Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Best indoor foamy for F3A practice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Best indoor foamy for F3A practice

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:08 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Best indoor foamy for F3A practice

ORIGINAL: 3Don
Futurion F3AI version. Have about 25 flights with it for the moment, plane fly really well. F3P shedule looks like no problem for plane, just need bigger gym and more practice.
Some plane spec's:
Fuselage: 92cm
Wings: 82cm
RTF weight: 158g (with E-tec 2cell 450mah pack)
The Futurion looks really neat! Is there more information available about it? plans? sketches? articles? ... kits?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:06 PM
pkruse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any EPP practice planes worth considering?

Paul
Old 01-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Adamg-RCU

The SX3 listed here:
http://parts.rctoys.com/rc-toys-hobbies/RC%20Airplanes/
Old 02-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Nickolas

Hi,

Do you think that the CZ Topmodel Quasar will be ok for indoor? I have seen it in videos flying outdoor and does fly very slowly. I currently fly an Ikarus Shockflier F3A (AXI 2204/54, 3 servos), it is around 8oz, Quasar will come hopefully around 9.5oz (AXI 2208/34, 4 servos) but its total wing area is nearly double compared to the Ikarus Shocky. The model is intended mainly for outdoor flying but I would like to try indoor as well.

I'm not going to participate in indoor F3A-P but do you think it will be capable of a descent freestyle routine in a basketball court?

Looking forward to replies,

Nick
Old 02-13-2006, 06:49 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NIck what size lipo are you using in the F3A? Thanks, Mike
Old 02-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Nickolas

Hi Mike,

I use two setups one for indoor and one for outdoor.

- Indoor: KOKAM 3s 11.1v 340mAh and 2s 7.4v 640mAh, prop:APC SF 9x3.8 with 2s
- Outdoor: KOKAM 3s 11.1v 640 mAh, prop:APC SF 8x3.8

8 oz weight I'm reffering to is with outdoor setup

In the indoor event I participated I flew with the 3s 11.1v 640mAh, I have better authority in hover, torque rolls etc. with this pack but the plane flies a bit faster. I could perform rolling maneures easily indoor with this setup such as rolling harriers etc. but in some circumstances I became rather stressed due to the extra weight...[:@]

Back to the Quasar biplane I have actually ordered the model and plan to use the following setup:

- AXI 2208/34 with Jeti Advance Plus 8A ESC
- KOKAM 3s 640mAh and Thunder Power 3s 730mAh (less weight than KOKAM)
- 4xFutaba 3108 micro servos
- Jeti 5ch Rx with MPD
- APC SF 9x3.8

I'm pretty sure that the plane will perform well outdoor under calm conditions, but I don't know about indoor. What are your opinions? Will I be able to perform some basic pattern or freestyle in the baskeball court you think? The expected weight may seem high but the plane is more draggy and has nearly double wing area compared to the F3A, so I guess it will be rather slow.

Looking forward to your comments or input.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52706.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	407640  
Old 02-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Adamg-RCU

I crashed my Quasar too soon to know how good it was (because I used garbage Blue Arrow 4.3g servos), but I did figure out that the Quasar is an EXTREMELY draggy airplane. Usually one thinks to put a 20-30g motor in an indoor bipe, but that motor in a Quasar won't have much power outdoors.

-Adam, with an Aito sitting beside him, waiting for a lucky warm calm winter day to test fly
Old 02-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Nickolas

I would agree that a motor such as the AXI 2204/54 may be small for the Quasar.

Yes I've read about this Aito biplane, it seems to be one of those RC products that are intended for experts and not for mass consumption.... I'm not an indoor F3A-P pilot so I looked at more commercial options...The other option I had was BPLR Evolution but it was not available. This should be better for indoor but too light for outdoor like the light versions of Ikarus shockfliers.

Any other opinions on the Quasar?

