Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Excelleron 90 build in progress

Old 10-27-2005, 07:12 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excelleron 90 build in progress

Hi folks.

Well, I am about half way through the build process of my Excelleron 90. I chose the Evolution 100 engine. The engine is brand new, but I have put two tanks through it on the bench. It ran just fine upright and has lots of power. I used a 14-6 prop that turned just fine. Hope that was a good choice for power.. although I do have a used OS 91 sitting there as a backup.

A couple of questions for you all. First, any of you have any experience running the Evolution 100 with the inverted mounting? One friend, who has built a Quest II has that engine and is having a hell of a time getting it to start, then a hell of a time keeping it running once he gets it started.

Any suggestions before I get to that point? (tank position, fuel lines, or any info on the engine or suggestions to get it running correctly).

I am going to mount the horizontal stab tonite. I have the wing finished, it has the servo's mounted and connected to the ailerons. I also do have the engine in the fuselage, but it is a temporary installation as of this point and can be either removed in favor of the other engine or left as is, with minor positioning adjustments to account for the spinner flywheel and so on.

I am using Sullivan kevlar line for the pull pull system. As you probably know, it has pull pull for both the rudder and the elevator. This is my first pull-pull system of any kind so I am interested in any information you guys with all the experience can give me regarding the installation. The Excelleron has tubes already built in the fuselage for both apps (rudder and elevator) so it is only a matter of threading the line through these tubes then making the connections on both ends. The way it looks is all of the adjustment is done at the rear of the aircraft using those eye bolts that mount to the clevis's.

I've seen those round spool looking gadgets that go on top of the servo's. Are those the norm or can I stick with the standard type servo arms? I bought Dubro heavy duty servo arms, am using Airtronics 94731Z Servo Contest Air/Heli BB Z servo's for all but the throttle, by the way. My radio is an Airtronics RD8000.

I had seen aircraft in one of the forums that have the throttle servo in the engine compartment. I do have a heavy duty micro that I could put in there, but had problems with one of them in my Venus 40 and am reluctant to use one again. I am running 6 volt 5 cell NiCad RX system in both aircraft and am not sure if that harmed the micro servo or not. But nevertheless, I am seeking advice concerning the servo in the engine compartment vs. in the default servo tray.

Lastly, are there any common trim issues before I fly it? Amount of throw, initial position of the control surfaces, and so on?

Ok.. words of wisdom? Help? Advice? Cursing ?

DS.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:09 AM
GM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Excelleron 90 build in progress

My Excelleron is a little ahead of yours, but has not yet flown. I chose the YS110 both for it's power and ease of operation. I used the stock pull/pull system except I used MK horns since I had them available and I like the way they work. I have been multiply assured that the stock system works fine. I also used the Icepoint landing gear for more prop clearance and the Icepoint canopy for a longer sleeker look. I also used 4-40 hardware on the wings, just for my peace of mind as I suspect the standard wing hardware would work fine.
I still have to run the fuel lines to the midship mounted tank and install battery,switch, and receiver. It looks like its first flights will be next week.
Gordie
Old 10-27-2005, 08:54 AM
CGRetired

Hi Gordy.

Thanks for the reply.

So far, I am using stock hardware with the exception of the pull-pull system, which is sullivan coated kevlar instead of the metal wire system. As I said, probably paranoia on my part with multiple lengths of metal parallel with the antenna. But, as people have told me, it works just fine as is. I am still going to use the Sullivan system instead.

Interesting idea about the Icepoint canopy and front gear. I fully understand the prop clearance issue, as is, it is pretty 'low' and with the tail dragger setup, the tail is almost above the nose.. not so, but you know what I mean. I am not used to the fuselage being so straight and parallel with the ground like that, but it looks sleek.

Depending on the weather here in NJ, I may fly this weekend, but if not, I will push forward on the build. I would love to have it finished and maidened before the 'season closes' here in NJ. We have a few that set 50 degres F as their low limit for when not to fly. Personally, I will fly to about 40. Below that, it's damned cold behind that propwash and sitting on the flight line without moving anything but fingers and thumbs..ha.

