Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2 meter plans

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 01:00 PM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Typhoon

SWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT!
Old 05-19-2004, 03:00 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Maybe someone needs to send a CAD file of the parts to a laser cutting house so guys can order a short kit. . . .
Old 05-19-2004, 03:17 PM
sigk

Great pictures MHester [8D]
Sooooooo beautiful.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:21 PM
ini

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Futaba stickers and JR servos
Just kidding ...

Awesome plane !!!! That is really fantastic!

Eagerly waiting for test report. When will the plans be ready for public?

ini
Old 05-19-2004, 03:41 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

That's because my radio is a futaba The WC2 is a better radio than the 10x. In my opinion.

But the JR servos are the best PERIOD.

Well I'm toying with the idea of making a short kit for this thing. It would have plans, a fiberglass cowl, a canopy (either clear or C/F), laser cut formers and ribs, C/F wing tube, C/F gear and pants, C/F stab tube and adjusters for all.

Or just the plans, cowl and canopy.......something like that.

Thing is I'm flirting with copyrite infringement using the T2K cowl and canopy if I sold the plans. So I'd have to change it and make my own. Not a big deal, but a little time consuming. Plus getting the parts for a T2K seems to be a real headache lately. It's best to just break away on the next one and make molds for everything and draw up the plans. I already have the wing and stab in CAD, I'd just need to do up the fuse formers and fin.

But that's putting the cart before the horse, this thing might fly like a wobbly pig [:'(]......or it'll be sweet....but it's pretty, so hey what the hell right? Heh.

-Mike
Old 05-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Jon Wold

Mhester, the Tempest turned out extremely beautiful. My compliments on a plane very well built!!! [8D]
Old 05-21-2004, 06:29 AM
sigk

Here is an update on my Typhoon.
The front has been sheeted and I am really pleased with the result.
It's about 2,6 kg now, not to bad I think, considering I'm not using the wood this plane really deserves.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11435.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	134591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35973.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	134592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73178.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	134593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp40127.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	134594  
Old 05-21-2004, 09:47 AM
MHester

Looking sweet Sig!

-Mike
Old 05-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Boogie

That is really nice!!
Old 05-22-2004, 05:11 AM
sigk

Thanks
The thing about the Typhoon, it seems to grow on me.
I just like this plane better and better And if this bird flies as well as they say, I'm sure I will build another one but next time spend more money on it, buy lighter wood and use lighter wing tubes etc.
And now I have come to my original idea, to make two sets of wings. But instead of using wings from another plane, I will use the Typhoon wing, but with double taper, moving the tip rib 1,5" forward (similar to my Supra) and using the W2 rib as the root rib. That would be a
5 1/2" shorter wing.
Now that the fuselage is built it's so much easier to see how different wing shapes will look on it. I´m just not sure how big the stab needs to be.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:48 AM
MHester

Tempest flight report:

Ok, I flew this sucker 4 times this morning. in a word....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No joke, this plane blows away any other plane I have ever flown, including EVERYTHING by ZN except the new Supreme. (which I haven't flown yet).

Take off was dead straight, perfect level lift off on center. It required 2 clicks of up trim, as it is slightly nose heavy (on purpose...new design). It also pulls VERY slightly to the canopy on down lines for that reason. The rudder coupling is dead perfect. Not any roll or pitch coupling. Zero. Nada.

I flew it through the intermediate sequence, then through the advanced sequence, then a friend of mine flew it through FAI P01. Flawless. A perfect blend of stability and manueverability. Tracks dead straight, and inverted flight is just as effortless as upright, with barely any stick pressure to hold it level. 1/2 oz in the tail and that'll cure everything.

Rolls are the most axial of any plane I have ever flown, PERIOD. It requires no top rudder, and barely a hint of down passing through inverted. I tried top rudder a few times and it climbed. Knife edge it pulled slightly to the canopy, again this can be fixed with just a slght amount of tail weight, no roll tendancies whatsoever. Point rolls and slow rolls were textbook.

Landing was laughable. Perfect glide slope, 3 point touchdown on center and 10 foot roll out. Pffft please.

To say I'm pleased would be an understatement. I am already beginning to cut parts for another one! (I hope I can find a freakin cowl). In short, this ain't your grandpa's Typhoon. This is a totally up to date FAI butt whoopin design that is a true JOY to fly. All of the bad habits the Typhoon 2000 had are GONE. In fact, I'm searching for any bad habitst his thing DOES have. So far just the nose heavy thingy is all. And we're only talking about a 1/2 ounce to fix it. MAYBE.

Enough talk, it's time to start cutting parts for Tempest #2 [8D]

-Mike
Old 05-24-2004, 10:54 AM
rodney tanner

Congratulations Mike. Do you plan to make the plans and/or a short kit available ? Where did the wing and stab placement finally end up compared to the origional T2K?
Old 05-24-2004, 11:41 AM
sigk

Congratulations MHester. Great all your work and modifications has paid off.
Your Tempest is awesome.[8D]
Old 05-24-2004, 11:59 AM
MHester

Thanks guys.

