Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Venus II

Old 12-02-2012, 12:45 PM
johncoulouris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Venus II

What flight times do you get with the rimfire and the 6s 5000mah? Does anyone knows how the electric venus flys compared to the sebart angel 50 ? Is the venus more stable because of of its size?
thanks
john
Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Jlitz

I was getting 4 and a half min before the Rimfire took a crap so now I am looking for a new motor. it really helps to lighten it up a bit. I also replaced the landing gear with carbon ones. I found a set on eBay that worked great also .
Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 AM
tele1974

Anyone familiar with Byran Hebert triangulation trimming? [link=http://Triangulation trimming guide]http://www.hebertcompetitiondesigns.com/Trimming.aspx?ID=11[/link]

I definitely see the value of adding positive wing incidence to the main wing. I added 0.75 degrees to the main wing of my IMAC plane and it reduced my elevator trim to zero and improved and almost eliminated the need for a downline mix.

So I am wondering if anyone has added any positive wing incidence to the Venus. It would be super easy to do. Just build up the posterior portion of the wing seat. I haven't measure it yet but I was sure the Venus had some positive incidence in the wing. But I found this information from Hobbico.

For the Venus II ARF, the wing and stab incidences are zero. The engine is down one degree and right 3.5 degrees.
Don't know how this got left out, but it will be added to the Tech notes.

Thanks.

Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
Service Phone: 217 398-0007
Email: [email protected]

Old 03-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Corwin38
My Feedback: (2)

Does anyone know where I might find a carbon fiber landing gear for this plane? Thanks!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 PM
tele1974

A carbon fiber gear is a great idea. I could use less nose weight.

I have a question. After reading triangulation trimming and talking with Bryan Hebert I am convinced that the Venus would benefit an increase in positive wing incidence on the main wing. My question is, "How should I do it?"
All it needs is 3/32s on the trailing edge and that would get the wing at the .75 positive reccommended. Problem is the wing is supported along its entire chord by the fuse. Any suggestions would be great help.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: tele1974

A carbon fiber gear is a great idea. I could use less nose weight.

I have a question. After reading triangulation trimming and talking with Bryan Hebert I am convinced that the Venus would benefit an increase in positive wing incidence on the main wing. My question is, ''How should I do it?''
All it needs is 3/32s on the trailing edge and that would get the wing at the .75 positive reccommended. Problem is the wing is supported along its entire chord by the fuse. Any suggestions would be great help.
Quick and dirty is a 3/32 shim at the aft end of the wing saddle. Probably a good place to start until you try it and are sure how much you want. You can glue it in place and fill the gap with wing saddle foam.

For a more detailed approach I would look at [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11196865/mpage_6/key_/tm.htm#]this, posts 150-152[/link] and do something similar.

I think I glued a piece of a popsicle stick under the aft edge of the wing saddle. It was my third airplane and I was not yet at the stage of taking the time to do things like I am doing now, which is inspired by threads similar to what's linked above.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:13 PM
tele1974

That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. But I didn't know what material I was going to use. I thought I would try silicone in the gap. I'm glad I asked. Where can I find, "Wing saddle foam?"
That is a great idea.

Thank you very much!
Patrick
Old 04-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Jetdesign

Hobby shops. Lots of people make it. Great Planes has it in several thicknesses - 1/16", 1/8", etc. Tower sells it. You might need to get two sizes as you are going from 3/32" to ~0. Not sure if the 1/8" would compress enough.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Patrick, your silicone idea might be the best, considering the Venus is a glow airplane. I used the foam tape a lot in the past and never found one that stood up to glow exhaust.
In case you haven't done it, you tape wax paper to the top of the wing, squeeze a bead of silicone onto the seating area on the fuse (with your shims in place), mount the wing, clean up the squeeze-out and walk away for a day or two.
You can still peel it off if you decide to change the incidence.

Scott
Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 PM
tele1974

Hey Scott!
I have a Syssa 30cc gas engine in my Venus actually. I found the foam wing saddle tape. I totally thought you were referring to an expanding product of some sort.

The area of the belly pan fore and aft is going to require alot of fill if the wing is going seat fully secure. It's sitting on the bench now shimmed and ready for something. Think I sit and stare at it a while longer.

Is their a certain silicone that will work best? Exterior white from the depot maybe.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Jetdesign

Hey Scott!
I have a Syssa 30cc gas engine in my Venus actually. I found the foam wing saddle tape. I totally thought you were referring to an expanding product of some sort.

The area of the belly pan fore and aft is going to require alot of fill if the wing is going seat fully secure. It's sitting on the bench now shimmed and ready for something. Think I sit and stare at it a while longer.

Is their a certain silicone that will work best? Exterior white from the depot maybe.
I would try something from the auto parts store.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:15 AM
cmoulder

Hey Scott!

A couple of times in the past I have used the clear silicone stuff from GE. Just laid a big bead in the wing saddle and reinstalled the wing with the wing saddle aread of the wing covered in Saran Wrap.

Of course when you're finished the belly pan is going to be have to modified to get it back in line with the fuse belly, but looking at your awesome refurb of the model I don't think you'll have any problem with that!

Per Joe's suggestion, the good thing about something like Bondo is that it cures very quickly and is sandable and paintable.

