Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Composite-ARF Integral, kinda build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Composite-ARF Integral, kinda build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite-ARF Integral, kinda build thread

It does help, thanks!

Still could use push rod length if anyone has a plane and cares to measure...
Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 AM
Phantom Phixer
My Feedback: (3)

my pushrods are 2 1/2 on the ailerons, but take into consideration I have 4-40 dubro safety kwik-links on one side. the elevators are 1 1/2, again with the same conection on one end
Old 04-16-2013, 04:33 AM
Jetdesign

Thanks a lot!!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Jetdesign

I finally got around to building this plane - I have waited a long time

Like most people I found the stab is about 1deg positive to the wings. It's hard to see the thrust line (from the chin crease) especially on an all-white plane, but it seems like the wings are at 0, the motor at -2, and the stab at +1. I am going to work more on finding the datum tomorrow before decide on what I want to do about wing angles.

I guess I could lay out some lines relative to the stab and see how it looks.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 AM
VerneK

If you leave the stab as is and call that zero, set the wings at 1/2 + to the stab, and the motor at 1/2- to the stab and add 1 degree right thrust, you'll be happy.

Verne

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Like most people I found the stab is about 1deg positive to the wings. It's hard to see the thrust line (from the chin crease) especially on an all-white plane, but it seems like the wings are at 0, the motor at -2, and the stab at +1. I am going to work more on finding the datum tomorrow before decide on what I want to do about wing angles.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Jetdesign

I think I can do that wing adjusters ordered.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:09 PM
VerneK

Correction. Add 1/2 degree right thrust, not 1 degree. Everything else I gave you is correct. The half degree is to correct a slight pull to the left at the top of tall verticals.

Verne Koester

ORIGINAL: VerneK

If you leave the stab as is and call that zero, set the wings at 1/2 + to the stab, and the motor at 1/2- to the stab and add 1 degree right thrust, you'll be happy.

Verne

Old 04-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Jetdesign

Thanks Verne, I think I remembered that.

Mounting the gear noticed the sheeting is about 1/8 in away (floating) from the horizontal part of the gear plate. Leaving it alone would bend the skin of the airplane. I wonder if that contributed to the cracks people found in the side of their plane? I will probably recess the gear almost flush with the skin and mount directly to the block.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:49 PM
VerneK

The delam happens on the sides just above the landing gear. I added some carbon cloth in that area just above the gear plate and also mounted support crutches above the landing gear plate. In addition, I "joined" the two halves of the landing gear with a carbon strap similar to what Najary shows in his Axitra build (he used aluminum). My landing gear plate was 1/8" 5-ply laminated on both sides with carbon cloth. I ground/sanded the seam you mentioned as low as I could and then mounted the plate with a real thick, pasty mixture of cabosil and resin. I don't recommend sanding down the center of the plate because that's the area of the plate that sees the greatest stress. Every time you land, the force is trying to break the plate in half. The joiner and crutches help in that regard, but I still wouldn't do anything to weaken it.

Verne Koester

Mounting the gear noticed the sheeting is about 1/8 in away (floating) from the horizontal part of the gear plate. Leaving it alone would bend the skin of the airplane. I wonder if that contributed to the cracks people found in the side of their plane? I will probably recess the gear almost flush with the skin and mount directly to the block.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

I've found the stock LG really stiff and the curved shape promotes transfering a lot of landing shock and load directly to the fuselage. Even a simi-hard landing will cause damage to the fuselage skin and LG support structure. A somewhat expensive fix is to replace the stock gear with a Bolly or similar shape gear that has a lot more flex than the stock gear. It will absorbe most ot the normal landing shock rather than transfer all the load directly to the fuselage.
Dave
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: VerneK

The delam happens on the sides just above the landing gear. I added some carbon cloth in that area just above the gear plate and also mounted support crutches above the landing gear plate. In addition, I ''joined'' the two halves of the landing gear with a carbon strap similar to what Najary shows in his Axitra build (he used aluminum). My landing gear plate was 1/8'' 5-ply laminated on both sides with carbon cloth. I ground/sanded the seam you mentioned as low as I could and then mounted the plate with a real thick, pasty mixture of cabosil and resin. I don't recommend sanding down the center of the plate because that's the area of the plate that sees the greatest stress. Every time you land, the force is trying to break the plate in half. The joiner and crutches help in that regard, but I still wouldn't do anything to weaken it.

Verne Koester

So this plane had the gear block installed at the factory. The gear is supposed to bolt to the outside/bottom side of sheeting, in the chin cowl. I noticed the sheeting felt a little soft and took a closer look. You can see there is *some adhesive in there, but also some voids. So I opened up the sheeting and found the adhesive is not even contacting the sheeting in most places.

I don't have a pic of the gear installed yet, but it will be mounted directly to the bottom of the pre-installed landing gear block, which I sanded smooth and will fillet in the corners w/microballoons.

The gear is Graphtech F3A gear, customized with more sweep (just slightly more than stock integral, less than Bolly gear). It is definitely more flexible than the Integral stock gear, but I also will reinforce the sides of the fuse, once I really understand where the cracks are happening.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26033.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	1875079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31590.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1875080  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Jetdesign

...more.

Name:	Xv64417.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	1875081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27777.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	1875082  
Old 04-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Jetdesign

I think I started a build thread so I should try to put my stuff there, but wanted to share this: it's for the Pletty Advance and will get glued inside the fuse w/Hysol. It will be made of 0.080" carbon prepreg. The rear mount will be 0.060".

