RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Excelleron 90...WHAT ENGINE!?!?!

Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 PM
jasonkim514
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Excelleron 90...WHAT ENGINE!?!?!

Okay...I have a Excelleron 90 with a OS 120 Surpass III w/pump installed. Well it lacks power to complete a pattern well. Now I was thinking of engine options to change it to. I thought of YS 110 but the thing is, I don't like YS Engines. No offence to the YS fans but they use too much high nitro fuels, you can tell the amount they throw away by the amount of white smoke that it spits out. Well one day, I was talking to a friend of mine on the airfield I was flying at and he told me of this one hobby shop that had a OS 120 Surpass SuperCharged engine O_O! well I found out that he did and he was selling it for $567 and that was too expensive for me at the moment. Well after a month of flying, I got frustrated and decided to buy it then didn't because it was so expensive. Well I came home today and my parents had bought it for me for my birthday present O_O!!!!! They got it for about $480 after I dealed it with the guy before-hand. Now I have a brand new Supercharged engine that my dad said worked incredibly well on a 90 size pattern plane when he flew pattern back in the day. So I'm waiting for the day I get to fly with it but until then, heres some pictures. I'll put more pictures up next time. I'll also tell you guys how if flew.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69316.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	458266   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45426.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	458267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77585.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	458268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18373.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	458269   Click image for larger version

Name:	My25220.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	458270  
Old 05-09-2006, 05:32 AM
snap_roll

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Excelleron 90...WHAT ENGINE!?!?!

hi, my YS110 runs on 20% nitro(not too bad) and sucks about 300ml per advanced flite,which is very economical.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:39 AM
pmr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For me its YS 110 or OS 120 two stroke, both a lot cheaper than the $480 you bought your engine.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:58 AM
jayjayneri

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used that engine when it first came out 12 or so years ago. It puts out much more power than the 120 Surpass III for sure but the old YS120AC was a much better engine in its time. That is a very heavy engine at 1050 grams if I remember correctly, so you need to balance your plane carefully. And it vibrates a lot so a good soft mount is a MUST. Your best choice would have been a YS110. A YS140 Sport or OS120AX, while not ideal, would have been better, not to mention cheaper alternatives in my opinion. Having said all that, there's no reason why you can't make it work. Just use a good soft mount and mount your servos and batteries as far back as possble. You may have to make a hatch at the rear of the fuse and mount your servos there to minimize the dead weight you will have to add. And believe me, you will have to add dead weight to balance it correctly. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:51 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another option is the Saito 1.25 .
I've just put a Saito 1.25 on my Excelleron which flew with a YS 1.10 last year and I'm
pretty impressed with it. It starts easily, idles very good, and has more than enough power.
It's nowhere near being broken in yet but it seems to have as much vertical pull as the YS .

tommy s
Old 05-09-2006, 05:29 PM
jasonkim514

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well for one thing, I just don't like YS engines no offense. And the SuperCharged engine that I bought, I have 100% confidence in because my dad had it before. The power also makes up for the weight. I remember Naruke using this engine in the 1999 F3A championships. I just love this engine for one thing is that it was the very first model airplane engine equipped with a Supercharger and probably the last.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:49 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Power doesn't make up for weight, heavy is heavy is heavy, sure your uplines might be fine, but it will be faster in the downlines.

Why don't you like YS? Have you ever owned and ran a YS? I've ran the 140FZ, 140L, 120AC, 91AC, 61R's, 120SC, and the 120FZ. Outside of the 61's, I have run all of them on 15% nitro or the powermaster YS20/20 blend.

I've also owned the OS 120 surpass with supercharger, it is heavy, vibrates like mad, uses more fuel than the YS140FZ did, has less power than any of the 120's YS has made, costs more, and was probably one of the most finicky engine's I've ever owned. In fact, the only way my supercharged OS would run consistently was on 30% nitro.

