Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Excelleron 90 build in progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 09:28 AM
GM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Excelleron 90 build in progress

The temperature dropped below 60 degrees here finally. The YS 110 is making even MORE power now and I can hover the model even with a 15-10 prop. It's freakin' amazing. As I get more time on the model, the little tweaks are making it better and better. Unfortunately, it is also getting to be contest prep season and I'm spending more and more time with the F3C models and the Excelleron is getting less and less work.
Gordie
Old 01-09-2006, 05:25 AM
mikedsilva

gentlemen

up till recently, i was the owner of the excelleron 50 with an OS91 surpassII 4 stroke. loved it but i have sold it.
I have just ordered the Excelleron90 kit but am not too sure what motor to use.

I am not a competition flyer, nor do i do hovering... (totally unco-ordinated!)

i was thinking of utilising the existing 91 4 stroke for some nice gentle flying. I figure the total weight wont be over 8 pounds with this motor so the performance should be OK. I also have a new OS 120 SIII (has a pump) but these are a very heavy motor and i dont want to have to add lead to the tail.

The final alternative, was to buy the new Saito FA 125. I think they look a marvellous motor but didnt know where to buy one here in Aus... any ideas? or failing that, what would be the best store in the USA from which to mail order one?

regards

mike
Old 01-09-2006, 06:15 AM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,

The 91 would fly it around fairly well, but you already know your vertical will be limited, for stall turns and such.

The 120 would fly it better, but your right about it being heavy. Maybe you could use a 5 cell battery and use that to balance, just cut a hatch in the bottom, behind the wing saddle, install a tray and there ya' go!!!

I'm thinking about one of the Saito 125's myself, just to have, but I still have to pay my buddy for the YS 120 I got from him, so no Saito

Good luck, you're going to love this plane, with whatever motor you choose.

Ken
Old 01-09-2006, 09:51 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Ken.

I didn't get out this weekend at all (flying that is) so I didn't get to try out the mod for the fuel flow issue. But, I am supposed to be off on Wednesday and the weather is supposed to be warm. If so, and if it holds off raining until later on in the afternoon, I will give it a test fly then.

DS
Old 01-09-2006, 10:03 AM
kennyandannie

Sounds good Dick,

Let me know. If it doesn't do the trick, we'll figure something else out.

Ken
Old 01-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Robert Bauer

I have a Mark 135 up front in my Ex 90. All I had to do was put the bat. pack (6V) just aft of the trailing edge of wing. With a 16-8 APC the vertical is mostly unlimited. I did shim up the landing gear about 5/8" for some more ground clearance. Also lowered the tank as far as possible in order to line up with inverted engine needle valve. I would also beef up the landing gear mount plate before you poke holes in the wing. ( ask me why I say this) The only thing I must do now is get the skills to fly it as good as it is capable.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:23 PM
CGRetired

How did you manage to lower the tank? It (the stock tank that is) fits pretty snug in it's place as it is.

And, what is a Mark 135??

Thanks.

DS
Old 01-21-2006, 09:35 PM
mikedsilva

hi
well i have decided to buy the Saito 125... i ordered it from Hobby Horse who have sent it (well, at least my credit card has been debited!) and i am still waiting (just over a week now). The Excelleron instructions say that if you are using more than a 91 4stroke, to use the Dave Brown vibradamp mounting system, so i ordered one of those from dave brown products as well. The mount has already arrived and i must say that the rubber blocks are smaller and softer than the ones that came with the excelleron kit... lets hope its ok.

At this stage, i have joined the wings, glassed the centre joint as well, installed the belly pan with silicon and installed the servos and pushrods. I didnt use the supplied rods as one was a slightly smaller diameter than the other... this meant that using the supplied clevises, one rod would thread the plastic, the other smaller one would simply push straight through!.. not too good...

i bought some Tamiya "smoke" paint to do the inside of the canopy which i will stick on using either clear silicon, epoxy or maybe even some screws...
The stabiliser has been epoxied in; i have to do the vertical fin, install the control horns and then hinge the elevator halves and rudder.

