardware supplied in the kit. I replaced the snap links with Tetra 2mm ball links, and used my own fuel dot, but otherwise used all of the clevises and hardware. I like the supplied tailwheel, tank -- everything but the landing gear. The alloy used in the gear bends easily and does not spring back into shape. Here are a few more pictures of my install.

David

Name:	Db84469.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	367431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88408.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	367432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44455.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	367433  
Old 12-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Clavy

Ihncheol,

The stock gear are just to flimsy. Anything less than a perfect landing, the gear will squash and more than likely nick the prop. We've been using the Bolly F3A standard gear with good results. It may be a little more pricey than other alterntives but it works well and there are no hassles.

Clay

Name:	Ay74332.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	367624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65948.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	367625  
Old 12-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Nickolas

Hi,

The stock landing gear worked perfectly fine for me, no problems at all.

Nick

Old 12-10-2005, 01:21 PM
smok

I used to think that the gear supplied with Kyosho planes is too weak. But the problem was with the pilot ;-)
Usually it bent when the landing was too rough, but that forced me to work on my landings and now I have no problems with it anymore.
Also I now think that it is better that the gear bends when the landing is too hard, but the rest of the plane stays OK.

cheers,

Smok
Old 12-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Clavy

Maybe it was just the gear in my Buddy's kit that was too soft. It wouldn't even take a better than average landing without bending. I'm building my second and I just might try the stock gear on this one and see how I get along. Sure would be nice not to have to fork out the extra money for a good gear.

Clay
Old 12-11-2005, 07:31 AM
FullSpeedAhead

my gear is also not really strong and bends really much, even on the take off, the gear bends a bit (grass runway). now i've got to bend it back to shape practically after every flight... but i like the shape of the gear very much! =P

P.S: am currently in japan, r/c shopping here is so much fun! been to champ r/c and saw the kyosho oxalys as well, they have the version with the YS too, pretty good price.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:31 PM
dflynt

Clay,

I like the bolly gear on your Oxalys. I had placed an online order for these, but they were out of stock, so I went with the aluminum gear.

I really endorse this plane, and perhaps it was completely unnecessary to replace the gear, but I felt they would bend too easily.

Ok, back to the plane. I just had my first flight today. This is a fantastic plane. It is very solid, and now I know why you said it flies like a 2m plane. It feels and handles very much like my PL Partner. The fuse produces outstanding lift during knife edge at low speed and low rudder deflection. I detected no pitch coupling, just a slight, ever so slight roll out in knife edge. Probably not worth even mixing out. It rolls very nice. A little rudder and a touch of down while passing through inverted. Snaps are predictable and crisp.

My first day setup is:

[ul][*] CG at 195-200mm from TE of wing[*]YS 63 with stock muffler[*]Stock rail mounts used with rubber 6-32 well nuts[*]JR 9411sa all around except for 3421sa on throttle[*]Battery mounted just behind wing in a hatch like Clay's plane[*]Throws same as given in the manual except for rudder. I have normal flight mode set to 70% which is about 40mm side-side.
Ailerons 10mm, Elevator 15mm.[*]APC 12x7[*]2380 grams or 5 1/4 pounds total weight dry.
[/ul]

I am pleased with the mount, low noise, and low vibration. The YS 63 is a perfect match. Power is sufficient for snaps on a vertical line, knife edge loop at 5/8 throttle, and for any pattern manuever. I will try the 13x6, but right now my Tru-turn 2 1/4 spinner is not cut wide enough.

I am glad that I used the 9411sa. They are really quick, precise, and powerful. While not necessary, this plane is good enough to deserve them.

This will be a nice plane to put lunchtime flights on. It fits in my Honda Accord, and I can keep it with me.

David
Old 12-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Clavy

Hi David,

I found another supplier for Bolly Products, Aero Products. Their web site is http://www.aeroproduct.net/. They cater mostly to our control-line stunt brethren. They advertise the F3A standard gear for $37.00. Don't know if they have them in stock as I have not contacted them yet, but that is considerably cheaper than what PAC sells them for.

I'm glad you like your Oxalys. I know the statement I made about this airplane flying like a 2 meter was a big one, and I'm sure a few reading this thread would find that hard to believe, but it really does. The YS .63 is a perfect engine for this plane. The power this engine provides with the airplanes flying qualities does closely imulate a good 2 meter. And David, as you know, the PL Partner is a very good 2 meter. Makes a guy wonder just how good the 2 meter Oxalys really is.

When we first started flying the Oxalys my buddy and I were using 20% nitro. I've since run out of 20% and all I had in the house was heli 30%. Holy smokes! The YS .63 loves this stuff! I'm using a APC 13x7 right now and after a little more time on the engine I'm going to try a 13x8. Rpms with the 13x7 are in the high 11K range with the 13x7.

Again, anyone wanting to fly precision aerobatics can't hardly go wrong with this setup.

Clay
Old 12-21-2005, 07:38 AM
j woodward

HI All,

I am going to try and put my Oxalys together over the next few weeks. Dave, glad to see you like the plane so much. Maybe with its smaller size, you can stay under the fog layer that sometimes comes to your neck of the woods. I still haven't bought an engine though - thinking YS, or maybe a 2-cycle.

Jim W.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:13 AM
dflynt

Hi Jim,

Yes, I really like it. I have 10 flights on it. I would have more, but I just got back from a trip to New York.

>Maybe with its smaller size, you can stay under the fog layer that sometimes comes to your neck of the woods.
Well, at least I can keep it with me and fly during lunch where I work, which is less foggy than where I normally fly.

You know I like YS so I am partial. I would recommend the YS .63, even if you are more comfortable with two strokes. This little engine is very powerful for this airframe. It is guaranteed performance and easy to run. You don't need special fuel for this engine either. I don't really hit full throttle with it. It seems a bit fast at full.

I had good luck with CG by choosing the YS and using stock muffler without soft mount. I used some rubber well nuts in a poor attempt to provide a little isolation, but regardless, I am pleased with the low sound and vibration level. I had purchased the Hatori short pipe, header, and hyde mount, but those parts added an extra 3.5 ounces to the nose, and for this plane you don't want it there.

I hope you enjoy yours. This is a neat little plane.

Dave
Old 01-11-2006, 03:21 PM
thesenator

does anyone know of a .90 or a 1.20 version of this plane?
it's exactly what i want just too small!
anything similar in looks and quality but bigger?

thanks guys
J
Old 01-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Clavy

It was suggested to Kyosho that they produce a .90 size version. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. If they do, knowing how the .50 flies, I'd be one of the first in line placing an order.

Clay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.