Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Sword 2M pattern plane

Old 07-23-2005, 12:04 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sword 2M pattern plane

I got a 2M pattern plane called Sword off eBay.
So far, it is doable under 11lb.
Here are the weight of each components.
All the weights are in grams.

Engine mount 81.
Fuel tank 85.
Tail wheel/brackets screws 17
Main gear w/ mounting screws 222
Main wheels w/ pangs 52.
Wing joiner (dihedral built-in) 38
Stab tube (aluminum) 19
Pushrods/servo hole cover (may be the plywood piece for the wing mounting screws) 41
Engine Mount support wood blocks 82
Engine mount screws 69
Bellcrank, pull-pull, control horns 71 (There is an opening at the buttom of the fuse where the bellcrank goes on. Pull-pull wire exits are under the covering near based on the manual).
Other screws 16
Cowl 128
Belly pan (open tunnel, not really a pan) 104
Front pan (covers the landing gear mounting & header, removable to front after cowl removal) 34
Uncut Canopy 91
Rudder 59
R. horizontal stab w/ elevator 111
L. Horizontal stab w/ elevator 105
R. Wing panel 409
L. Wing panel 458
Fuselage 617
Approximate distance from front of thrust washer (back of the spinner) to beginning of pipe stinger 34.5" +/- .5"

Total weight 2909 grams. All including CA type hinges.

Pictures below shows the entire airframe.

Since I am a dealer for various distributors, I won't have any problem getting necessary parts
I will add more pictures after reducing the size of the pictures.

I don't think I will use the supplied engine mount, 2 of 3 mount block and couple of other parts that came with the kit because they are too heavy.
More later,

Ihncheol Park
P & A Hobbies
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79250.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	300580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63655.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	300581  
Old 07-24-2005, 07:01 PM
flyjohn
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Sword 2M pattern plane

What would be some good options for the landing gear? And what is best way to keep the covering from coming up at the edges? I know the manual doesn't really give a measurement for the distance from the firewall to spinner or the right thrust. Have you determined what they should be?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:40 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

I too have picked this plane up from ebay. i have yet to really dive into it but am impresssed so far with the overall quality. I am going to check my other bolly gear to see if it will replace the stock setup. Either way, its got to go... way too heavy.

I will also order some gator stab adjusters for the tail section. I feel this can only help making final setup changes and trimming easier.

Will try to help Inchenol with filling up his build thread here as I get into the plane further.

Power wil hopefully be a mintor 170 to try and keep weight down or OS 160 to keep cost down. Depends on which way this thing heads once i get started.

Always land wheels down.

Chuck Hochhalter
Old 08-02-2005, 04:52 PM
PatternFlyer

So far, I have the thrust line drawn on the firewall. Since I am not going to use the stock mount, I am waiting until I can figure out how to mount a nose ring to use with Budd Engineering mount for YS 140.

Landing gears may be substituted with Bolly or Matt K's landing gear, or ES design landing gear (not sure on ES, but I think I saw them) or from Icepoint?
I know that the stock gears are heavy, but still can make 11lb limit.
I will try to measure the distance from firewall to the front end of the cowl.

Hey, Chuck!

Did you get yours?
I am getting another one for my shop even though I have not started building it yet.

Horizontal stab mounting dowels are not at the same position so the incidences on two horizontal stabs are different.
I will have to check the diameter of the Gator stab tube again, because it did not fit in the stab halves.
I am not sure if GatorRC will sell the adjusters only. I just don't want to use the adjusters out of my Gator stab kit.

My wing halves are curved at leading edges. Not much, but it is visible when you look at the leading edges from side. It's like >>> ~
Hope it doesn't cause much problem.

I am going to use the stock canopy with air exit on the back end of the cabin. I am not really sure if I am going to tint it since it won't handle the heat very well.

Mintor 170 or OS 160 surely will haul this bird out of sight. I may try a muffler with my Webra 160 since the tuned pipe may not fit within the tunnel.

Attached are the wing joint that goes on to the first bulkhead. I may add carbon fiber between the two wing halves.

I am also thinking about glassing the center section of the wing.

Fuel tank is not located on CG, so a littlbe bit of surgery is necessary.

I will equip the plane with following
1x JR 770 PCM receiver.
2x 8411 converted to 8411SA for Rudder (pull-pull) & Elevator (bellcrank)
2x 9411SA for Ailerons
1x JR or Hitec micro for throttle, double this if using Webra 160.

