Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

80's pattern planes.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Alan W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80's pattern planes.......

Greetings !!

I have recently aquired a DirtyBirdy .60 wood version that was purchased from an estate sale - seller unknown. The construction is very good, if a bit heavy (alot of filler but well blended fillets). I also purchased a Gator Fli .40 from the same builder and it flies wonderfully.

Also....I have flown a DirtyBirdy Foam/Glass thgat i built in the late 80's and have another in the box squerrelled away. Also in the basement is a Phoenix 7 I used to fly.

Now comes the dicey part..... Dont shoot me !!

About 5 years ago I started flying electric and these days it is all I fly.....not your ParkFlier variety either.....High performance / Over powered planes for the most part.

My Goal for this season is to have one of these birds flying under electric power.

My questions are -

1) does the wood DB fly the same as the Foam/Glass one ??
2) Neither the kit I have or the completed wood wing i purchased seems to have a spar connecting the 2 wing panels. Is this sufficient , strength wise ???

3) This Q. has to do with wing thickness - If i have new cores cut for me, do you think reducing the thickness to 13% or so would greatly change the flight characteristics ?? Should I also add a few inches to the span to help make up for the added weight of electrocution ??

Thanks for your advice(s)

Alan W
Old 01-30-2003, 10:02 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only answer #2. If the wing panels are glassed at the center section, then yes, it is strong enough. There is no need for a spar joiner if you are glassing the center section. I never used a joiner on any of my numerous 60 sized 80's pattern planes. 4oz. cloth is adequate, but some people used 6 oz. instead. Both will work but the 6 oz. is more work to smooth the transition to the wing.

John
Old 01-31-2003, 01:09 AM
sparky925
My Feedback: (1)

The wood Db is a GREAT FLIER!!!
was my 2nd plane...(2year ago)
goes EXACTLY where you point it(into the ground too!!)
slows down well..will float by if not careful..
3 clicks power and chop power at 2 ft off ground!!
(OS 61 FX tunned muffler by macs)

Love mine!
TONY
Old 01-31-2003, 04:48 AM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out page 35 of December 02 Model Aviation Magazine. There is a guy pictured with an electric F3A model. It has a huge wide wing. It seems like your Dirty will be very heavy. If you want to cruise around at high speed it would probably be fine. If you want to fly a sequence, I'm not sure. Several guys in my club fly electric Magic's, E3D's, etc. They are all have big wings for their weight. Of course, you know all this since your an avid electroflyer.

Sounds like an excellent project.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:15 AM
craiggy
My Feedback: (3)

would u interested in selling that dirty birdy in the box?
Old 02-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Alan W

Thanks for the Replies Guys...!!

Sorry, Craiggy the DB in the box isn't currently for sale.

Here's some pix of the two birds in question

I wish i could get a virgin Phoenix fuse and start over that way......

No one out there in TV Lnad has an answer about thinning the wing to ~13-15 % ??

Alan W