Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Wheel Pants - What are they good for??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Wheel Pants - What are they good for??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:14 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wheel Pants - What are they good for??

Ed - thank you! You and I have pretty different "styles".... and who is to say one gains or loses points over the other?? Yet it happens... We each NAIL the four point.... but you're faster, a little softer hitting the points.... I'm crisper but slower in flight speed with my wheel pant spinning on it's axle because it came loose on takeoff....

WHO will get the better score??? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

ORIGINAL: Divesplat

MAN I LOVE Bob's posts!!!!!!

That super ontanium that comes unscrewed during flight so your landing gear bend and break etc etc etc.

I agree with the perception/presentation thing. I used to fly very fast (factor of the planes I was flying) but if a slow roll was centered, same roll rate, on a wire it should be scored without bias to speed. Should point rolls be quick and precise, or slow and gracefull?? The rules don't say.

If someone exits a spin 90 degrees off, but does it smoothly, do we not give the 6 pt MANDATORY deduction or do we say boy that looked good, lets give him a 7(happens all the time) Or do we say he screwed up 6 points but earned back 3 for S+G??

This could go on forever.

As far as Wheel Pants go, They are cool, and some say, supposed to add side lift to help with rolling and knife edge capability of a plane. Oh yeah, the're Purrrrty also.

Ed
Old 05-18-2006, 04:52 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I prefer to dress mine up in skirts and frilly dresses. (as opposed to pants) [:@]
Old 05-18-2006, 07:58 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Keith,

Glad to hear that about the EV... got any pics to post ?

Scott Anderson
D3 AVP
Team Tanicpacks.com
Tean Castle Creations
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

Keith,

Glad to hear that about the EV... got any pics to post ?
If I can get my NiMH AA batteries charged! I had this great idea that I'd buy some of the Energizer AA NiMH batteries to save money on batteries around the house. I think I'll go back to the 24-packs of alkalines. . . Does anyone know if a digital camera will run on a 2-cell LiPo??

Old 05-18-2006, 09:55 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: aerobob

You're toying with me, Chad.... I *know* you must be...
Yep
Old 05-18-2006, 10:35 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way Chad your planes look like pieces of art. Mike
Old 05-18-2006, 11:01 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mups53

Are you kidding! The Japanese...now those boys can finish a plane

You should see what I did to my Twister already [] Collapsed the gear...put a hole in the wing (damn wheelpants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, no I am not kidding!, 5th flight)....had to retouch the paint up....PITA!

I am gonna mount my CPLR wing for the contest this weekend though Gotta get that presentation score up there LOL!!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:11 AM
mups53

ORIGINAL: can773

ORIGINAL: mups53

Are you kidding! The Japanese...now those boys can finish a plane

You should see what I did to my Twister already [] Collapsed the gear...put a hole in the wing (damn wheelpants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, no I am not kidding!, 5th flight)....had to retouch the paint up....PITA!

I am gonna mount my CPLR wing for the contest this weekend though Gotta get that presentation score up there LOL!!
Let us know how the little wing works out. Are they actually available to buy? For what it's worth I flew at the TOC's when it was pattern and the Jap planes were the best there. They are the true artists. Mike
Old 05-18-2006, 05:40 PM
ENO
My Feedback: (2)

.......Coming back to wheel pants, if you don't have them on your $$ Bird it like wearing an Armani suit with your pants up !! ....it just doesn't look right or give justice to that plane you've put so many hours of your time on !
Old 05-18-2006, 06:27 PM
klhoard

Just got back from the field. Three flights and the landing gear is still attached!! I don't think I'm going back to using wheel pants, so if any of you are judging me in the future just dock the points but don't tell me about it. . .
Old 05-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Bob Pastorello

Yah, Keith.... don't be intimidated. Wheel pants only figure into that Presentation score, anyway.... glad you kept your legs under ya.... this is the Icepoint, right?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:30 PM
klhoard

Bob,

Yes, I'm still flying the Icepoint. I made a few little upgrades over the winter to address some reliability / longevity issues. Hopefully I have it wired for the season. My little mishap on Tuesday just happened to give me one more - no wheel pants. I have another one in the garage that I'm planning on duplicating once I get this one dialed in.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:27 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Keith that pipe you gave me works geat, going to try to fly the Focus nest week
Old 05-18-2006, 10:31 PM
jetmech43

without the pants of course
Old 05-19-2006, 03:16 PM
klhoard

ORIGINAL: jetmech43

Hey Keith that pipe you gave me works geat, going to try to fly the Focus nest week
I'm glad you're getting good use out of it. We need to get together for some pattern flying soon.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:52 PM
jetmech43

Im ready
Old 05-24-2006, 06:04 PM
CW

We have this discussion at our Club too. Its about 6-2 in favour. I am one of the non believers and have a little saying I repeat anytime there is a problem with wheel pants.- " Fifty dollars, fifty grammes- both wasted"
Cheers,
CW
Old 05-24-2006, 06:18 PM
klhoard

ORIGINAL: CW

We have this discussion at our Club too. Its about 6-2 in favour. I am one of the non believers and have a little saying I repeat anytime there is a problem with wheel pants.- " Fifty dollars, fifty grammes- both wasted"
Cheers,
CW
Maybe once I win a World Championship without wheel pants, it'll be fashionable to go without them. . .

Old 05-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Jimbo952

I Believe wheel pants are to an airplane what fenders are to a car. Go ahead and pull all the fenders off your car and drive it down the road and watch the reaction of people who see it. They're just adding weight and possibly improving its aerodynamics any way. Why do we spend so much time and money painting our planes also, Woulnt it be cheaper and easier to throw a few squirts of paint on to help distinquish top from bottom? While we're at it, why dont we mount the wing and stab servos on top so they are easier to service and make adjustments to? Is a pattern plane just an appliance with which to compete? I dont think so. An model airplane of any kind is a thing of beauty and source of pride to its owner/builder. A fixed gear pattern plane w/o wheel pants, is in my opinion just plain ugly.
My 2 cents.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Bob Pastorello

Jimbo, you make a STRONG argument. If I went pantless, it would NOT be a thing of beauty, the reaction of viewers would be extremely powerful, and keeping my pants on has NEVER made me any prettier....

But your point is well-taken....thanks!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
mups53

ORIGINAL: Jimbo952

I Believe wheel pants are to an airplane what fenders are to a car. Go ahead and pull all the fenders off your car and drive it down the road and watch the reaction of people who see it. They're just adding weight and possibly improving its aerodynamics any way. Why do we spend so much time and money painting our planes also, Woulnt it be cheaper and easier to throw a few squirts of paint on to help distinquish top from bottom? While we're at it, why dont we mount the wing and stab servos on top so they are easier to service and make adjustments to? Is a pattern plane just an appliance with which to compete? I dont think so. An model airplane of any kind is a thing of beauty and source of pride to its owner/builder. A fixed gear pattern plane w/o wheel pants, is in my opinion just plain ugly.
My 2 cents.
Very well stated. I still say that pattern judging is an overall impression. It's best to keep your pants on! Mike