Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Fliton quality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:25 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fliton quality?

Since I've never owned one, I was wondering what the general concensus is on the Fliton planes. Mainly quality.

Fire away.....

-Mike
Old 10-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Damnpilot

Default RE: Fliton quality?

Mike,

This may give you some idea:

Scroll down to a members review of his Fliton "Quiet Storm"

http://www.houstonsportflyers.com/pa...elreviewsofive

I hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:02 PM
skycarcass

I read the link from the previous post and I must say that I am extremely suprised. I just maidened my Fliton Inspire 60 last night and the entire time I was putting it together I was amazed at the quality of it. Everything fit perfectly, the fuse was constructed better than I could do myself. The hardware left a little to be desired, but thats a personal choice. It was more than adequate, just not top of the line hardware.

The plane flew great. I had it balanced at the front of the recomended range and had zero problems. two clicks of right aileron and one of up elevator and it was perfect.

I would recomend Fliton. Check out http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9889 for the forum regarding the conversion of a Fliton Inspire 60 to electric. Lots of pictures.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:02 PM
wagen017

I have to agree with Skycarcass. I have been flying the Fliton Infinity for 1.5 years now. The packaging was great, instructions sufficient. The hardware supplied with the kit was excellent, and the build quality of the plane itself the best I have seen sofar in ARFs.

The only bit I can comment on is the engine mount (wood, a bit flimsy, I had to strengthen it) and the covering. The covering itself is good, but the "decoration" comes off.

The flying is excellent. Sofar the plane outflies me.

The only thing I cannot understand is why they discontinued this model!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:13 PM
wagen017

One thing to add. I set up this plane originally with an OS-91FX with a tuned pipe. Since this was the first time I build it like that, I thought I could get away with hardmounting the header to the fuse.

Well, that was a mistake! The vibration of the (still running very rich) engine was terrible, and basicly the whole plane was shaken to pieces, or so it looked. The fact that the plane survived all that, and is still flying now (I think it has some 200 flights now) is only possible with an excellent built quality.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Super D

Mike I have the Extra 330 and it's a fine ARF. Only thing I did was used dubro clevis's and strengthened the firewall. Mine has ~60 flights with no issues. I've heard great things about the inspire 60 as well.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
vertigo72480

I this for real? I have all but fallen in love with the Inspire 60 Acro. I'm looking to replace my Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 with something much more responsive and crisp. I read the review of the Quiet Storm and am actually quite surprised and concerned. Anyone else out there have any more info?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:14 PM
handglider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned 2 Quiet Storms and have be very impressed with the quality and consistency of the kits - very nicely designed and cut parts, great fit and great covering. I would have no problem buying any Fliton kit. It seems they build very light weight planes, very well.

I also think the Filton quality is better than the E-flight kits (the mini brio)...

Old 10-11-2006, 04:59 PM
wagen017

hmm, would be interesting to see if we can get some more feedback on the Inspire-60. Anybody out there with good or bad feedback on this plane?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
vertigo72480

That's what I'd like to know. I'm about a hair's thickness from ordering one, only I don't want to be the guy who has the info... first.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Sprink

The quiet storm was one of Flitons first planes, and I beleive that the quality has improved further since then. A fellow club member has a QS, and has flown it without incident (as far as I know) for about two years. Having said that he flies it very gently.

I personally have owned a prodigy, infinity and rogue. All now in the bin, I flew them too hard . Not a criticism, it happens to most of my planes, they tend to get a rough ride in my hands. Having said that my prodigy did also fold its wings, during a blender. Inspection of the damage suggests that the wings had been built slightly too light for such an extream manouver. Also as mentioned in the QS review, look at strengthening the landing gear plate, and consider turning the landing gear around so it rakes forward rather than backward, to lessen the chance of problems .

At our club we have got about 4 of their Extra 330s, and they have proved incredibly popular.

I have just received the Inspire 60, and the mini Inspire, both still currently in their boxes awaiting construction, which will probably begin next week, though may be tomorrow if I have time. So as you can see, I have every confidence in fliton
Old 10-12-2006, 10:29 PM
.:RClunatic:.
My Feedback: (21)

in my honest opinnion, fliton makes some of the most incredible airplanes in construction, ease of assembly and especially performance. they obviously knwo wat they are doing. i have been watching fliton since they first showed up on the scene almost 4 years ago and they really are pioneers of a lot of what you see today. i fell in love with their jj and it was definately one of a kind and now that i fly their inspire mini, prodigy and extra 330 freestyle, i see they are always a step above (or improving). the prodigy is such a sweeeet pattern plane.

