Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

CMPro Swallow EX 90

Old 07-29-2009, 02:31 PM
siddus74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMPro Swallow EX 90

Hi guys, just aquired a nice 2nd hand example, I dont suppose anybody can give me the heads up on the control throws please . . . Nice looking plane , not sure what engine to run with any advice would be welcomed.

Scott.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 AM
haisanjafri

OS95AX is the super power and hassle free solution for this model.

regards,

sunny.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:04 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any 90 size two stroke or a YS89a would be nice and its light too, as to throws it all accords how lively you like them, but one thing that is needed is to move the C of G back from that shown in the manual, 165mm behind the LE is a good starting point.
Elevator 20mm each way 40% Expo
Aileron 15mm each way 45% Expo
Rudder as much as you can get with 30% Expo
These are what I use, but you may find this too much movement, I recommend you have it rated down from those shown, if you fly from a small patch as I do then use spoilerons to increase the rate of decent, the Swallow does float on even at low speed.

Mike
Old 07-30-2009, 02:43 AM
siddus74

Mike and others, thanks for the infor and ultra quick response . . .

Mike can you off any advice with regard the setting up of the spolierons? Ive never done this before, also do you need to mix in any elevator etc?

I basically have purchased this only to do a B cert with, not really my cuppa, but a good pattern model does a bunt etc alot easier.

Thanks in advance Mike,

Scott.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 AM
BaldEagel

Scott

Basically I have a side slider on my Tx that operates both ailerons up about 8mm at full throw, at the lowest position the ailerons are flush with the TE of the wing, I havn't found the need for elevator mixing and just fly it in on the stick, according to where your C of G is and the longitudinal Dihedral set up you may need up or down elevator, just try it at height first to see how yours responds.

Mike
Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 AM
BaldEagel

Scott

If you are looking for the best model to do a B cert with, I can't recommend the SebArt Angel highly enough, its the only airframe I have build that used all the supplied hardware and did not need any extra work on it to complete and unbelivable has never had a single beep of trim applied to it since its first flight, its a close to perfect as you can get for a under 2M pattern ship, it will walk a B schedule and make you look good into the bargin.

Mike
Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 AM
siddus74

Mike,

Thanks, sounds great - I take it even at 8mm up you still retain enough aileron control? The previous owner said it was git to get down and he was alway running off the end of the run way.

I only have a .61FX which is what it is the recommended 2C engine size, I know it may be a little flat - but I really just need a good B cert setup . . .

Scott.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 AM
siddus74

Mike the SebArt Angel , is that an IC model? If so what engine size? Cant really picture myself doing a B with an electric model.

Scott.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 AM
BaldEagel

Scott

8mm is fine for my site, you will have to experiment to see how much you need for your angle of approuch, if you have to come in over high trees you may need more, the whole thing was derived because of running out of runway as described by your previous owner, it will just float on and on and on, this is an old airframe now and the newest ones are more refined as explaind to you above about the Angel.

And yes still plenty of aileron authority with the ailerons reflexed up by 8mm.

The 61 will help to get the C of G back where it should be and will also help the weight which is on of the issues that causes the high speed landing and float on.

Mike
Old 07-30-2009, 03:07 AM
BaldEagel

The Angel was designed as an Electric model, but now has the facility to put an IC in it, I did this mod for a pal of mine when they first came out, but SebArt responded to the fact that a lot of people where doing this mod themselves and came out with a conversion kit, one thing about the Angel is its designed to fly not arrive on Terra Firma at a great rate of knots, mind you I have had mine for over 200 flights without incident, and yes its electric and it has been used by a pal to do his B, and he passed.

Mike
Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Hello Mike;
I've been reviewing your information on the Swallow 90. Mine is set up with an O.S. 90 FS Surpass using an 12x11 APC with an O.S. silencer. I hate the landing gear. I should have thrown it away as soon as I opened the box. Now are you sure about the CG being 165mm back from the leading edge? Could you also repeat what the throws were on all services that you used. I'm currently having to rebuild the landing gear and have ordered something new and not so long in that department. All input would be great as I intend to compete with this plane in the lower levels. Thanks.
Terry
Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 AM
siddus74

Terry, I had one as well, got mine second hand for £30. I put a conventional carbon undercart on mine, the first time it came off. I seem to remember using the CG and throws from this thread and it flew fine. Only a .61 a little under powered but still good.

Siddus74
Old 05-03-2010, 04:38 AM
BaldEagel

Terry

Post 53 on this page says it all.

Carbon Copy in the UK sell a Carbon replacement UC for the Swallow, I can vouch for its streanth and suitability.

Mike
Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Thanks guys. This is some great information. Man do I find it hard to believe that the CG needs to be that far back. The throws I'm using now are set to the starting point called out in the manual along with where they say the CG should be set but, I'm having a hard time feeling comfortably connected to what I'm asking the plane to do and then seeing the plane not respond like I expected it to. I've had experience flying pattern back in the early 70s and my favorite plane of all was my Midwest Mach One, but yes it flew quite a bit differently than the Swallow does but with that plane I felt connected and could think out ahead of it. The Swallow is not near as fast as my Mach One but constant speed of the four stroke up down and all around is what's in today. Again thanks for the information.
Terry

Here is how she looks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51037.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1430385