Also, to coin a phrase, "no offense" but the 120 Surpass III should be MORE than enough power to complete any of the patterns with an Excelleron 90. Either your airplane is VERY heavy, or you're not using throttle the way you need to use it with a 4 stroke in a pattern plane. My guess is, with the extra weight of the supercharged engine the extra power isn't going to help you much in the uplines over the surpass III. A YS110 or 120FZ would have been a better choice IMO.

Oh, I realize that I don't post in the pattern forum often, I think only once or twice in the past, but a friend sent me to this post knowing that I've run all those engines. Before I started flying turbines I competed in pattern for about 8 years, all the way through FAI before I started with jets. Nope, I'm no expert, and there are more engines on the market today that are better engines than what I've owned/ran, but the supercharged OS is a very old engine, wasn't even really competitive when it was out against the YS engines of that era.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:37 PM
jasonkim514

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I understand what your saying but I owned...well my father owned this engine before and loved it. I have other friends who fly pattern with an Excelleron 90 with a OS 120 Surpass III and they agree that the engine is too weak to fly pattern on this plane. Yes it will take the plane vertically high enough to accomplish patterns, but because it isn't sufficient in power, there is a lot of rudder and elevator work involved. Yes I have used a YS and still do not like it. I'll post again when I run this engine and post about its efficiency and how well the plane flies.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:09 AM
DaveR
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's a neat engine, and quite powerful, but.............what are you going to do for parts? I know for a fact that Hobby Services has NO parts for this motor, except for those it MIGHT share with current production OS 120, you'd need to ask Bax about it on the OS forum. At best, you might be able to get it serviced in Japan. While I think you could find bearings, anything else is a big question mark.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:11 AM
jasonkim514

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well spare parts aren't a big problem for me. For one thing, I have never had to change parts on my other engines, what are the chances I'll have to for this one? Also, I have spare parts at my house my dad got wen he bought his supercharge many years ago.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:41 PM
ElectRick
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jasonkim514

Well for one thing, I just don't like YS engines no offense. And the SuperCharged engine that I bought, I have 100% confidence in because my dad had it before. The power also makes up for the weight. I remember Naruke using this engine in the 1999 F3A championships. I just love this engine for one thing is that it was the very first model airplane engine equipped with a Supercharger and probably the last.
Yes, it might have been the first (that doesn't necessarily qualify it as best though), and it may well be the last blower-equipped model engine produced.

Now ask yourself WHY that is. Why did it disappear off the market so quickly? Why didn't all the top guys immediately switch to it to try and gain a competitive edge over the YS's?

Weight, complexity, vibration, and expense do not a better engine make. If a heavy gear driven supercharged model engine were fundamentally a world-beating concept in pattern, OS (and everybody else) would be making them and people would still be flying them, most likely.

Just my 2c worth.

FWIW, my Excelleron 90 is going to be electrified this fall, most likely with a Hyperion Z4035 motor. I had bought a new MVVS .91 2-stroke and pipe (a stump puller of an engine) for it after I got the plane, but I think I've changed my mind, now that big LiPos are more reasonably priced.

Rick
Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 AM
GM1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Excelleron has a YS 110 with a 16-10 APC prop and Wildcat 30% Heli fuel. It will come off the runway and go straight up until I cannot see it any more. I have run YSs in my helicopters and pattern models since the 70s and have always found them to be plug and play. I ran a YS91FZ in my G-Trick for years, replaced the 91 with a 110, destroyed the model in a b1rd collision (the turkey buzzard lost!), replaced the G-Trick with an Excelleron and have been thrilled with the performance of the model and the motor. I have flown the same model with a Saito 125 and it was fine but I prefer the 110 for simplicity and fuel efficiency. Everyone has their own opinion about stuff, and everyone elses stinks, except mine <G>
Try the OS and see if you like it. It might be great.
Gordie
Old 05-15-2006, 01:21 PM
CGRetired

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Unless you absolutely want to stick with a four stroke, I have an OS 1.20 AX on mine and it does just fine. It goes vertical at about half to three quarters throttle, take off is at the same throttle. I am using an 15-10 APC, 15% nitro S&W fuel. It starts right up and runs clean all the time with very little fuss after initial startup... slight adjustment of the HS needle for day changes and so on, and that's it for the rest of the day. One flip of the prop starts it right up. A good combination in my opinion.