I'll post more as I get more done.

DS.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:14 AM
elan120

I am also working on my Excelleron and it is about 90% done, but currently waiting for the YS 110 to become available again so I can use it to power this plane.

I changed the pull-pull on the elevator control horn take-off from stock to Dubro #878 (Tower Hobbies stock # LXKLV3), which helped to make the clevises lined up with hinge line.

In terms of throttle servo, I am using Hitec HS-55 micro servo, and placing it behind the firewall where the stock fuel tank should be located. The similar servo has been used in my other plane running 6V-5cell setup with good result, so this same setup is used on this plane as well.

About the landing gear, since the stock landing gear looks to have enough ground clearance for 15 inch propeller, so I am sticking with that for now.

Hopefully the engine will become available soon before the raining season arrives.

Kevin
Old 10-27-2005, 12:09 PM
CGRetired

I have a couple of packs of those clevis's and used them in place of the stock ones, on the ailerons.

As far as the elevator and rudder are concerned, I am going to see what it looks like after I get the vert/horiz fins installed then I will look at the control surfaces to see how to make those work with the Sullivan coated kevlar line.

From what I saw, if installed correctly, the stock links should work and keep alignment with the hinge line intact. But, again, I have not looked that closely to see how it is. Will probably do that this weekend, if the weather turns crappy.

DS.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Arthur_GA
My Feedback: (3)

I would suggest replacing the stock horns with heavy duty stuff such as Du-Bro. The horn on one of my ailerons failed in flight and the resulting flutter almost brought the plane down. The other aileron's horn was also beginning to fail, right at the screw's base where it meets the plastic.

Cheap insurance.

I replaced ALL the horns with Du-Bro the next day.

Art
Old 10-28-2005, 05:37 AM
CGRetired

Update.

I got the horizontal and vertical stabs glued in place, did that last night.

Next step is to install the control surfaces back there then get the pull-pull system installed, of course, with the servo's.

This project is moving along quicker than I imagined. Hey, maybe get it flying before Thanksgiving!! That would be nice. Then I can sit there and look at it until the winter goes away..ha.. oops.

DS.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:59 AM
GM1

I got all the plumbing in last night with fuel dots and check valve and installed the needle valve extension. I still have to open that cowl up for the exhaust header and muffler and install battery, switch, and receiver permanently. I then want to go over the entire model with an iron and make sure everything is down and seal the edges. I wonder what would be best to use for that?
Gordie
Old 10-28-2005, 06:21 AM
CGRetired

Gordy: Did you seal the hinge line like they say in the book? I didn't use the nylon pin hinges that came with the model, I used CA hinges instead. The gap is pretty small.

I've never used the fuel dots, just the standard tubing. Not sure exactly how they work, although I guess if I looked at it I could figure it out easy enough.

DS.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:37 AM
GM1

I did not seal the gaps as I also used CA hinges and the gap is small. If I need to, I can do it later (have done it before).
Fuel dots make it easy to "burp" a YS and not have fuel spraying all over if you forget to vent the tank before fueling. I have used them for years with good success and they have a nice clean appearance so the model looks nicer. I actually considered just reaching in the front and disconnecting fuel lines to fuel and defuel but I had the dots already so decided to just use them. I like the way it came out.
Gordie
Old 10-28-2005, 06:53 AM
CGRetired

Gordy: Do you have pictures?

DS.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:54 AM
GM1

Not yet and will be out of town this weekend (wedding AND a funeral, damn!). I'll take some pix early next week and send them to you if you want.
Gordie
Old 10-28-2005, 08:19 AM
CGRetired

Hi Gordy.

Yeah, that would be great. I will take some pix of mine too. Don't imagine that there will be much differences other than what we discussed, but it would be nice to see your plane.

I recently built and have been flying a Venus 40 with an OS 50. Great plane, although I don't have that many flights on it yet, between travel, weather, and so on, I have not been up in the air since, oh, the middle of September or so. But, hopefully, that will end this weekend. Weather looks like it will be nice here in the NE (NJ).

