Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Ys 160 Dz first start in the morning

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Ys 160 Dz first start in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 11:48 AM
najary

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Ys 160 Dz first start in the morning

Hi all
Does anybody can tell me how can I start my Ys 160 DZ in one touch on the first time of the flying day.
I use the hemostat method on the supply fuel line.
I found that it's better to dry the engine after the last flight so it will not contain amount of oil that is hard to get rid of on the first start of the next flying day. (The nitro and the methanol vaporize).
I refuel the plane with the hemostat on.
After the first start I can start the engine in one touch.
Isaac Najary
Old 07-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Tuomas Tanska

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ys 160 Dz first start in the morning

Hello

After you have filled the tank place the model on a stand cylinder head up. Open the throttle so that the fuel flows easily through the carb and start to turn the prop by hand. If your fuel tube and pump are dry you can see the fuel flows pretty slowly. When you have enough turns the pump gets primed and the fuel starts to run as it should, turn a couple of times more to choke the engine. After this procedure I set the throttle on idle and throw the prop quickly a few times to feel everything is okay. When I connect the glow and turn it with a starter my engine always starts as if it was just ran.

It isn't necessary to run the engine dry after the flights are done. I used to do this with FZ's and I still do with the L but not with the DZ's I have. The older engines with pressurized tank easily drop some fuel from the carb during trasport because there is some left after killing the engine with a switch. The DZ doesn't do this because of the direct injection fuel delivery so I feel there is no need to run it dry. I only run a DZ dry for a longer storage (like our winter) and drop some Aerosave oil in for protection against corrosion.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:21 PM
riot3d

Becareful when you prime the engine. Since it is direct injection, it can easily flood the engine.

My biggest problem is back firing during start up, I broke a cam gear on my 140 DZ one time because of the tremendous amount of torque on the engine. A friend of mine from Japan is sending me a glow driver with time delay, can't wait to try it.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:53 AM
Luke 3D returns

The problem people have generally with the first start of the day with the 160DZ is getting fuel into the pump - it needs a good ten seconds at least at full power to get fuel into the pump. This generally isnt effected by the model's attitude, and it gets easier as the engine becomes more run in. If your starter cant hack turning it over for ten seconds + then removing the plug reduces the load on the starter during the priming stage.

You can see how long it takes for your engine to get fuel into its pump by connecting a long peice of tubing to the tank vent, and then turning it over with a starter at full power. When you see slugs of fuel in your tubing getting sucked very quickly into the tank you know fuel has got to the pump.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:18 AM
paulblake427

Following on from yr problem my 160 seems to run out of fuel after starting and running for approx 2 minutes at various engine settings. I think the valves in the pump arn't seating properly. Anybody had the same problem ?

Paul
Old 07-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Alaska Reeves
My Feedback: (3)

Hi, All you have to do is install a fuel T right behind the fuel intake line. Put the outlet where you can get to it in a convenient place. On the first start of the day open your fuel outlet and crank the engine with the starter until fuel spurts out of the outlet. Close the outlet and put motor on low and crank it up as normal. No turning plane upside down or chance of flooding. Works great. Reeves Lippincott, Alaska.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:08 PM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Although I used hemostats to prevent flooding in the begining of my learning process with the 160DZ I no longer find them necessary. I fuel normally with T between tank and engine and prime the engine using a electric starter for 5 seconds or so then add glow power and it starts easly. I find if the engine is left static for a period of time, say 30 minutes or so, the prime is lost and it takes a few truns with the starter for it to fire again. As with my 140FZ and 120FZ I run the engine dry at the end of each flying session<----I asked Richard of YS about running dry and he recommended it on the DZ too.

Question for 160DZ users, I am running 30% Heli Cool Power fuel, APC 18X10 prop and OS-F plug. I am seeing about 8500 RPM is this about right?? The idle is solid as a rock and transition is great. I think I like this 160DZ best of all my 4 cycle YSs, I also run YS 2cycles in my heli, .61ST2 and it is great also. Would appreciate hearing from other 160DZ operators as to what RPM you guys are seeing, thanks.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Old 07-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Luke 3D returns

i think i am getting 7500-8000 on a 19x8W on wildcat 30%
Old 07-28-2005, 03:17 PM
riot3d

I have been using 17 x 12 w with good results, around 8,500 rpm, Magnum DZ fuel.

Adrian
Old 07-31-2005, 01:29 PM
jamesjoneill

whilst we're comparing rpm figures, I get about 8.2 - 8.3k on a 17x13, CP30 fuel and hatori exhaust. Seems about right to me, paower is awesome and it's really quiet.

First start of the day does take a bit longer as it has to draw fuel (as talked about above) but I know this and expect it and it isn't a problem. All subsequent starts are first flick of the starter.

James