Battery pack depends on CG and final weight.

I will put more pictures when I start building the Sword.

Later,

Ihncheol Park
P & A Hobbies

Name:	Zx70555.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	304769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88298.jpg
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	304770  
Old 08-02-2005, 04:56 PM
PatternFlyer

Oops,
Forgot to mention the right thrust thing.
I believe the plane does not take down thrust. None built-in or any mount block has down thrust.

One of the 3 mount block has what appears to be the side thrust (wedge shaped). I am trying to figure out how to cut out another one like this and may add for down thrust.

I hate to mess up with firewall and engine mount.[>:]

later,
Old 08-08-2005, 01:55 PM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

What do you think of a Sword with a ST2300 as a poor man's introduction to 2 meter pattern airplanes? Has anybody actually flown one of these yet?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:03 PM
yjahn
My Feedback: (71)

ST2300 should be fine when used with a tuned pipe.
The plane as it is will weigh close to 11 pounds, so be careful not to put too much weight.
Changing the items mentioned in previous postings can reduce a little bit of weight.

I will put a few pictures hopefully tonight.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:12 PM
PatternFlyer

I used my wife's ID above. Didn't know she logged on.

Ihncheol Park
Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer

Inch. I have decided on the Mintor 170 with an aeroslave cf pipe. This pipe is short and smooth on the power curve, you may consider this for your application. I know Bob P. is using it on a OS 160 and others on an os 140 so it is quite versatile.

I am going to try and build all stock except for stap adjusters of some kind.

The mount i am going to use is the HYDE ARIA (sp) for the nose ring support. Otherwise, you might try rcaerobats.com i think.

This is where Bob P. built on his Aresti a nifty nose ring support.

As for the fuel tank setup. I am going to paint the canopy and cut a hole in the floor and strap the tank on the cg area.

More to come.. Chuck

Yes mine is here.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:33 PM
PatternFlyer

Ok, guys,
I have a couple more pictures here.
These are mostly for reference. The lines on the firewall is drawn as a datum line (center one).
If you add up the two lengths in the pictures, you will have around 34" without the stinger area. Subtract about .5 ~ .75" from that to have enough space to mount the cowl.

I am going with Mintor 140 I got used. Still thinking about the tuned pipe.
Well, I still have not contacted any of ES Design or Aeroslave for possibility of dealership.

I got my BlueBird 140 tuned pipe to test it with.

If the Mintor 140 is not enough, I will go with Webra 160.

I am also going to keep the kit as stock as possible, but the engine mount is a replacement. Gator adjusters are a must for the horizontal stab due to the factory mistake.

The picture of cowl may show the different curve right above the air inlet holes. The paint chips away really easy, so be careful.

I belive the two holes right next to the header tunnel are for the access of firewall, otherwise the two holes may not be a good idea since I may have to put RX pack behind the firewall.

It's building time!
More on this later.

Ihncheol Park
P & A Hobbies
[email protected]

Name:	Da83317.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	308145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76829.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	308146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34195.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	308147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45964.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	308148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81118.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	308149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq97257.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	308150  
Old 08-10-2005, 09:37 PM
astropuppy

PatternFlyer,

Thanks for posting. Do you happen to know what size spinner the Sword uses?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:51 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer

Spent some time with my Sword this afternoon. It seems the wing joiner brace doesn't fit all the way into the wing halves as needed. Bout 1.5 inches short on each side.

I was thinking of trying to go all stock to help the average builder (like myself) but the landing gear is ridiculously heavy. Iplaced it next to the Bolly wide gear and it is almost identical in length (bolly .5 inch taller or slightly less) and the exact same sweep. Guess what is getting ordered next week!

All for now.

Chuck
Old 08-10-2005, 11:21 PM
PatternFlyer

Astro

I just measured the front of the cowl.
Guess what? the cowl is not perfectly round If I measure horizontally, it is around 81.5mm, vertically 79mm.

So, the spinner will be 3" Tru-turn standard with 120 slot. However, I have not measured the length of the fuse yet.
If you are going to use standard spinner like I do to save $$, adjust the engine mounting distance accordingly.

Chuck,
With the weight of the Mintor 170 ( I heard it weighs about the same with 160FX), I think you made a right choice.
I am still going to try the stock gear since it is already there with 3 drilling points marked from factory.

