Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Zeque Build Glow Powered...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zeque Build Glow Powered...

Zeque build...YS DZ powered

Welcome!

I have admired the threads offered by various RCU members and thought I would offer a thread specifically discussing the installation of a YS DZ YS 1.60 or 1.70 in an Oxai Models Zeque. UAL767 has done an excellent job discussing his Zeque electric conversion.

Background- My decision to purchase the Zeque is almost solely based on my desire to put myself in the best position to reach my potential by optimizing the variables. I define the variables to be composed of three primary variables: my pilot self image, the airframe and associated mechanical components.

My pilot self image consists of the pattern or sequence and the mastery of "presenting" the sequence within my skill set or ability. Creating a positive pilot self image will depend on proper practice, coaching and burning lots of fuel (with a well trimmed and capable model). I am not as naturally gifted as many of you and in order to reach my potential will need to be more methodical to reach my potential.

The airframe and mechanical variables are met by selecting a proven design and setting it up to provide the maximum number of consistent experiences or flights. Specifically, this build will endeaver to execute as EXACTING as possible, the mechanical installation "themes" as executed by Mr. Suzuki, designer of the Zeque and Japanese F3A Team member.

So we begin with photos of Mr. Suzuki's actual model which I just received last night. The photos are courtesy of Sam Johnson, Oxai-USA, after I asked him if he could provide more detail about the location of the various conponents.

Official disclaimer: I have received no compensation, discount or other indirect compensation from Oxai-USA or Central Hobbies for this Zeque RCU build thread. I am an Official Team Fuataba member and Team YS Performance. Additionally, I have written or am scheduled to write for FLY RC Magazine product reviews which based on my specifications, have utilized products marketed by Central Hobbies, Futaba of America and YS Performance which may have been provided at a "promotional" rate. I have provided an "independent" and "impartial" opinion of my specific experiences. It should be noted that the I assume no personal or implied liability for the information contained in my digital and written information. The information provided are my opinions and in no way imply or express the opinions and or warranties of Central Hobbies, Oxai-USA, Futaba of America and YS Performance.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

The build begins with a specific goal: re-create the installation "themes" in these pictures:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63744.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	600389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39113.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	600390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99051.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	600391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42248.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	600392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq87564.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	600393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du20929.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	600394  
Old 01-17-2007, 09:20 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Zeque Build Glow Powered...

With all of the legal Jargan out of the way let's begin!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

ORIGINAL: rgreen24

With all of the legal Jargan out of the way let's begin!

I think he's done already and gone flying... [8D]
Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 PM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
bwick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the pictures I don't know if I agree with some of his choices, but how do those japanese get their models so gosh darn clean and pretty. It amazes me every time I see it. Even more incredible up close (got to see Sean's Astral at the NATS).

Good luck on the build Rusty, it's a beautiful model. Look forward to seeing you and possibly your Zeque in Phoenix this February
Old 01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
mwick

Let me understand something here. You mean that if I follow your build thread, implement your ideas and follow your procedures in building my own plane, then I go out and crash my plane, I can't hold you liable?? What's the world coming to???

p.s. what about if I cut my fingers in the prop, can I hold you liable then??
Old 01-19-2007, 08:25 AM
BERUSTY

Zeque YS DZ 1.60/1.70 build continued,

Before I get started, here are a few photos of my workshop. The shop features movable storage/bench tops, rolling audio/video carts for power tools and modular model storage. The model storage "system" is continued into the garage and the basis for my trailer allowing for simple and flexible storage and transportation.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Jh15142.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	601514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54841.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	601515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22776.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	601516  
Old 01-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Derek.Koopowitz

Ok, now I know what was taking time... he was cleaning up his shop!!!! Jeez Rusty... you need to make a little mess so that we know you actually use it.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:49 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, it's a good thing that I'm not a bitter, jealous sort of person. Because that shop could make me very bitter and jealous....

