Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Old 2 stroke pattern fun

Old 11-22-2002, 06:29 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old 2 stroke pattern fun

Correct, only side exhaust allowed. Still there are some hot side exhaust engines out there.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:34 PM
Rcpilot32-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default curare

If you guys are flying a curare as a TG do you make your stab straight or leave it with the anahedral?
Old 11-22-2002, 06:36 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Sport_Pilot
Correct, only side exhaust allowed. Still there are some hot side exhaust engines out there.
I still have my YS 60 side exhuast. Too bad they don't run as well on a muffler as they do on a pipe

John
Old 11-22-2002, 06:52 PM
Sport_Pilot

Not sure the YS would be legal either. They have a problem with pumped engines also. Unless it does not have an oversized carb. Problem is whats oversized?
Old 11-22-2002, 06:54 PM
Sport_Pilot

Guess you could put two tail wheels on the stab tips, and call it a Tippytail.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:55 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

The YS is legal, the FIRE is not.

When I was talking about the FIRE I wasn't too worried about SPA rules =P I'm still not. However the side exhaust version of that engine is just as powerful, just more drag =/

-M
Old 11-22-2002, 10:24 PM
sean mercer
My Feedback: (2)

Default summit 60

hey guys,I found me an original summit 60(the first design). I'm building it now. Does anyone remember how it flys. I'm putting a hanno in it for power.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:23 AM
prophecypilot
My Feedback: (19)

ON RAILS!!!
Old 11-23-2002, 05:02 AM
PilotFrog

The anhedreal is necessary in the Curare for aerodynamic balance....just use a taller tailwheel strut for ground clearance.

Mike,
I had an old Skyglass Curare back in the 80s and it had a fairly thin airfoil....it was fast and landed fast....heavy too. Thats why Hanno put the flaps/airbrake...to slow that puppy down in the downlines and help with landing. Perhaps the MAN plan was revised to make the plane float better at the expense of a little speed. This is probably a good thing because mine was a handfull at low throttle....no bad stall tendency but came in hot....but boy
could it penetrate the wind.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:19 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Originally posted by PilotFrog
The anhedreal is necessary in the Curare for aerodynamic balance....just use a taller tailwheel strut for ground clearance.
Lower the stab 3/4" and you will be able to build it flat, without anhedreal. This is all Dick Hanson did to the Tipo+ besides using a thinner airfoil.

John
Old 11-25-2002, 03:08 PM
Rcpilot32-RCU

Would that be legal though? I mean lowering the stab and building it straight.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:25 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

I would imagine that simple modification like that would be allowed. You're not changing the way the model flies. Check the rules, but I'm sure you could argue that someone, somewhere, flattened their stab just as someone, somewhere, coverted to a tail dragger.

John
Old 11-25-2002, 03:29 PM
Rcpilot32-RCU

JWN, where in tarnation is Florence? I'm in Lake Mcqueeney near New Braunfels, Seguin, San Marcos.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:31 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Hehe, it's a small town with a population of about 1200

Half way between Georgetown and Killeen on Hwy 195. We have one traffic light. I actually live about 4 miles outside of Florence.

John
Old 11-25-2002, 03:46 PM
Rcpilot32-RCU

Yes, I found it on the map. Yup, you are right it is a small town. Just wondering, do you guys up there fly pattern? I sure would like to get some pointers. The guys around my area just don't fly pattern at all. Thanks and have a great day.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:09 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

I haven't flown in several years. When I stopped flying, there was only one person in the club who flew pattern besides myself and neither of us went to contests. He wasn't interested in contests, just loved the planes. I got burned out from the weekend long traveling back in the early 90's, though I too still love the planes. I was at the field about a month ago and one of the club officers said told me no one was flying it anymore. They used to hold an annual pattern meet, but I do not know if that continues or not. The facilities are there, but I doubt there are any regular flyer's who would be up to the task. Your best bet would be to contact one of the club officers, listed through the club directory on AMA's site, and see what's available.