Thanks ,

Nick

Old 02-16-2006, 12:35 AM
captain_castor

wow! great thread. A buddy and I just got back from E-fest in Champaign Illinois last weekend and we saw some incredible new stuff there. We have been into indoor aerobatics and foamies since "the beginning" and we are just now looking into breaking into the 6 oz super lightly loaded planes. We design and build our own, and usually shoot for 3 to 3.5 oz/sqft. We saw several 5 to 6 oz shockies and a few Nikitis Animals also at 6 oz. We were amazed at how much lighter (and better) they flew. I am now in the process of building the Icarus Shock Flier F3A. I plan on using the new Eflite park 300, a Thunderpower 2s or 3s 480mah pack, a gws dd 7x4 prop, (3) bluebird 303 servos, a castle creations berg microstamp reciever, and a castle creations pheonix 10 lite esc. I hope to come in at or around 6 oz with a basically stock airframe. If its heavy, I will rebuild the airframe from 3mm and push for 5 oz. I know its possible because Devon McGrath has done it. He had a stock f3a shocky and used strings instead of the supplied carbon for support. Awesome plane, awesome pilot. Jason Noll flew a new biplane design to victory in the "estyle" contest. See pic. It has a wingspan of around 40" and an auw of around 6-7 oz. Very similar to the aito.

Name:	Ie97870.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	409139  
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2006, 05:41 AM
riot3d

Captain Castor,

Does the fins on the wings on your Shock Flyer improve knife edge flights, is it worthwhile to retrofit a set?

Also, are there any fins on the bottom of the wings too?

I am using an Axi 2208/34, APC 10 x 4.7 on mine with great results.

Adrian
Old 02-17-2006, 12:14 AM
captain_castor

sorry, the shocky f3a in the pic isnt mine. That one belongs to Devin McGrath. I dont believe he added the fins for side force generators...he uses tons of monofiliment string to stiffen his planes, and I think the fins are there to triangulate stings to the wing tips. His plane does knife egde very slowly, but I think it as more to do with the fact that it is 5.5 oz ready to fly.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Mato

I would love to see a video of that F3A Shockie!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:58 AM
tmark65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello guys, Hi Niko

I see very interested people about indoor foamies.

It's a thrill the whole story, I guess you know it.

I scratch built a foamy Ultimate through RCM(France) plans issued on March 04.

It flies GREAT . there are no words to testify what this little cheapy thing can perform.

I use almost the same setup as Nikos regarding the power pack.

I use a ThunderPower 3s 730mah, Castle Creations Phoenix 10 ESC, 3 servos 8grms and a chinese(cheap) outrunner capable of close to 500grms thrust. Total weight 210 grms.
The fuselage is 6mm Depron and wings 3mm. Stabilator, Elevators Fin and Rudder 6mm. The wings are reinfroced by 3mm flat carbons on th LE. Fuselage reinforced with 3x1 mm balsa spars on both sides. Push Pull rods 2mm and landing struts 3mm. Prop and wheels typical GWS parkfly. Total cost approximately 20 Euros (+5 Euro for the plans copy).

I also fly Icarus RC Shockfly but the scratch built was the challenge !

I hope you like it !!!!

My next project is going to be a 3D Batix model, www.3dbatix.com/plans (freeplans) !!!!

Nice landings

Name:	Oj27755.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	433871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42262.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	433872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37996.jpg
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	433873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23463.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	433874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm84964.jpg
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	433875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Km97976.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	433876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv75470.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	433877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db55014.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	433878  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx11120.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	433879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt83705.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	433880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29125.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	433881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90874.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	433882  
Old 03-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Nickolas

Hi again! Geia soy Taso,

This Ultimate biplane is quite light it should perform well indoor, well done!! I see some people from the past there, some well known Greek pattern fliers...

With regards to Quasar I first flew it indoor last Sunday. Total weight with Thunder Power LiPo 3s 730 around 315gr, AXI 2208/34 with APC SF 9x3.8 gives a static thrust of around 550gr.

