Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Venus II

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 05:59 PM
BeauMiller
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...got my Venus II in the air today. Went with a basic setup now with the tank up front. Plan to move it back soon and add a perry pump, which I've had sitting around for several years. Saw a lot of bubbles in the line at anything above half throttle, so kept it fairly mellow. Could only find an APC 16-10 at the local shop and need to get a 16-8 or 15-10. Got about 7500 rpm with the 16-10 using 10% powermaster fuel.

basic setup is:

OS 120AX with Bisson muffler (previously used engine)
Ailerons - S3152 digitals
Elevators - S3152 digitals
Rudder - Hitec 605BB analog
Throttle - S5101 analog
Futaba 7C transmitter and 617 receiver
Weight: 8 lb 1 oz without cowl or wheel pants. Needed 3/4 oz lead on the tail with the battery right under the wing bolts.

Plan to upgrade the battery and rudder servo at some point. Trying to use what I have for now.

Still have a lot to learn, so I'm starting basic for now. I'll be focused on basic trimming when I can get a calm day before winter sets in. Nice plane so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2030335  

Last edited by BeauMiller; 09-08-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Congrats, Beau!

16x8 is money with that engine. It's really nice having the tank on the CG, although not if it causes you engine grief like it did with me. I liked the 15x10 with the YS but that was a short lived experience. Mostly I flew 16x8 with the OS.

Be careful with the Perry Pump - they have diaphragms inside that don't stay good forever. I called Perry at one point with an issue I was having; when I described my unit they told me to throw it out immediately because there was no way the diaphragm would not have dried out by that time.

If the Perry pump is bad I would look into a Cline regulator, or some kind of actual regulated system instead of just a pump. That carb isn't designed to handle pump pressure. You basically have to close the needles and find a tiny sweet spot.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:24 AM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

If you slide the fuel tank back, but keep it level with the carb, you shouldn't need a perry pump. I used a cheapy Sears laser level. Had to install a lite ply shelf and then a sheet of foam. When velcro'd tight the dot was right on the fuel stopper.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:05 AM
BeauMiller

Thanks for the ideas!

I am inclined to stick with the KISS principle and go without the pump, but move the tank back to the cavity just in front of the CG (under the wing leading edge). That will give me a little room to properly pad the tank from vibration. I'm not sure if it is just my setup, but it definitely is not going to work in the stock location being hard mounted in the former. I'll see how the fuel feeds from there and decide if I need to try the pump or a regulator. Not sure I'll even notice the minor CG shift at this point since I'm just getting back into things after 10 years of not flying RC. Reliable and easy to tune are probably more important, just need to get the bubble issue solved.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:09 AM
corch

The other issue I had with the stock position was that vibration with the tank and the formers were slowly scraping away the sides of the fuel tank. Only a matter of time before it would''ve worn through. I also bought a slightly larger fuel tank. I'll take some pictures of my set up tonight and post them for you. I'm a KISS person too. Detroit Rock City!

Last edited by corch; 09-09-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Everyone told me to keep it simple when I started with the Venus. I didn't listen and paid the price of lots of lost flight time, missed practice sessions, etc.

I wonder if there is a long, flat fuel tank that would help? The idea being the CG of the tank would be closer to the CG of the plane.

The change in feel (which I seem to recall clearly) is noticeable but not drastic. Choosing a reliable power system far outweighs the benefit of a constant CG in the Venus. Obviously it would be ideal to have both.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:31 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Here's a possible solution that I have used back in the '90s when I was running ST2300s in pattern ships just using pipe pressure:
It requires two fuel tanks; a small 2-4oz 'header' tank located just behind the firewall and a larger 12-16 oz tank (depending on engine size and desired flight time) located on the CG. The fuel feed line from the header tank goes to the engine; the fuel feed line from the larger tank goes into the 'vent' line of the header tank. The pressure line goes to the vent line of the larger tank.
This system worked flawlessly for me and eliminates the need for an external pump -KISS!
Good luck and happy flying!

PS If you don't fly the header tank dry the CG will remain virtually unchanged.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:35 PM
BeauMiller

Originally Posted by flywilly
Here's a possible solution that I have used back in the '90s when I was running ST2300s in pattern ships just using pipe pressure:
It requires two fuel tanks; a small 2-4oz 'header' tank located just behind the firewall and a larger 12-16 oz tank (depending on engine size and desired flight time) located on the CG. The fuel feed line from the header tank goes to the engine; the fuel feed line from the larger tank goes into the 'vent' line of the header tank. The pressure line goes to the vent line of the larger tank.
This system worked flawlessly for me and eliminates the need for an external pump -KISS!
Good luck and happy flying!

PS If you don't fly the header tank dry the CG will remain virtually unchanged.
Excellent idea! There is plenty of room for both tanks.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:21 PM
corch

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/a...05DBB05FB9.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/a...F81BB7A52D.jpg

I use white plastic brake line for running through the tank all the way out past the fire wall. A little heat from the heat gun will allow you to bend the line once past the fire wall for your carb and vent line and fill line.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:23 AM
RC_Fanatic

When I click on the links I get a spam window telling me I need to upgrade my video player. When I try to close the window, it takes me to another site for Windows software. Could be a problem!