DS.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:16 AM
elan120

I used the CA hinges also, but since all my other plane have the gap sealed, so I decided to seal this one as well. I am trying out the tape hinge used in the fomies, and it goes on quite easy, but don't know how long it will last.

The only area I need to do on mine is the engine installation, which I am planning to use my YS 91AC as a reference, and change to 110 once it is available. Otherwise, it is ready to go.

Kevin
Old 10-28-2005, 10:22 AM
CGRetired

Keep us informed as to how the tape hinge material works on sealing the gap. I will probably seal the gap tonite with some white monocoat. I have a lot of it, can't do any harm.

Do you seal the gap for the rudder and elevator too? Just curious... not sure if the manual says to do that or not or if it is even useful to seal those gaps.

DS.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:26 AM
elan120

Once I have the plane in the air, I will report back if the tape hinge holds up.

Since the tape hinge goes on so easy, I sealed the gap on all control surfaces including the rudder and elevator. I used to seal the gap with monokote as well, but the tap hinge is a lot easier to do, I just hope it will hold up over time.

Kevin
Old 11-02-2005, 07:00 AM
GM1

I finished installing the cowling last night. It weighs about half as much as when I started since I put HUGE holes in it. I was forced to open the front of the cowl since the cylinder head of the YS 110 was forward of the design location to get the spinner clearance I wanted so I have a Vee notch in front that goes over the motor and back all the way to where I can insert the glow driver with no interference. I opened the back of the cowl where the manual shows slots since I had increased the open front area. I have a 45 degree elbow to the muffler so I had to grind a slot for the muffler to fit into. When I got finished about half the fiberglass was gone but it looks very nice.
The only job left is to check the CG, mount the radio gear permanently, and go over the whole model with an iron to be sure the edges are sealed down. The model built quickly, but it has taken FOREVER doing the little detail work at the end and trying to keep up with the lawn and shrubs and house stuff. Up north, I bet the grass has stopped growing and they have spare time to work on models (yeah, like stuff like that ever happens!) Looking for test flights this weekend or early next week.
Gordie
Old 11-02-2005, 10:49 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

I didn't use the nylon pin hinges that came with the model, I used CA hinges instead.

DS.
When I was building mine, I accedently pulled the aileron cable fish-line out. I tied one of those metal hinges to it to feed it back through. That is the ONLY thing I used those metal hinges for. Most people I know use the CA hinges.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 AM
GM1

I use the metal hinges as weights for my indoor micro stuff. Work well for that.
Gordie
Old 11-02-2005, 06:32 PM
elan120

The engine mount screws that came with my kit are self-taping wood screws, I wounder if I should consider replacing them with blind-nuts and regular screws?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:56 PM
GM1

I used through bolts and aircraft nuts. Wood screws would probably work but I KNOW the through bolts work.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:25 PM
CGRetired

I have these 6-32 self tapping-self starting stainless steel hex-head screws that I use on every engine I have mounted. They have a drill tip and will start through just about anything. I start with a pilot hole the size of the drill bit on the tip then add some CA, then pass the screw into the hole. This cuts a nice thread that is very tight. I add more CA after the hole is threaded to harden the threads in the wood or plastic, whatever, and it holds very nicely. The heads of the screws are 1/4 inch hex and I use a 1/4 inch nut driver on a power driver. Works great. I set the power driver for a torque setting so that the screwsd don't get to tight and all four are the same torque setting. Never had one ever get a bit loose.

I am making slow and steady progress. I carefully hinged the elevators tonite. Next will be the tail wheel, then that little piece of wood on the bottom of the tail, then the rudder. I will do that tomorrow evening.

After that.... it's pull-pull time.

DS.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:04 AM
GM1

I tried to upload some photos last night but had ZERO success. I guess I am ignorant of the proper procedure. Anyway, I have photos of the whole model with Icepoint canopy and LG, the cowl cut for YS 110, the over the wing fuel tank installation and the pull/pull bottom of fuse if anyone wants to see them. PM me your email address and I'll forward them to you.
Gordie
Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 AM
GM1

It has flown, see other thread.
Gordie
Old 11-07-2005, 08:36 AM
CGRetired

I read it.. and congratulations!!

DS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.