I did not perform any pattern with the plane, I just flew it around to get used to it. The plane exhibits some coupling in knife edge but did not bother to correct it with mixing. Also in High Alpha there's some wing rocking. Pitch coupling towards the deck is normal with this plane as it has a positive wing incidence for both wings. It is a nice plane BUT definatelly not for indoor F3A-P, it makes your rather stressed in the downlines as it is heavy. I will try to perform the indoor F3A-P schedule outdoor though.

Here is a brief video of the first indoor flight, nothing special, just to get used to its characteristics.

http://www.aeromodelling.gr/album/al..._the_movie.wmv

Also a photo in knife edge, there are some other videos flying very low high alpha knife edge that I''l try to post.

Regards,

Nikos

Name:	Qo40163.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	434132  
Old 03-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Devin McGrath

ORIGINAL: captain_castor

wow! great thread. A buddy and I just got back from E-fest in Champaign Illinois last weekend and we saw some incredible new stuff there. We have been into indoor aerobatics and foamies since "the beginning" and we are just now looking into breaking into the 6 oz super lightly loaded planes. We design and build our own, and usually shoot for 3 to 3.5 oz/sqft. We saw several 5 to 6 oz shockies and a few Nikitis Animals also at 6 oz. We were amazed at how much lighter (and better) they flew. I am now in the process of building the Icarus Shock Flier F3A. I plan on using the new Eflite park 300, a Thunderpower 2s or 3s 480mah pack, a gws dd 7x4 prop, (3) bluebird 303 servos, a castle creations berg microstamp reciever, and a castle creations pheonix 10 lite esc. I hope to come in at or around 6 oz with a basically stock airframe. If its heavy, I will rebuild the airframe from 3mm and push for 5 oz. I know its possible because Devon McGrath has done it. He had a stock f3a shocky and used strings instead of the supplied carbon for support. Awesome plane, awesome pilot. Jason Noll flew a new biplane design to victory in the "estyle" contest. See pic. It has a wingspan of around 40" and an auw of around 6-7 oz. Very similar to the aito.

Hi guys that was my Nikitis Animal and F3A Shockflyer with mid wing counterbalances that you saw at E-fest The F3A was interesting it came in at 5.6 ounces with a Kokam 2 cell 340 AXI 2204/54 3 Futaba 3110 servos (cut down) FMA M5 v2 . The counterbalances added some weight because of the extra carbon fiber that I used to make the wing stiffer. The major benefit to this plane is that it rolled very axial and it got allot of attention because it looked really cool. For more information on that plane go to www.devinrocks.com That F3A has sense been retired and I will build another one when I get the time (it took allot of time to build). Sense then I have built A new F3A that is even lighter 5.1 ounces. In this one I am using the same set up except I am using a 2 Cell PolyQuest 300mah pack that only weights 18 grams compared to the Kokam and TP packs which both weight right around 24 grams. I could put lighter wire on the PolyQuest pack and get to 17 grams like I did with the Kokam 340 to get it to 23 grams. I did everything I could to get it as light as possible and now that it’s finished this thing floats around like a feather. The next one should be under 4.5 ounces using a different set up. Hopefully I will have the new one ready before the ETOC.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Nickolas

Hi guys,

Here is the best indoor video I've seen so far, this setup (plane&thumbs) is awesome! I have seen all videos from ETOC 04/05, Carvin, GP Efest,etc. no comparison with this Lithuanian guy IMO. He really rocks!!!

Just remember his name (Donatas) and his plane (Futurion 4D) at this year's ETOC.

http://www.docinsane.be/movies/DONATASPAUZUOLISF3AM.wmv

Regards,

Nick

Old 03-28-2006, 05:04 PM
riot3d

Sorry guys, a couple of dumb questions.

I am using an Axi 2208/34 on my F3A Shock Flyer, can anyone enlighten me on how to interpret those numbers? Are those numbers universal on all outrunners, what about on the geared brushless? In addition, how to determine what motor to use, by the weight of the plane?

