Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New Kyosho Oxalys 50 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:01 AM
bla bla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Kyosho Oxalys 50 ?

Just use what ever you have: Oxalys 50 and a Saito 72.
Use the mount with the kit, the tank and all the fitting/links/pushrods etc. Use standard servos and don't but anything extra.
Sure you can buy a better engine, better hardware, better UC but who gives a crap.
Sure you can mount the tank on the CG and one million other things but it is what it is. It's a small Kyosho ARF hobby plane design to give people a taste without having to add a hobby shop worth of extras!
Build it that way and start learning.
Later, if you want a better engine and the tank on the CG... change it.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:05 AM
1ricardo
My Feedback: (25)

I couldn't agreed more! Bla bla is 100% right!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:21 AM
RUFTER

Same here! There's no need to pimp this baby, it flies great just out of the box. For the guys who insist on using an MK bellcrank, they don't need it it to reduce slop, the standard pushrods work fine. It's just so much nicer to write in a forum thread that you've added a bellcrank and a "little" lead to get the CG in place. If you want great flight characteristics don't just look at the engine, try to build your plane as light as possible!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:04 PM
EGE

hello! i´am new this forum. and my english is not so good. but if yous understanding what i say. so i ordering oxalys 50 and i have O.S.61 FX imagine 50 and i think is worked fine in oxalys 50?
Old 08-25-2006, 12:41 PM
bla bla

Go for it!
Old 08-25-2006, 01:03 PM
EGE

thanks! I try put my imagine 50 photo in avatar but no`t work[&o]
Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 PM
mikehannah

Hi
As i just killed my Stream 50 last week i have been looking at the Oxalys as a replacement.
In the Stream I had the servos ( muliplex speed micros) fitted in the tail for the elevators and rudders and i was wondering if i could do the same
thing with the Oxalys. All the posts i have read suggest the plane needs tail weight to some varying degrees.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 11:15 AM
RUFTER

The plane does not need weight in the tail, that just depends on your motorization! If you fly with a YS63 or heavier 4-stroke you will need lead to get a good CG position, If you use a .50 2-stroke the CG is just fine. I fly my Oxalys 50 with an OS50SX and Hatori Copy tuned pipe (pictures on page 11 of this thread), no lead whatsoever, lightest take-off weight possible and still unlimited vertical performance...
Old 09-03-2006, 12:37 PM
BRIAN95

Hey Guys,
I am really intersted in purchasing this ARF ( Oxalys 50 ) in addition to my Venus 40 which is powered by a YS 63 FZS.
How is the covering and the overall quality of the kit? As I understand that they are not using any well known covering but a lower quality alternative?

Thanks
Brian
Old 09-03-2006, 01:30 PM
dflynt
My Feedback: (48)

The quality is good. The lite and balsa used is not the best you can get, so it is not a featherweight, however it flies well and is powered with unlimited performance with the YS 63. It is structurally sound and rugged with exception of the landing gear. I purchased some inexpensive aluminum gear. The gear that comes with the model looks nice, but the alloy has no spring and bends too easily to be very useful. The covering is good. It reminds me of ultracote (oracover), and is strong. It is not the stuff that rips easily. It feels thicker/heavier than monocote.

The paint on the cowl is durable and is nice. The cowl is a sturdy fiberglass.

Probably the best part about the plane is the fit of the parts and therefore it is an easy build. My wing halves matched perfectly, and are straight. They were very easy to join. The stab fit very snug and perpendicular to the fin and parallel to the wing.

The thing I did not like about the kit is it tends to come out nose heavy. I had to mount my battery way back, and I did not use a hyde mount because I needed to conserve weight up front. I don't like to add weight, but many Oxalys owners need to add lead to the tail.

I would recommend the kit if you are interested, especially since you have the ideal engine already. It is a sport-grade model, but it flies pattern quite well, and the maneuvers can be huge with the YS 63.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:44 PM
BRIAN95

Thanks for the answer!
Therefore I will purchase it.
Are the servos for the Elevator and rudder positioned near the tail or inside the body above the wing??

