Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

NARCA Contest, Harvest, AL

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 09:03 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NARCA Contest, Harvest, AL

Thanks to Lamar Blair and the NARCA club for the contest today in Harvest. First contest there in 2 or 3 years. 14 contestants, which isn't bad just one week after the Andersonville, GA contest. 3 in sportsman, including 2 newbies, 7 in intermediate, 1 advanced, 2 masters, and 1 FAI. We got 6 rounds in today, in 95 degree temps, and called it a weekend! The NARCA club members were great, and turned out in considerable numbers.

Winners:
Sportsman:
1. Dean Funk
2. Rick Broullette
3. Doug Burfitt

Intermediate:
1. Jon Lowe
2. Gary Courtney
3. Larry Barksdale
(my brain gets fuzzy after this...)

Advanced:
1. Mike Hester

Masters:
1. John Fuqua
2. Jim Ivey

FAI:
1. Lamar Blair

Since we were intermediate heavy, we had to rely on the few in the other classes for Judges, which wore them out. Special thanks to Bill Harden, Everette Carpenter, and Jerry Stebbins, who didn't fly, but who were pressed into service judging, giving relief.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:27 PM
BrianB
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: NARCA Contest, Harvest, AL

Dang Jon, I tought you were kidding about talking a bunch of people into flying Intermediate for this contest, lol. What did you have to pay them? did you hier them off the street? Did you have to loan them your plane. lol Ah Im just kidding, sounds like a good time and congradulations. Good job to Dean, Gary and all as well. Where is the pictures Dean?
Old 06-11-2006, 06:32 AM
jonlowe

I was surprised at how many showed up. Everyone from Andersonville except you and one other. Tony Coberly ended up flying one of Lamar's old Sillouette 1's which they got flyable in a marathon session Friday nite, and both Gary Courtney and Larry Barksdale made it up.

I was actually flying decent this weekend, unlike last. I had a couple of flights I was fairly satisfied with, and I had none last weekend. Maybe could have given you a run for your money had you shown up! Gary was flying well also. I won four rounds and he won two.

Take care.

Jon

ORIGINAL: BrianB

Dang Jon, I tought you were kidding about talking a bunch of people into flying Intermediate for this contest, lol. What did you have to pay them? did you hier them off the street? Did you have to loan them your plane. lol Ah Im just kidding, sounds like a good time and congradulations. Good job to Dean, Gary and all as well. Where is the pictures Dean?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:09 PM
patternflyr
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks for the info, Jon. Congratulations!

Emory.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Lamar Blair

I did see him handing out some money I was not sure why.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:21 AM
grcourtney
My Feedback: (1)

Brian I tried to put the hex on Jon just ask him about the swimming pool next time you see him. Lamar did a great job in the heat keeping the event flowing. NARCA actually has a nice field for having contests it would be worth the trip for anyone next year. Thanks to Mike Hesters wife for keeping up with the scores. I hope Mike's trip back was better than the one down.

gary
Old 06-12-2006, 09:48 AM
handglider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Everybody,

Wow what a great time. I showed up at the field at sunset friday night just in time for a steak dinner and beers with Melissa and Mike Hester. I camped under the full moon with wild coyotes going crazy all around the airport. Kind of spooky but really a great place to camp.

The NARCA field is a perfect place for a pattern meet, a really nice grass strip, it is actually a public airport. The box is pretty much wide open with a small tree line on the left side. We where looking into the sun until about 10:30, then the only issue was intense heat. I bet it was close to 100° by early afternoon. The local club really came out to support the meet, lots of really nice guys. We had to slow things down a couple of times while some full scale models needed the full length of the runway for takeoff or landing.

This was my second experience judging, I think I judged 5 rounds of intermediate. Between flying my rounds, calling and coaching the new sportsman pilots, judging and hydrating, I never got a chance to get my camera out, sorry Brian. I know there where others shooting so hopefully somebody reading this thread will post some pictures.

There was a lot of really great flying going on, Jon had an excellent meet, he and Gary where going head to head in Intermediate all day long. Larry put together some excellent rounds and came up to take 3rd place, congrats to all!

I really got a good look at the Intermediate sequence. I am guessing I judged about 40 flights in total. It really is a good thing for sportsman pilots to judge, as you learn so much while doing it. And I am really looking forward to judging more at Cullman. As soon as the flying was done I refueled and did a number of flights practicing some of the Intermediate maneuvers. That triangle loop is a blast.

While I was flying Lamar came over and invited me back to his house for a jump in the pool and to check out his shop, I was totally impressed at his operation. The way he builds his fuselages is really cool, You all know I am building a couple Black Magics right now, but I kept thinking how cool it would be to have a Black Magic fuse done in nomex with Lamars method. After a dip in the backyard pool, Lamar, Vicky, Melissa, Mike and myself all went out to eat. After dinner I drove home to Atlanta and was in bed by 1 am. That was a busy and fun day.

Where was Marcio and Jim? I was really hoping they were going to show!

see you all at Cullman!

Dean
Old 06-12-2006, 11:22 AM
jonlowe

I'm still trying to get that image out of my head....!

Jon
ORIGINAL: grcourtney

Brian I tried to put the hex on Jon just ask him about the swimming pool next time you see him. Lamar did a great job in the heat keeping the event flowing. NARCA actually has a nice field for having contests it would be worth the trip for anyone next year. Thanks to Mike Hesters wife for keeping up with the scores. I hope Mike's trip back was better than the one down.

gary
Old 06-12-2006, 11:23 AM
jonlowe

Hey, I had the best judges money can buy!!

Jon
ORIGINAL: Lamar Blair

I did see him handing out some money I was not sure why.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:01 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jonlowe

I'm still trying to get that image out of my head....!

Jon

Hmmm...I don't even wanna know....

Well, yeah the trip back was MUCH better than the trip over. Some dufus flipped a tanker truck and what should have been a 3 hour drive took 10 hours. In the heat, it took over 6 hours to move 2.5 miles.

The contest was a lot of fun, just HOT!!!! If that's a preview of the nats, we better stock up on many gallons of water.

You guys have fun at Cullman, I'll be here in the shop!

Cya,
-Mike