Thank you in advance,

Adrian
Old 04-04-2006, 07:21 AM
3Don

ORIGINAL: Nickolas

Hi guys,

Here is the best indoor video I've seen so far, this setup (plane&thumbs) is awesome! I have seen all videos from ETOC 04/05, Carvin, GP Efest,etc. no comparison with this Lithuanian guy IMO. He really rocks!!!

Just remember his name (Donatas) and his plane (Futurion 4D) at this year's ETOC.

http://www.docinsane.be/movies/DONATASPAUZUOLISF3AM.wmv

Regards,

Nick
Thanks for compliments Nick! I will not compete this year in ETOC, i did not get visa...stupid visa politics and bureaucrat did job well... Now i concentrate on glow/gas planes again, but i will not forget electric flying to. I have some new projects with VPP coming this summer, soon you will se some new movies on Docinsane.com, Flyinggiants.com Rcmania.cz and some other websites. By the way here is one more movie with Futurion from Aalst Benoit, Maartin and me testing Tuturion after competition:
http://www.docinsane.be/movies/DONBENOITMAARTEN.wmv

Donatas,
Old 04-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Nickolas

Ηι Donatas!!

The fact you are not going to participate is a pitty for everyone, [] you would give a very good show there. I have downloaded this video also. You know when we first watched your freestyle video at the 3D College a friend of mine commented: "If those superstars who fly at the ETOC see that guy they are going to burst into tears..." That's a joke of course...

I believe that both you and the Dutch guy Van DerVecht if not mistaken would have good chances for a position at the ETOC your videos and skills guys are awesome!! Ηe came second at the German Indoor F3A-P champs, that says everything...

Keep on flying!!

Nick

Old 04-06-2006, 06:30 AM
David Kyjovsky

Videos from the German Indoor Championships, full of "best indoor foamys for F3A practice" to stay close to the subject of this thread , are to be seen [link=http://www.rcmania.cz/modules.php?name=Video]here on the RC Mania website.[/link]

Enjoy!

David

ps - I agree that it is a pity, not having Donatas at the ETOC. Hopefully next year...
Old 04-14-2007, 05:33 PM
spike1105

does anyoneknow were i could get free plans 4 a knuffel (not sure on how 2 spell it) this would be my first electirc (i fly an extra 300s glow 40.) are these easy to fly?

wot do you recomend 4 a foamie, i need the plans for free!
Old 12-30-2007, 03:00 AM
derekandjennys

For a decent F3P plane for free do a search for Chanute F3P. I have not flown it yet but it should do well.

After my embarrasing display at Ihobby, I have been busy building and designing. I threw together an old Shock Extra, modified quite a bit, that came in at 4.2oz. and am working on a new Freestyle plane that is going to be great. For F3P the Clik looks pretty nice and have been wanting one of Jasons Vrolets for quite some time.

Derek
Old 01-08-2008, 09:03 AM
foxfoto

Just wondering if anyone has built one of the Aito's. I am in the process of constructing one and this is both my first foamie as well as my first electric. Construction manual leaves a lot to be desired and there is no info in it whatsoever for placement of the electronics. If anyone has some ideas on where I might find some decent instructions on how and where to install the receiver, speed controller and other items it would be appreciated....

Thanks!

Charlie

ORIGINAL: Erik Johansson

Most top pilots in Europe use full fuse bipes, wingspan around 35" and around 450-500 sq inches, weighing around 6oz. That´s what´s needed to perform the new F3P Expert class turnaround program in the best possible way. The Evolution was popular last year, but there are some new planes around. The Aito from www.donuts-models.com was by far the most popular plane a few weeks ago in Carvin France at the most prestigous F3P competition there currently is. Almost half of the competiors flew it.

Lots of Aitos at another French indoor competition!

Picture borrowed from http://www.donuts-models.com

/Erik