Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Laser throw meter

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 07:46 PM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser throw meter

While having some down time waiting for my motors to get back, I decided to order one of those laser meters from Budd Engineering to ck out my setup. Never used one or seen one used before, and it was quite enlightening.

I've got seperate elevator servos, running on 2 channels. I always thought that setting a high throw and matching that with atv on both servos, then going into afr and setting a common combined throw in each condition would give me equal movement of both surfaces, but that didn't turn out to be the case with mine. I'm using 3 conditions, one for takeoff/landing, one for normal flying, and one for spins. I found with this meter that I had to go into each condition for the 2nd servo setup and set different atv values for that servo in that condition to match the halves. The clamp on meter that I was using was never accurate enough to show me this. I imagine I have slight differences in my horns creating some differential. Probably clear as mud, but it will be interesting to see if the tracking improves.

I'll have to work on the ailerons tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:55 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Laser throw meter

Yeah, Jerry's laser meter is good. Now that you brought it up, maybe it's time to get it out and check the planes again.