What radio gears are you going to use?
I will set it up with 8411SAs for Elevators & Rudder. Hitec 225 for throttle. JR 700 or 770 receiver with 1600mAh NiMH pack.
I have not decided with servo to use. I have 2x 8311, and some others. I was planning to use Futaba 9150, but they are too wide.
A standard servo will fit in the servo box in the wing, but will protrude from the mounting flange.
Gotta figure out what to do.

Also, Have you checked the balsa used for sides of the fuselage?
I think it is around 1/16" balsa and too soft.

Looks like I will end up pouring the foam safe CA to the inside of the fuse. Any other idea?

How about the wing center? glass?

Yes, the wing joiner is short. my wing joiner is 17 and 3/16" long and the wing joiner hole is 17 and 10/16"
So, mine is about 7/16" short. How come you and I have almost 2" difference in the length?

Also, check the wing to see if yours have slight ly curved leading edges like mine.

If you can measure the weight of each basic components, maybe we can compare how different they come out.

Later,

Ihncheol Park
Old 08-11-2005, 06:53 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer

I do have one wing that is a little.. wavy.. and the other is pretty straight. i think if i sand a little here and there on the wing joiner i can get it to fit properly.. just some finese.

the mintor weigh 27 oz i think and the os i thought was around 32.. could be wrong, i will have to do some digging again.

looking at the offset block for side thrust in the engine it looks way too big (too much degrees, around 4 i am guessing)

what else... i am going to order wing adjusters from Aeroslave and make the stab adjustable.

i will post more as i think about it... will try to weigh components tomorrow before i get to glueing

Chuck
Old 08-22-2005, 01:24 PM
astropuppy

Mine was delivered the other day. Pretty impressive for 155, 200 delivered. Haven't really looked at it hard, but, half the instructions show the fuel tank behind the firewall and the other half show it amidships. Just looking at it, I don't think I can get the tank forward because the (unshown) throttle servo mount is in the way. Do any of yours have a throttle servo mount?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:22 PM
PatternFlyer

Astro,
Mine has the throttle servo installed from the factory. Your don't?

Name:	Ki20000.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	313716  
Old 08-22-2005, 05:57 PM
astropuppy

Mine looks just like that. How do you get the fuel tank up front? The hole is in the firewall for it.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:23 PM
flyjohn

I put the fuel tank in space between the 2 formers in center of fuse an MK 580cc tank fits fine, glued in a couple braces and some foam hold it in place
Old 08-23-2005, 01:54 PM
astropuppy

thanks flyjohn, 580cc's I didn't realize the tank was that big. That's like 20 oz's I'm cheap so I think I'll try a 2 oz header tank up behind the firewall for my ST2300. If it doesn't work, I'll put a pump on it. Thanks again for the info. Have you flown yours yet?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:38 PM
flyjohn

Hey astropuppy, not flying my Sword yet, hoping for next weekend to have everything set up and get it out to the field. Only problem I had with mine was the stab. I used Gator stab adjuster set to get stab lined up as the right side stab tube came installed in wrong place. Building it basically stock except for engine mount and pushrods. Wonder if anyone else who has one is flying theirs yet?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:05 PM
astropuppy

flyjohn , I am not new to airplanes but very new to 2m pattern ships. With the gator adjusters can the stab be aligned without surgery? I was going to block it from behind and drill new holes. Also, what kind of mount did you use? I am trying to decide between the roll your brand from the piedmont website or a Budd mount. From the looks of everything the thrust washer really needs to be pushed out pretty far. Do you know if the cowl is suppose to butt up to the firewall or go over the fuselage? Mine fits either way. Tonight I'm going to investigate shorting the cowl. I'm still in the "Collect Parts" stage. But was hoping to mount the engine before working on the tail so I don't whack the tail into every wall in my (small) shop.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:02 PM
flyjohn

I'm using a hyde mount with my OS160 using the offset block to get the right thrust and added a nosering into the cowl . I have the cowl mounted overlapping the fuse and the distance I came up with was 6 7/8", firewall to thrust washer and total length was just under 2M. I cut into the stab to add the adjusters and added a 1/16" ply root rib. The gator stab tube socket fits into the socket already in the plane, so I used the stab that was correct as a guide and just had to drill into the other side stab to get it lined up.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:32 AM
308gts79
My Feedback: (2)

Who is selling this pattern plane? How do I get one? How much is it?
Old 08-26-2005, 01:20 PM
flyjohn

Ebay is only place I've seen them , I got mine for $229.00 total.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:23 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

where on ebay is it I did a search and couldnt find it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.