Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Tune pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Brian Roth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tune pipes

Tune pipes. I am getting ready to start a 94" wing span pattern plane. Its the biggest for me so far. I need a 30" tune pipe for the design. Do They make a 30" pipe? Or do I have to make one myself. And if so does anyone know the basic design for one. As far as what is inside for baffles or something else.
Thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:50 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tune pipes

Macs makes pipes for big engines.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Brian Roth

Ive been going around some of my local hobby shops, and talking about tune pipes. They are all saying that tune pipes are only good at high rpms. And they are unstable in low to mid range. But they all said that they have not had any experience with them, just what they have heard from people. And it has been a long time since they have heard anything about tune pipes. My question is, are there better tune pipes out there now, and that can run your engine well in all rpms. I need to know if I should use a tune pipe or a standard muffler. The design of the fuse depends on it. Any info would help. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:04 AM
Brian Roth

Also, what gas engine is equal to a 1.60 nitro? And is gas better?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:18 AM
RaceCity

Brian,

based on your questions...I'd suggest you determine which engine you want to use in your model, and then find out which engine/pipe combinations are being used successfully by others.

Tuned (not "tune") pipes are very simple arrangements that are extraordinarily complex in function.

Once again, pick an engine and choose the pipe others find to work well. Beyond that, your experience plays a key role in good success with pipes. Once you start changing stuff...all bets are off and only God can help you then.

Good Luck.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:25 AM
lems
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with Ed Skopera (sp?) at ES Composites. I think he makes custom carbon pipes in addition to his standard pipes. These pipes are beautiful construction and very light.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:15 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, Brian, the 94" span airplane you're talking about is not a pattern plane in the strictest sense. FAI and AMA pattern competition limits wingspan and length to two meters-about 78".
Do you mean IMAC?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Brian Roth

I am not into or hip to any specific lengths or wingspans that are set by some organization, nor do I care. I have just blown up a pattern plane to 94 inches. I like them big. But thank you for the detailed info Grotto2.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Brian Roth

Thank you Lems. That is very helpfull.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:29 PM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe Ed S. (ES pipes) makes a C.F. pipe for the ZDZ 40 (rear exhaust)?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:49 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

In Response to Brian Roth,

A tuned pipe will work at what ever RPM you "tune" it to. That is why tuned pipes are so darn picky with prop size, nitro content, header length (probably most important) and the such. Stock pipes, aftermarket non tuned pipes all kind of give you good all around performance. I suppose you are trying to get a pipe that literally fits in your airplane. Might I suggest that you get a tuned pipe that gives you performance in the rpm range you want.

I am only a scale flyer and don't fly pattern planes, so I can not say what rpm range you will need. From the pattern flyer I have seen, boy they are smooth solid flyers. It seems that one would want strong power in all rpm ranges.

The only tuned pipes I have messed with was on an OS 61 fx on a P-40 warhawk, darn it was fast, but I put a glow plug in EVERY flight, just after every single deadstick, which happened to be every flight!

I am now putting a tuned pipe on an os 91 fx to finally get my turbine waiver, so I'll learn more from this experience!

Raf