The wing and stab are completely different than the T2K. The wing ends up being 1/2" forward and 1/2" up from the original position, which doesn't sound like much, but even LOOKS different. The stab is also 1/2" forward and 1/2" up. The rudder is reshaped to eliminate the minor coupling involved in the original T2K (and I do mean MINOR). But the biggest difference is the way it tracks and the way it snaps/spins. the original plane left a lot to be desired with the way it snapped. The Tempest snaps clean and recovers on line, even in a 45 deg upline. The only other plane I've seen snap this cleanly is Bryan Hebert's Quest r2.

I can't wait to get a little weight in the tail and go fly it again. This thing makes pattern effortless!

Dunno about short kits or plans yet, I'm still working on it. However if someone has the means and the ambition, I'll be glad to share the details so they can build one like this one. It'll take some doing on my part, but it's well worth it. This plane NEEDS to be out there flying.

-Mike
Old 05-24-2004, 07:03 PM
rodney tanner

Hey Mike,
I just read, on another thread, that you went with an OS 140, instead of the Mintor 170. What did you not like about the Mintor???
Old 05-24-2004, 07:48 PM
MHester

Well...................................

It wasn't what I expected. I'll leave it at that, for now. I'll just say it's not an OS, and if I wanted to tinker with an engine, I'd have bought a YS

It wouldn't idle and had a bad vibration. It could be a number of things, so the skinny is I didn't want to mess with it yet, I wanted to fly. I talked with lance at Aeroslave and he's taken the engine back to see whaddup. Time will tell, I have plenty of OSs and the 3M was an experiment. So I'm in no rush, Lance seems cool so I'm sure whatever is wrong will be made right, no big whoop.

I know tons of them are out there running flawlessly, so something is up with mine. Either there's actually a defect in teh engine somewhere, or it's something I'm doing (or not doing). We'll see here in a week or so what the deal is.

-Mike
Old 05-24-2004, 08:08 PM
rodney tanner

Mike,
Can you contact me directly, so we can talk about Tempest possibilities.([email protected])
Old 05-28-2004, 02:49 AM
sigk

The wings are almost completed, only need final sanding and balancing.

Name:	Lj22468.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	137199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14805.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	137200  
Old 05-28-2004, 02:56 AM
sigk

I can't say I enjoyed cutting open the bottom for the pipe but it couldn't wait much longer.

Name:	Rp44677.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	137203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27900.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	137204  
Old 05-28-2004, 11:23 PM
MHester

Ok flight update on the Tempest, for those who wanted to know. I have flown it every day this week, MAN this airplane kicks butt.

I added about 1/2 oz in the tail, and set the stabs about .1 deg positive.

Well, the plane is perfect now. It turns totally flat, downlines and uplines are straight, and inverted flight is just as clean as upright. Snaps are crisp and recover on line, spins break cleanly and it stops on a dime.

I switched props to the Bolly 17.5x12 and tweaked in some additional right thrust (4 deg total). It now climbs vertical with rolls at 1/2 throttle.

I even hovered it. (I Know I know) It will stay put as long as you can stay with it. I had it in a hover for over 30 seconds before I got buzzed by a sport flyer and had to bail out.

All in all, it's a pretty awesome plane.

Right now I'm re-doing a ZN hydeaway for a friend and trying to get some of the coupling out of it. It looks like the wing was in the wrong place, and he had almost a lb of lead in the nose to balance it (making it probably the only 11 lb 4 ounce Hydeaway in existance). So whee, I'm cutting and moving wing tubes and adjusters.

Anyway, that's what's up and I'm currently working on the drawings for this thing. Looks like there will be a couple more out there [8D]

-Mike
Old 05-28-2004, 11:24 PM
MHester

BTW, where the heck has GW been?

-Mike (again)
Old 05-28-2004, 11:51 PM
TeamVertical
My Feedback: (9)

Default Typhoon

I was gonna check out GW's website and it is down also. Sure miss that website, it had great info.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:19 AM
rcairplanenut

Default RE: 2 meter plans

Balsa USA is a good place to go
They have only sent me good stuff

www.balsausa.com

sgg
Old 06-01-2004, 02:33 AM
sigk

The cowl has been opened up to accept the engine. Unfortunately the Walbro carb is so big that there is hardly anything left to glue the cheek cowl on to, so the cheek cowls will not be used this time.

Name:	Om31915.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	138326  
Old 06-01-2004, 02:36 AM
sigk

After sheeting the pipe tunnel one of the last things to do is the fairing behind the cowl, a very nice feature and for me it is one of the things that make this plane a very enjoyable building project and makes the plane look so much more beautiful.[8D]

Name:	Ge94306.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	138328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33578.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	138329  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.