Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Setup Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:19 PM
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setup Suggestions

Hi all
I'm setting up a new pattern plane for the teenagers to get some competition experience on the larger models.
It is a 1.7m wing span & 1.7m length all up weight will be around 4.2kg (9.5 lbs). and I want to give it my best shot at making it comply with the FAI requirements (Noise, weight etc).

I'm powering this one with a Saito 1.80 that I have spare. (Do you think it wil have enough power)

I'm looking for some suggestions regarding:
Prop Selection
Exhaust selection
Fuel Tank Size
Any other tips that may be helpful.

I have set up a couple of YS powered models previously (Hatori exhausts etc) but an not too sure with the Saito for these models (I just don't want to purchase another YS right at the moment).

Thanks In Advance

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96404.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	561547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32084.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	561548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59925.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	561549  
Old 11-16-2006, 09:48 PM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Setup Suggestions

Steve,

I suggest that you use a YS. Saito does not have a pump. I tried external pumps long time ago and it was very difficult to make it work. Saito is a very good engine for sport application. If you install the tank close to the firewall you will be OK. However, if I were you I will try to get a YS.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone
Old 11-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Rendegade

Nice plane steve!

where'd you get it?

can I get it?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:19 PM
aussiesteve

G'day Rendegade
It is made by a company here in Tianjin (T-Zone Models) they don't have an english language website (yet). The owner of the company is a pretty high level pattern flier over here who I fly with on a regular basis. His main business is using a laser cutter to make foamies and kits for others but he also develops his own F3a planes - he makes 5 per month in either electric or Fuel versions (Slightly different layout in the nose. Apart from the laser cutting, these are all hand made - including sanding off the Char from the cutting process prior to them being glued!

When I come back to Perth at Xmas time I'll be bringing this one with me (Still have to get a box made for transporting it from here - otherwise I'd bring it back if I come back next week) - I'll bring it over to show you. When I get the box made for transport - I'll be able to bring some back with me each trip back (as my second suitcase) the cost is around A$850

Vince
I probably will end up buying another YS (I just can't help myself sometimes). My other ones are tied up in my Oxalys & my Precedent so I don't want to remove them. I also don't really want the teenagers flying them just yet (huge difference in cost if they dumb thumb it in the "self imposed" pressure of the competition arena). I was just hoping to get it going with the Saito & pump configuration - you know how it goes - got a new airframe, just gotta get it airborne (please Dad!!!)