Just hope you're happy with the new wing incidence.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 AM
tele1974

Thank you guys for your help. I am going to go with the silicone first as Scott suggested for testing. And if it is to be a permanent change - bondo.

Hope to see you at Columbus Scott.

Thanks guys,

Patrick
Old 05-31-2013, 06:02 AM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GP should not have halted production of the Venus II. I wrote a couple of letters to them, encouraging them to continue with this great flying airplane....no luck. I've been flying my Venus II with OS 120AX for 2 years. Wish I could get another one new in the box.
JC

I don't always fly R/C...but when I do, I fly FASST. Fly well my friends.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 AM
chuck993

I use to have a venus II, anyone know where I can get one now, great planes quit making them a couple of years ago,
Old 05-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Strat2003

Bill and I will be at Columbus, Patrick, provided we survive this weekend in Michigan.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:53 PM
RC_Fanatic

I recently acquired a well-used Venus II with an OS 120AX to replace my Focus Sport that succumbed to one-too-many dead-sticks. [:@] I notice that the gear has a lot of toe-out. My understanding is that, for a tail dragger, you want toe-in. What is your experience with this? Should I bend the gear to get toe-in, or leave it as is?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Jetdesign

The stock gear is probably bent some. I found that it bends fairly easily and never gets straight again. It looks to toe out when it's bent.

However, it's not worth worrying about. Some taildraggers (like the Decathlon) are difficult to handle on the ground, so people will toe in the gear to help. With a plane like the Venus (long tail moment) you won't notice.

ORIGINAL: RC_Fanatic

I recently acquired a well-used Venus II with an OS 120AX to replace my Focus Sport that succumbed to one-too-many dead-sticks. [:@] I notice that the gear has a lot of toe-out. My understanding is that, for a tail dragger, you want toe-in. What is your experience with this? Should I bend the gear to get toe-in, or leave it as is?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 AM
wildwillie3

The problem with mine was the bolt holes in the landing have to much clearance for the bolts. You can adjust it but after flying it with the vibrations from the motor they always go back to the way they were. It tracks on the ground fine but it wears out the wheels on pavement. I have left it alone for a couple of seasons now and haven't had any problems.

Bill
Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

A couple of times in the past I have used the clear silicone stuff from GE. Just laid a big bead in the wing saddle and reinstalled the wing with the wing saddle aread of the wing covered in Saran Wrap.
Many years ago I tried saran wrap and wasn't pleased with the result. It was perfectly functional but on my plane is was ugly, cratered, full of creases.

I eventually tried one of my kids' crayons on the wing....rubbed it on the wing. It released well. Removing the crayon wasn't a big deal with a little mineral spirits. I still use this technique on cowls and canopies occasionally.

What I do now is different yet. I apply a strip of sticky back teflon tape onto the wing. The release is perfect every time....Good luck
Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 AM
RC_Fanatic

ORIGINAL: wildwillie3

The problem with mine was the bolt holes in the landing have to much clearance for the bolts. You can adjust it but after flying it with the vibrations from the motor they always go back to the way they were. It tracks on the ground fine but it wears out the wheels on pavement. I have left it alone for a couple of seasons now and haven't had any problems.

Bill
Thanks for the guidance on the gear, guys. I did notice some of the planes shown in this thread had as much toe-out as mine. A solution I've used to the bolt holes being too large is to epoxy in a small piece of aluminum, or even hardwood, between the legs in the center where there is a gap. Did that on my Focus Sport when I got it, but went to larger tight-fitting bolts when I redid the gear.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Many years ago I tried saran wrap and wasn't pleased with the result. It was perfectly functional but on my plane is was ugly, cratered, full of creases.

I eventually tried one of my kids' crayons on the wing....rubbed it on the wing. It released well. Removing the crayon wasn't a big deal with a little mineral spirits. I still use this technique on cowls and canopies occasionally.

What I do now is different yet. I apply a strip of sticky back teflon tape onto the wing. The release is perfect every time....Good luck
I used to try Saran wrap and had the same ugly results, Now i use Cutrite wax paper. No wrinkles and it looks good.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM
cmoulder

Wrinkles can be eliminated entirely by stretching it out and taping the ends to the wing bottom.

But I haven't had the need to do this in quite a long time, and likely never will again as I fly only electric.

Of course there are other good alternatives, as suggested.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by tele1974
I have a question. After reading triangulation trimming and talking with Bryan Hebert I am convinced that the Venus would benefit an increase in positive wing incidence on the main wing. My question is, "How should I do it?"
Hmm. I wonder if that is my problem. I have to carry about 1/8" up-elevator trim to fly level. Someone here suggested I needed to move the CG back but, wonder of wonders, as I added tail weight, the elevator trim position did not change. I went to almost 3/4" back from the recommended CG. The trim stayed the same but the plane became a challenge to fly, especially when landing after I burned off some fuel. (The tank is in the stock position.). Why did you feel you needed the incidence change and did the shimming help? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 AM
RC_Fanatic

Duh-Oh! I forgot about the incidence issue with my Chippie -- http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aero...incidence.html. Part of the answer is there. I still don't understand why changing the CG did not have and effect on the trim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.