Originally Posted by corch
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/a...05DBB05FB9.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/a...F81BB7A52D.jpg

I use white plastic brake line for running through the tank all the way out past the fire wall. A little heat from the heat gun will allow you to bend the line once past the fire wall for your carb and vent line and fill line.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:55 PM
BeauMiller

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
When I click on the links I get a spam window telling me I need to upgrade my video player. When I try to close the window, it takes me to another site for Windows software. Could be a problem!
Hmmm...just takes me to a couple photos.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:04 PM
BeauMiller

Made some mods to my Venus this weekend and flew it this evening. Moved the fuel tank to the compartment under the forward part of the wing and added a couple fuel valves off the firewall. I turned the tank on its side and it is well padded now. No bubbles and it seems to run fine in the vertical with the longer fuel lines. Slight RPM drop after 4-5 seconds, but good enough for me at this point. It flew great and I'm happy the simplicity. Just need to spend some time learning to get it balanced and trimmed well.

Thanks to all the posts in this thread with great information.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeauMiller
EDIT---basic setup is:

OS 120AX with Bisson muffler (previously used engine)

Still have a lot to learn, so I'm starting basic for now. I'll be focused on basic trimming when I can get a calm day before winter sets in. Nice plane so far.
Beau,

If the plane should need a powerplant replacement at some point, you might consider the OS GT22 or DLE20. It doesn't get any simpler than that. These will turn the same props as you glow engine does at similar rpm. Except you will need to learn to add oil into your gasoline.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 AM
corch

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpma1232.html

os22 or os33 on the new "Sequence"? Curious what the "pro from Dover" thinks...

no pipe tunnel...but probably a fairly simple mod.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 AM
MTK

OS GT33 on an 8 pound model with maybe 850 squares?? Man you really want to blow off the competition. The 20 / 22cc is more than enough ooomph. BUT if way overpower is your thing, go 4 it. On the other hand, nothing sez you couldn't put a 16" prop on the 33. It won't like it but it won't get hurt either.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:25 AM
corch

Not too much, but I like adequate power like unlimited up lines. According to Great Planes, they're figuring the model between 9.75-10.75lbs with 836 squares.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:13 AM
MTK

The un-piped 33 will give that model all it needs and more.

The piped 33 pulls like a freight train on any length vertical of models weighing as much as 14 pounds/1200 squares in 90-95 degree heat. In cooler air, add at least another Lb to the model.

EDIT- forgot to say that the engine needs to be propped right. Most of the props I've read others using are small for the 33. I have a whole thread/sticky on how I run mine....

Last edited by MTK; 09-17-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt, what size prop do you recommend for the 33 on non-piped, standard muffler? I'm currently using a Xoar 18x10 and it has impressive performance. This is the sweetest running engine I've ever owned.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:40 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by Russmall
Matt, what size prop do you recommend for the 33 on non-piped, standard muffler? I'm currently using a Xoar 18x10 and it has impressive performance. This is the sweetest running engine I've ever owned.
Risking a thread highjack......Sorry Russ, I can't make a recommendation. I have never run the 33 on muffler, only pipe. But I believe a 19x10 would be ok. You should get around 6600-6800 rpm. I agree it is as sweet an engine as OS has ever put out. Piping this thing is simple and the output nothing short of amazing. If you're interested look in the other thread for details or send me a email. No PMs please. I hate RCUs PMs
Old 09-19-2014, 07:25 AM
corch

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-p...e-pattern.html

This is MattK's thread on OS33. It's awesome.

I've pretty much resigned myself on getting a new sequence, but I'm struggling with powerplant.

They'll only take my Venus when they pry it from my cold dead heads, or someone make a ridiculous offer, lol
Old 10-05-2014, 10:59 PM
tele1974

Great to see some activity in the Venus thread. I'll be flying my Syssa powered Venus II again this season.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:24 PM
KLXMASTER14

I have a NIB Venus II listed in the classifieds.

Robert

Edit- SOLD

Last edited by KLXMASTER14; 10-11-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Sold
Old 12-26-2014, 09:38 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

Does anyone have a original aluminum spinner they don't or didn't use for the Venus II? The bolt that holds the spinner broke and I lost the spinner cone so if someone has a unused aluminum spinner or have a part number that can steer me to a current replacement aluminum spinner I would be most grateful.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:27 PM
corch

Best bet is to get one through tru turn. This one is nice: http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store...exact_match=on
Use the adapters for your particular engine. Have them cut for your particular props. Well worth it in my opinion.

I would send you my orig Venus spinner but I had to widen the cutouts to it for a 16X8 prop and the bolt on mine broke too. Also has a couple of dings from from prop kicks and trying to start with a slightly loosened prop.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:32 PM
KLXMASTER14

Originally Posted by rglgatortail
Does anyone have a original aluminum spinner they don't or didn't use for the Venus II? The bolt that holds the spinner broke and I lost the spinner cone so if someone has a unused aluminum spinner or have a part number that can steer me to a current replacement aluminum spinner I would be most grateful.
Gator,
The original spinner is no longer available, but this should be an exact (or super close) replacement:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK231&P=ML

Robert

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.