Have you checked out San Antonio? There used to be several people down there who flew pattern. Another idea, though it's even further than Austin, is Waco. Look up Todd Blose (sp?) and see if he's still flying pattern. His father, Max, owns B&P Associates. They make battery packs and a kit or two for R/C. Last time I talked with them, Todd was flying the FAI schedule and was very good.

John
Old 11-25-2002, 05:35 PM
Rcpilot32-RCU

Thanks for the insight. I'll check it out. Have a great day.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:35 PM
spbyrum

Current SPA rules allow a +/- 3% deviation from original plans. The airfoil could be thinned, but I don't think it would make much difference. My fuse was wood, so I just made the ventral fin from hard wood and mounted a tail wheel bracket. An interesting thing happened. With the first plane, there seemed to be an area as the tail came up or settled in where directional control was an issue. I started with fairly narrow main gear mounted to the fuse and swept back under the wing. It handled like a squirrel on speed. I eventually went to music wire out in the wing. I still had to hold the tail down during take off. The best I ever did was, unfortunately, not ended with a landing.

Pumped engines are OK in SPA. VP Tom Atkins has used a YS61 the last two years. The 63 would not be allowed because of the super charging. There is no prohibition against rear exhaust, just pipes. Tom, incidentally, used a dynathrust muffler.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:34 PM
Rcpilot32-RCU

I was just wondering what is the most popular SPA pattern ship used today? I'm giving it a serious consideration for next year. Thanks and gave a great day.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:52 PM
spbyrum

Originally posted by Rcpilot32
I was just wondering what is the most popular SPA pattern ship used today? I'm giving it a serious consideration for next year. Thanks and gave a great day.
Joel

The current split is pretty even between Daddy Rabbits (Zimpro Marketing) and the A-6 Intruder (World Models). The A-6 is an ARF. It's a bit larger than the original, but was deemed legal when introduced about 4 years ago. It's a cheap, quick way to get in the air with competitive equipment. If you use a 4-stroke, you need to plan on about 4 oz under the vertical fin before glueing it on to achieve proper balance. This is an excellent rolling plane. The Daddy Rabbit tracks well and loops a bit better than the Intruder while giving up just a little on rolling stuff.

There are also a number of versions of the Kaos. A few compensators. In addition to my Curare, I've flown an Atlas. There is also a glass and foam kit of the T2A which is a very nice piece of work.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:41 PM
Rcpilot32-RCU

Where would you find the curares, atlas, etc.? I'm I asking a silly question? Thanks for the info.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:21 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Default Ebay

I often see older pattern planes and kits being sold on Ebay. Sometimes some pretty obscure planes are sold. I saw a Steve Helms Bootlegger recently and I almost bought it.I also saw a Bob Smith Patricia. That was a sweet machine in the 70's. Look there under pattern and you might find a diamond in the rough. Look at this web address to find your treasure.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...m=R2&catref=C3
Mike
Old 11-26-2002, 10:11 PM
spbyrum

Originally posted by Rcpilot32
Where would you find the curares, atlas, etc.? I'm I asking a silly question? Thanks for the info.
Both the Curares and the Atlas came from Model Airplane News plans. The cores came from Dynamic Balsa, but they don't list them any more. Pyramid Hobbies lists MK plans and cores for both.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:15 AM
gltruett
My Feedback: (23)

Anyone interested in T2A, Patricia or Original Kirkland A-6 glass and foam kits may e-mail me directly at [email protected]

George
Old 11-27-2002, 07:47 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

MAN also published plans for the Super Sicroly, Arrow, Deception, Mach One, Eyeball, Compensator... THere are lots of places that can cut cores for you - just send them the plans.
MK still kits the Curare and the Blue Angel .60. You can get them from Singapore hobbies for about $250 each, shipped.
(www.singahobby.com - I think).
-Will B.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.