i read that site with the quite storm complaint and thinkk it is more of someone being a sourpuss. my buddy has the QS and a good 100+ flights, no problem.s..

will def. recommend fliton
Old 10-12-2006, 10:31 PM
.:RClunatic:.
My Feedback: (21)

forgot to add, big Mike is doing a review/build thread on the inspire 60 on RCU that i am watching veeeery closely too! look in 3d flying categ.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:41 AM
Eggert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The models are sooo tiny and nice and fragile ...but handles great in the air

www.piwi.dk go to Quiet Storm in english

Regards
Old 10-13-2006, 07:12 AM
vertigo72480

Can you give me the thread link for the Inspire 60 build?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:19 AM
MHester

Thanks guys, you have answered my questions. Interesting.

-Mike
Old 10-15-2006, 12:43 PM
wagen017

unfortunately, after 210 flights, the wing folded up in mid-air. Not a pretty sight!. I think it has to do with the fact that the muffler (2-stroke) being quite big, pushed against the wing too tightly, which pushed the structure of the wing too much. Lesson: they are great flying airplanes, but you have to be carefull when not sticking to the original plan!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96708.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	541425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88902.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	541426  
Old 10-15-2006, 01:03 PM
MHester

Interesting. But thanks, I think I have the answers I was looking for, from here and elsewhere.

Thanks guys you rock!

-Mike
Old 10-15-2006, 08:08 PM
vertigo72480

Well... I'm out of the Fliton market. I bought a built, flown, and in superior condition, Carl Goldberg Extra 300 this weekend. I've flown it four times since Saturday and couldn't be happier. We had a swap meet at our field here in STL. It'll make you sick to tell you what I got it for. Here's the list of included hardware: .91 Super Tiger 2stroke ringed, all 5 servos, battery, upgraded aluminum landing gear, upgraded fiberglass cowl, and Pitts style muffler. I'll let you salivate over that. Let me know if you want to know how much I got it for, needless to say, I came out smelling like a dozen roses.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:23 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: .:RClunatic:.

forgot to add, big Mike is doing a review/build thread on the inspire 60 on RCU that i am watching veeeery closely too! look in 3d flying categ.
Yep, I am doing a review on the Inspire 60 for RCU. I have a build thread started in the 3D forum and I am simultaneously building a website for the formal review. I should have it done in a couple of weeks I hope but the build thread will document my daily progress. I am at a standstill right now waiting on a new fuselage. The first one was damaged in shipping. It looks like FEDEX dropped the box on its end and it crushed the vertical fin where it meets the fuselage. I could fix it, but we agreed that it was better to use apristeen fuselage for the review so we are just swapping out. Fliton is a really nice company to deal with. They have been very open and honest with me and to reiterate what has already been said, they do not skimp. The construction quality is 1st class as are all of the molded parts and hardware. The paint work on the cowl was the nicest I have seen on an ARF other than my Genesis.

Heres a link to the build thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4855794/tm.htm
Old 07-19-2008, 11:49 AM
WESCO
My Feedback: (11)

NEED TO GET A COWL FOR THE FILTON INSPIRE 90 CANT SEEM TO BE ABLE FIND HOW TO GET PARTS ON THE WEB
Old 07-20-2008, 04:25 PM
bjw4072
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the link to the Fliton store where you can buy a cowl. I had trouble finding this
myself when I needed a new cowl.

http://fliton.com/catalog/index.php?...fb129aee5b9376

The cost is quite reasonable. I also suggest that you buy a spaare landing gear
as the gear will de-laminate if you have a hard landing.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Jeff Boyd 2

Here's a build thread on the Fliton Jumping Jack . .

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8706

Cheers, JB
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 PM
WESCO
My Feedback: (11)

THANKS FOR THE INFO IM LEAVING FOR A WEEK I WILL TRY TO ORDER ONE WHEN I GET BACK .I HAD A PAIR OF LANDING GEAR MADE OUT OF ALUMINUM THEY CAME OUT REAL NICE
Old 07-25-2008, 08:12 PM
destroyer_of_the_blade

i recently bought a fliton prodigy 3d, ive basically been hobbyzone and parkzone planes for quite a while, this is my first electric arf as ive built a several gas arf's, one question i have is where or how on earth do i mount a motor in this thing...? theres definitely too much stuff in the way for anything short of a pager motor to fit in, the cowl is about 1/2" away from the front of the fuselage and the area inside that front plate is tiny, and has ribs running through it, does anyone have pics of their prodigy with the cowl and canopy off? by the way the instructions included with this plane are terrible... should have offered a coloring book, i would have learned more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.