Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pipe For OS 1.6FX

I am looking for a more suitable pipe for my OS 1.6FX and VP30 on an 11 pound IMAC and 3D plane (UL Giles). I was planning to run the OMP sport pipe, but that is too loud and I have come to realize that the performance gains that are claimed are not realistic. I am posting this here because you guys know the motor and the pipes better than anyone else.

Here is my OMP pipe test on the Giles thread for reference: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3546887

I am after only a modest boost in power loading the motor @~ 8000-8500rpm. (I am thinking a 19 x7 prop) I fly IMAC sequence much slower than pattern planes so 7 pitch at 8000RPM is fast enough for me & I am thinking want the 19" dia to help slow in down lines.

1) If possible, I would like the pipe to be light (current pipe is 4oz)

2) Have some sort of baffle or muffle system so it is not real loud at low rpm (need to pass IMAC and club sound levels)

3) Aluminum is preferred for durability as I can see the stinger getting hit every once and a while.(angled stinger is preferred)

4) Want the pipe not to contribute to any low, mid or spool problems as I will be flying some Freestlye or 3D with this plane as well.

5) Would like to use my current Macs standard header if possible--still full length at 10"

6) A shorter pipe would be preferred, but not sure if this is possible with the 1.6FX @ 8,000rpm

Thanks guys. Don't be afraid to tell me I am going in the wrong direction here as I am learning as I go.

Good Flying to you!
    See Blog for RCU Video\'s

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Pipe For OS 1.6FX

I know that the aeroslave pipe is very light and provides great top end power and a reliable idle, i have heard it it smooth through the transition but not as smooth and as an es pipe. good luck, and if you keep your plane under 11 lbs, come fly some pattern also !!

Chuck H
    Mark Hunt Designs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can confirm that the Aeroslave pipe is very good with the OS 160 in pattern applications.
    The top revs you mention(8--8-1/2K) are what we get with pattern props(APC17*12,15.5*12 4blade,Engel 18*11carbon),with a good transition.
    Not quite as quiet as the Greve Ali. pipe, but more top end and a faster spool up.
    I think your problem might arise in selecting a3D prop to load the motor to the top revs you want.
    An alternative approach might be to check out what Weston UK have in the way of mini, "torque" pipes.
    I don't have personal experience of them in this size of motor, but they have a big range, and they certainly work well in the smaller sizes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

May be Bolly carbon mufler will be a good choice....

See at ebay, last I saw was at $30 (new) or you can get one used

Good luck
    - Roberto

Really honey, guys at RC Universe say this is better....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: f3a05
    I can confirm that the Aeroslave pipe is very good with the OS 160 in pattern applications.
    The top revs you mention(8--8-1/2K) are what we get with pattern props(APC17*12,15.5*12 4blade,Engel 18*11carbon),with a good transition.
    Not quite as quiet as the Greve Ali. pipe, but more top end and a faster spool up.
    I think your problem might arise in selecting a3D prop to load the motor to the top revs you want.

An alternative approach might be to check out what Weston UK have in the way of mini, "torque" pipes.
    I don't have personal experience of them in this size of motor, but they have a big range, and they certainly work well in the smaller sizes.
    I like a faster spool, that usually means that the mixture is correct throughout the range.

For a 3D prop I am looking at a 19x7. I can go with a 19 x8, or 20 x6 or 7 if I need to as well. I don't think there will be any problem loading the motor where I want to? Am I missing something here?

I did look around for more of a tuned power pipe, but did not find anything larger than a .91 size. Jett makes an in cowl muffler that is supposed to give a mild boost at around 8000, but some people have been having problems with the 1.6FX and that muffler.

Another option is a tuned KS can, but that weighs 7oz plus header so 10.5oz, I think.

Thanks for your help guys. I will follow all leads.

Good Flying to you!
    See Blog for RCU Video\'s

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A Macs 1092 or an available clone of it does the trick nicely on the OS 1.60. Not the lightest solution, but inexpensive and effective.
    Ed Alt
    Tech-Aero Designs LLC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Quote:
    "For a 3D prop I am looking at a 19x7. I can go with a 19 x8, or 20 x6 or 7 if I need to as well. I don't think there will be any problem loading the motor where I want to? Am I missing something here? "

The sort of thing I meant was : Ground clearance with bigger diameters. Expense---I always seem to end up with a nice collection of three or four pristine unsuitable props and a couple of chipped tipped and scratched good ones!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll second this combo. Been flying it for about 4 years on and off in an original 12 pounder. The FX is well behaved with the 1092 behind it and gets a nice boost from it. You'll have to set the pipe adequately short to cure the midrange leaning but with the perry pump it may not be too much of an issue. I'm not using a pump in mine--just pipe pressure and a feeder tank up front. Pipe is approximately 5 1/2ozs. The full length header will probably need cutting because you are looking for a distance of 24 1/2" from the glow plug to the first full baffle, straight line. Good luck

MattK
    ORIGINAL: NJRCFLYER2

A Macs 1092 or an available clone of it does the trick nicely on the OS 1.60. Not the lightest solution, but inexpensive and effective.
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)