DS.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:02 PM
jasonkim514

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the OS 120 AX sounds great. Well, I flew my first flight with the OS 120 Supercharger and it flew great. the wind was strong yet it flew right through it as if there was no wind at all. VERY VERY STRONG. Idles great and the engine starts right away without hesitation. I have no regrets buying this engine :-D. There was one thing that went wrong though. The wind was strong and the engine was so powerful that one of the ailerons ripped out O_O. I landed it safely with one aileron attached. This shows how powerful the engine was haha.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:46 PM
ElectRick
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd argue that it more likely shows that someone didn't glue in the aileron hinges properly.

Rick
Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 PM
morsilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rossi R90 FI RC Vs. DLE 20?

Hello everyone! I am re opening this thread after a few years because I’m building a brand new excelleron 90 and I can’t decide wether to use a NIB Rossi R 90 FI RC (rear exhaus, I already have this engine) with a long tuned pipe, or to buy a new DLE 20 engine?

supposedly, the Rossi Wil throw 4.1 HP@15,000rpm vs the DLE 2.5HP @8500 RPM

i am making my own FAI fuel, and this is my first pattern ship. What are your thoughts? Should I get rid of the Rossi and go for Dle 20? Or use the vintage Rossi engine with the pipe? I have no problem modifying the fuselage to accommodate the pipe
Old 07-11-2018, 12:45 AM
Ekvien

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would choose an engine thats gives enough power in uplines and brakes in downlines. 4 stroke engine like YS 115S could be a solution. Old 2 stroke pattern engines is just for speed and you have no brake in down lines. Most of the patternship mentioned as 90 size flies better with engines around 110 - 120 size.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:21 PM
morsilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Ekvien View Post
I would choose an engine thats gives enough power in uplines and brakes in downlines. 4 stroke engine like YS 115S could be a solution. Old 2 stroke pattern engines is just for speed and you have no brake in down lines. Most of the patternship mentioned as 90 size flies better with engines around 110 - 120 size.
thanks a lot for your kind advice! I was completely unfamiliar with the concept of “breaking in the downlines”. Could this be achieved with the old 2 stroke by using a larger propeller?

my only concern with the YS is the high cost of the engine and that it does not fly with FAI fuel. I live outside the US, where it is impossible to buy nitro. Hence my inclination for a DLE or using the Rossi that I already possess.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:59 PM
Ekvien

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see from the other treads that one person gives advice about tuning in the pipe so you could run a bigger prop, that could also be a solution. Since you not have access to nitro fuel maybe as mentioned in the other tread that OS AX 120 could be an option. Weight to power ratio is the problem with gasoline engines, but of course, easy access for fuel. Is it possible to electrify the model?
Old 07-12-2018, 05:12 AM
morsilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Ekvien View Post
I see from the other treads that one person gives advice about tuning in the pipe so you could run a bigger prop, that could also be a solution. Since you not have access to nitro fuel maybe as mentioned in the other tread that OS AX 120 could be an option. Weight to power ratio is the problem with gasoline engines, but of course, easy access for fuel. Is it possible to electrify the model?
Thank you Ekvien! Yes, maybe that would be an option, to make it eléctric. This kit was designed for nitro, but I guess with so many hassles nowadays, it would be more practical to add a new firewall and make it electric. The only challenge I see is replacing the battery every time, since I would have to remove the wings every flight to replace the battery.

what engine/battery combo would be recommended for this project? This is a 1.70m x 1.70 m airplane, a bit heavy.