I took the opportunity to install some 3/4inch triangular balsa (hard) in the tank compartment between the firewall and the fuse sides and i layed a couple of layers of glass in there as well for extra reinforcement. I also laid some glass in the corners where the landing gear plate is. Has anyone else added reinforcing??

mike
Old 01-21-2006, 09:53 PM
elan120

Hi Mike,

I have glassed the landing gear plywood block, and found that to be very helpful. I am using YS110 with stock engine mount, and so far with more than 50 flights, it shows no sign of wearing out. This is a very nice flying plane, and I am sure you will like it.

Kevin
Old 01-22-2006, 12:11 AM
CGRetired

After playing with the carb on my EVO 100, i am going to test fly it again tomorrow. Hopefully, the work I did on the carb will be worth while. It flys great, but I could only get the engine to run good between 1/2 and full throttle. Almost every landing is dead stick because the engine quit on approach all the damned time. We'll see tomorrow.

DS.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:56 AM
kennyandannie

Hey CG,

Has your fuel running problem been fixed?

I hope you get your low end figured out.

Good luck,

Ken
Old 01-22-2006, 02:31 PM
mikedsilva

is everyone else here also using the standard soft engine mount that came with the excelleron?

i used to have an excelleron 50, and i used the supplied mount to install an OS 91 4 stroke. The mount for the 50 is the same as the mount that came with the 90 kit.
However, i had problems with the muffler... the header broke twice and we figured it was due to the movement of the motor on that soft mount. The side to side movement eventually fatigued the header; kinda like bending a piece of wire back and forth till it broke...
I hard mounted the motor after that and never had another problem.

Has anyone else had problems?

mike
Old 01-22-2006, 06:04 PM
kennyandannie

I use the standard mount with a YS 120 FZ, no problems to date. When you soft mount your motor, you have to make sure you also soft mount the exhaust. The whole setup needs to move together.

Ken
Old 01-23-2006, 05:09 AM
mikedsilva

what if i dont brace the muffler at all?
i didnt mount the muffler, just let it hang off the motor as it would in a normal plane.
do you have a photo of how you soft-mounted your muffler?
cheers
mike
Old 01-23-2006, 05:47 AM
kennyandannie

It sounds like you used the stock exhaust. In that case you shouldn't need to use anything to hold the muffler.

I use a wrap around header and a KS cannister that is mounted in a pipe tunnel I made in the bottom of the wing. The same design as in an earlier thread by Bob Pastorello.

Ken
Old 02-21-2006, 12:07 PM
impalas

Hi elan 120. I am just finishing an excelleron 90 with new YS 110. I noticed a short pipe setup on your photos Could you tell me what pipe setup you are using, with what offset on the header?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:11 PM
CGRetired

Hi Ken.

As of now, I still am having problems with the engine. It won't start unless I start the thing with the engine upright (plane inverted) and allow it to warm up like that. Won't even sputter with it (the engine) upside down.

I got a regulator from Archie Stafford with Iron Bay Models. Archie says that the big problem is fuel flow and I tend to agree with that, however, the first regulator I got leaked so Archie is sending me a new one.

Of course, the weather here has been cold, with highs in the mid 30's through the weekend and all week. You get into a little loop there with those temps and a tempermental engine.. won't start unless it's right-side up, then warm up then turn it over and fly it.. but as soon as I take off, it cools down and won't run right till warm which it won't do because it's so cold out and the air over the engine cools it right down. Catch 22 here.

I am sort of resigned to wait for warmer weather, at least over 50 degrees F before I get to carried away with this. Frustrating as hell.

In the mean time, I am playing around with a S.P.A.D. and an OS-50 that has always been trustworthy.

Oh, to answer the question about the mount, I am using the stock Excelleron 90 flex mount. Learned to make damned sure that locktite is used all around, though...

DS.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:48 PM
elan120

impalas,

I am using the Hatori 726 header, and Hatori 725 pipe purchased from Central Hobbies. The header has only one model available, and no special offset is needed.

This set up is very quiet, and with the exhaust pointed at the bottom, it is easy to clean up the mess. Let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,

Kevin

ORIGINAL: impalas

Hi elan 120. I am just finishing an excelleron 90 with new YS 110. I noticed a short pipe setup on your photos Could you tell me what pipe setup you are using, with what offset on the header?