Thanks
Old 09-03-2006, 01:56 PM
ctsh

I planning to buy a Bolly landing gear to my plane but I have doubts about wich model, size, etc. Is there a standard ones for this plane?
Old 09-03-2006, 03:21 PM
dflynt

The standard install for elev/rudd servos are above the wing, but I think you could mount them aft. It would just require more thought and work. Since this is not a 2m plane, I did not get fancy. I even used the wooden dowel for the elevator pushrod, which works quite well. The only deviation I made was mount the elevator servo on it's side so that there was no side-side movement of the pushrod.

Someone on this thread has described which version of the bolly gear. I believe it is the standard or smallest size.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Super D

Standard F3A from bolly is what I used. I agree with dflynt, I use the saito 82 and am Happy with this plane. I fly it in sportsman, it does well until the wind gets up. Its small size gets blown around, compared to a 2 meter.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:18 AM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

Super D,
I flew again today. Yes it does get blow away with wind. My rusted fingers can not keep it flying in a straight line[>:].
Don't have enough time to finish any larger planes that I have for the contest next weekend.
Have you flown the Sword yet?

13x6 on YS63 gives plenty of vertical pull, but I am having problem with speed. It is a little too fast for my taste even at half throttle.
What prop are you running on the Saito 82?

DFlynt
Are you back to flying?

Ihncheol Park
Old 09-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Super D

Yes I flew the sword, flies great once I got the engine squared away. I also got a aeroslave "ARIES", just need a few servos and it should fly.

I've used a old MK 12.5X7.5, and an apc 13x8. I usually fly mine too fast but if you slow down in wind it makes for some awful crab angles and shows my mistakes.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:23 PM
dflynt

ORIGINAL: PatternFlyer

DFlynt
Are you back to flying?

Ihncheol Park
Hi Ihncheol. I wish. I am planning/leading a single day summit of Mt. Whitney with a group of 8 on Sept. 29th. I am consumed with training right now for this day. Thereafter, I think I can readjust priorities. I have a couple nice planes to fly now, so I should be able to get back into it easily. One thing that really through me off this year was a change to two strokes. I found I needed a much longer pipe recess, and I never completed a mold for a pipe extension. All in all, the break from pattern has been incredible for my health and happiness. I am a little nervous about getting back into it because I never want to sacrifice health for a hobby again. Being good a pattern takes a big commitment. I'll probably never be good, which is ok.

David
Old 09-22-2006, 02:47 AM
EdgyEdge540

Would the Oxalys make a good second plane?
I am moving from my trainer (Kyosho Calmato) which has a semi-symmetrical airfoil (not flat-bottom) and does most of the moves, even knife edges. Would power it with 50 size two stroke and include expos as well. You guys would recommend this? or would this be too advanced for me?

Old 09-25-2006, 01:29 PM
RUFTER

Normally i would say no, a pattern ship is not a good second plane, you should first move to a low-wing sport plane. BUT... If you can manage to keep a Calmato in steady knife-egde, go ahead!
Old 09-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Sawacs
My Feedback: (4)

Gents, I just test flew my Oxalys 50 yesterday and holy cow moo moo!! This is one incredible plane..

I am running a Saito 72 with a 13x6 APC/ 15/18 fuel and the combo works great! You do not really need the power of an Saito 82 on this thing but since the engine is a little lighter than a 72, there is no harm done. With the 72/13x6 prop combo there is plenty of power with room to spare.

The weight came out at exactly 5.8 pounds less fuel with 9001's all the way around except for the throttle where I placed a 3101 mini. I also placed two elevator servos in the plane with 2-56 p-rods along with a pull-pull for the rudder and 1400 NIMH 6v battery from NOBS.

This is my first true pattern plane and it is incredibly smooth!

Enjoy the pics, Sawacs

Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Super D

Nice, I flew mine today as well.

Your in OK, you ought to make a pattern event, good people and really improves your skills.

Here's some links if your interested.