Name:	Ge95639.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1876021  
Old 03-23-2014, 11:56 AM
myckey
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C of G

Originally Posted by VerneK
Joe,
Bob Kane has one but I'm not sure if he plans on selling it. I sent him an e-mail. BTW, having built 3 of them, I recommend reducing the downthrust to 1/2 degree, adding a half degree of right thrust, set the wing at 1/2 degree positive and leave the stab at 0. I had the CG at about 1/8" behind the LE of the wing tube. With those settings, it's a great flying plane. OTOH, Andrew and Jason had a lot of success flying them box stock and mixing out the anomolies.

Verne
Hi Verne,

I'm hoping you can help as I'm just putting together an Integral I acquired and the build instructions give the c of g as 205 mm behind the leading edge of the wing LE at the root, that puts it about 20mm behind the centre of the wing tube. I thought that looked a bit rearward so looked on here, the measurement you are giving (1/8th of an inch behind LE of wing tube) would equate to something like 173mm, quite a difference, I'm assuming you're right (and also that is where I would expect it be) but can Carf be that wrong?

Phil
Old 03-24-2014, 09:17 PM
VerneK

The CARF instructions I got with my Integrals were based on Jason Shulman's notes on the prototype. Jason ended up moving his CG forward as well. Unfortunately, CARF never updated their instructions.

If you call the stab zero, set the wing 1/2 degree positive to that, reduce the down thrust to 1/2 degree down (it's got over 2 degrees molded into the nose), add 1/2 degree right thrust compared to what's molded into the nose and put the CG 1/8" behind the leading edge of the wing tube, you'll have an excellent flying plane. The only mix you'll need is the typical down elevator to low throttle for down lines. I don't recall how much, but I'd start at 2 percent that starts kicking in at below 1/4 throttle. Jason flew one of mine (I built 3) and said it was the most locked in Integral he'd ever flown, Most of my settings came from him and Chad Northeast.

Originally Posted by myckey
Hi Verne,

I'm hoping you can help as I'm just putting together an Integral I acquired and the build instructions give the c of g as 205 mm behind the leading edge of the wing LE at the root, that puts it about 20mm behind the centre of the wing tube. I thought that looked a bit rearward so looked on here, the measurement you are giving (1/8th of an inch behind LE of wing tube) would equate to something like 173mm, quite a difference, I'm assuming you're right (and also that is where I would expect it be) but can Carf be that wrong?

Phil
Old 03-25-2014, 06:23 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by myckey
Hi Verne,

Phil
Phil, Regards to right thrust, it's relatively simple. Just remember the 1/4" differential in 14" equals 1 degree. That is, if you put on a 14" prop and the tips' length difference when measured from the tail post was 1/4", that's 1 degree (close approximation).
Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Jetdesign

It's been a long time coming. This one weighs 4760g but still needs some decals.

Name:	My Integral.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	853.5 KB
ID:	1987233  
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 AM
kevenoco
My Feedback: (1)

It's about time! I've talked with you about this plane since 2 NATS's ago. Looks great. Good job with the weight too!

Keven
Old 04-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Jetdesign

Thanks

I started it just about a year ago - right after last year's Toledo show. I ended up building it at a friend's house an hour away, so work was limited to weekends. I had some major issues with the stock white paint pulling off the fiberglass which really killed a lot of my motivation. It took a long time but I think it came out well. I did end up repainting all the white - which while unfortunate, gives me a little more confidence in the durability of the finish I guess. It came out pretty light despite the extra paint, and a few strategically placed reinforcements.

I'm actually even more excited to sheet up the foam wing cores I have That probably won't happen for a while but we'll see...

I am hoping to fly it this weekend. I have a few finishing touches to do, set throws, etc.

Last edited by Jetdesign; 04-15-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 AM
wildwillie3

Looks great Joe, just in time for the start of the season

Bill
Old 04-18-2014, 09:47 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Looks nice Joe. Good to see it in all it's glory. Good luck with her. Mike
Old 04-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Jetdesign

Thanks Mike.

I had my first two flights today. It took the first flight to sweep out the cobwebs and to get the expo and throttle curve dialed in, and the second flight felt great. It is really predictable; it kind of feels like it just hangs there waiting for me to tell it what to do. I don't know if it's because of how long it took to get it built but I felt like I was getting acquainted with an old friend. It's the biggest plane I've ever flown so maybe that had something to do with it.

Name:	Maiden.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	1988554  

Last edited by Jetdesign; 04-20-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:06 AM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Congratulations Joe! A lot to be proud of there, may it bring thousands of flights.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Jetdesign

It looks like I missed the wing angle by quite a bit. I remember being at about 0.6deg positive to the stab but I need quite a bit of elevator to fly level and the plane really pulls to the canopy in all other attitudes (climbs, dives, knife edge). At this point I'm thinking about wing adjusters until I figure out where I want things to be, but will double-check the thrust angle before making any changes.

I am really rusty after 3 days of flying before losing my plane at Nats last year. It is taking some time getting used to it and flying in general.

Last edited by Jetdesign; 05-23-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:43 PM
VerneK

Originally Posted by Jetdesign
It looks like I missed the wing angle by quite a bit. I remember being at about 0.6deg positive to the stab but I need quite a bit of elevator to fly level and the plane really pulls to the belly in all other attitudes (climbs, dives, knife edge). At this point I'm thinking about wing adjusters until I figure out where I want things to be, but will double-check the thrust angle before making any changes.

I am really rusty after 3 days of flying before losing my plane at Nats last year. It is taking some time getting used to it and flying in general.
did you get rid of the excess down thrust?
verne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.