[link=http://members.cox.net/don.ramsey/index.htm]Don Ramsey's site[/link]

[link=http://www.nsrca.org/]NSRCA[/link]
Old 09-26-2006, 01:24 AM
EdgyEdge540

ORIGINAL: BRIAN95

How is the covering and the overall quality of the kit? As I understand that they are not using any well known covering but a lower quality alternative?

Thanks
Brian
From what i have read, Kyosho has their own covering called Light Cote . They have had quite a few people complain of the covering peeling off from fuel after a few flights. I have had similar problems with my Kyosho Calmato and have used Monokote to re-cover. It stuck very nicely to the Kyosho Light Cote and the red color Monokote matched perfectly. Hopefully Kyosho has switched to Monokote or UltraCote for the Oxalys.

Cheers
Sham
Old 09-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Mach1GB

Does anybody know what font 'Oxalys' is wirtten in on this kit? I want to cut my own decals and would like to get the same font.

Thanks for your help.

Matt
Old 09-30-2006, 12:33 PM
jernejk

Hi!

I'm thinking about getting into pattern for some time now. At a local meeting today I've seen an older guy flying his pattern plane (an older model) and it was awesome to watch, especially between all the other "helter skelter" pilots. It would be cool to fly like that!

So, how do I start? And which model to choose? There are so many models today that it's impossible to choose ONE. And I'm sick of cheap models that look good, but just don't fly that well; I want a model that's well known to be good. For practical reasons, I'd prefer a 40-50 size model, and most probably EP.

After much browsing and reading, I've got a candidate - Kyosho Oxalys. But, on the other hand, I wonder:
- does the plane have any bad habits?
- how hard is it to land?
- is it too good plane for a pattern beginner pilot? Will it just make me look stupid?

My experience:
I've been flying for 4 years now. I've flown: first small electric plane then .40 glow trainer, .40 low wing trainer.
Currently I'm flying Phoenix Giles .40. In my opinion it's not a very pleasant plane to fly and has some bad habits...

Thanks
Jernej
Old 09-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Sawacs
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: jernejk

Hi!

I'm thinking about getting into pattern for some time now. At a local meeting today I've seen an older guy flying his pattern plane (an older model) and it was awesome to watch, especially between all the other "helter skelter" pilots. It would be cool to fly like that!

So, how do I start? And which model to choose? There are so many models today that it's impossible to choose ONE. And I'm sick of cheap models that look good, but just don't fly that well; I want a model that's well known to be good. For practical reasons, I'd prefer a 40-50 size model, and most probably EP.

After much browsing and reading, I've got a candidate - Kyosho Oxalys. But, on the other hand, I wonder:
- does the plane have any bad habits?
- how hard is it to land?
- is it too good plane for a pattern beginner pilot? Will it just make me look stupid?

My experience:
I've been flying for 4 years now. I've flown: first small electric plane then .40 glow trainer, .40 low wing trainer.
Currently I'm flying Phoenix Giles .40. In my opinion it's not a very pleasant plane to fly and has some bad habits...

Thanks
Jernej
Every plane has its habbits in one way or another: some bad some good.

The Oxalys, IMHO, doesnt really have any bad habbits when flown like it should be flown.

If I had to point out one bad habbit it would be the slight lack of right thrust with the engine but that could simply be me and my mounting technique. This is easily taken care of by mixing but I really dislike mixing (fly the plane rather than cheat)

This plane does not slow down and crawl in on landing but it does not land like a jet either (my control throws could make me keep my speed up higher than the plane actually needs). I would say it is about average and loves nice 3 point landings.

Mine wabbles back and fourth in the stall and tries to drop a wing but thats okay because it is not a 3d bird. When flaring in ground effect on landing, I do not notice the tendancy (mine meets the ground when the elevator stick is at full travel).

If I had to summarize it, I would say.......

- A Saito 72 will power the craft perfectly with no need for anything larger (the vertical legs are incredible and will allow you to overshoot the box easily if you compete: I do not)
- It will actually make you look like a better pilot
- For me it was a perfect beginner patten plane with the ability to compete with the best of them.

The only drawback is I had to add some tail weight which was a rather easy fix.

Cheers, Sawacs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.