Mark
Old 01-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Gregg G
My Feedback: (7)

Forget about the build! Let's see more of the work shop!
Greg Grigsby
Old 01-19-2007, 11:50 AM
mwick

I like my stuff all scattered across my work benches, that way it is within easy reach. When I run out of room on the bench, just build a new bench. Also keeps disappearing tools to a minimum because I am the only one that can find anything. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:13 PM
BERUSTY

Zeque YS DZ 1.60/1.70 build,

Thank you for the comments regarding my shop...here are a few more photos. The space is designed to be able to build, set-up, cover and maintain multiple projects simultaneously without having to clean. Yes, EVERYONE makes fun of my desire (nothing that counseling couldn't fix...) to keep things tidy. Additionally, my 4 and 2 year old have THEIR play room next to Daddy's shop which requires everything really dangerous (everything) to be somewhat out of harms way.

Here is where I purchased the parts:

Maple table top: Ikea
Table top base cabinets: Home Depot
Rolling 4-drawer carts with work top: Ikea
Audio/Video carts with AC power and extension cord: One of the 20 office supply catalogs I see every month
Wall cabinets: Ikea
Large base cabinet with doors: Ikea
Wall shelving: The Container Store (Hella), Home Depot
Adjustable airplane stands on black rolling steel cart: J&L Power Products (based in Wisconsin) see Model Aviation Ad
Rolling steel cart with doors: Office Max
Vertical model stands: J&L Power Products
Floor paint: Home Depot
Magnetic tool holder strip on wall: Ikea
Cord reels: Sears (Where America Shops)

Trailer (Not shown): Vertical standards and shelving (Home Depot) AND custom brackets from J&L Products

Models in background: 2.6 meter Composite ARF with DA-100 and cannisters, Scandalous Biplane YS DZ.160, Merlin F3P biplane (5 oz RTF), Ikarus F3A custom (4.75 oz RTF), Ikarus Yak 55, E-Flite Yak Byp, Brio and Mini-Funtana, Bridi Dirty Birdy .60 in the bones, Sig Yak 18 in the bones (rare and special model), Kyosho Oxalys 50 with YS 63 and Hatori mini pipe, Focus II ARF (current Fly RC Magazine project), Oxai-Beryll (current Fly RC Magazine project), Focus II ARC and hard to see prize possesion... original Compensator kit that I just received!

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Tr50798.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	601710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66481.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	601711  
Old 01-19-2007, 04:14 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Rusty,
How do I get a copy of FLY RC magazine? Or Subscribe? Will there be a regular pattern column or featured articles?
Thanks,
Will B.

PS My workshop looks like that ... after every relocation
OF course it NEVER LOOKS LIKE THAT AGAIN UNTIL WE MOVE!!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:20 PM
IShootSharpStix
My Feedback: (4)

http://flyrc.com/
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 AM
BERUSTY

Zeque YS DZ 1.60/1.70 powered

Components and parts selections: The next series of photos are some the components that have been selected.

Radio equipment: All Futaba components

Transmitter: 12Z
Receiver: 5014 DPS
Throttle: 9650
Ailerons: 9154 aileron servo (wedge shape)
Elevator: 9151
Rudder: 9155

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Cz79835.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	602243  
Old 01-20-2007, 09:48 AM
BERUSTY

Zeque YS DZ 1.60/1.70 build

Engine components:

Engine: YS 1.60/1.70 DZ
Header: Hatori #822 (15 degree or 24 degree rise?) or #823 (10 degree rise?)
Pipe: Hatori #821 (comes with very nice mount although I am not using)
Pipe mount: Ishioka special (Central # 166 311 $39.87)
Header support: Ishioka special (Central #105 126 $32.95)
Needle valve extension: IM Products #05102 (Central # 166 028 $3.95)
Fuel tank: K& S 600 cc # 981-2300 special (Oxai-USA, I was afraid to ask the price?)
Fuel fittings: Tettra #4225 color tilted outlet nipple red/blue anodized aluminum (Central # 166 289)
Fuel dot: Tettra #?
Fuel line: Prather medium

Some of these parts are available at a number of quality shops around the world...(I generally just call Mandy at Central Hobbies, she knows the cool parts...)

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Us53836.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	602249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96836.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	602250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50852.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	602251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74151.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	602252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53391.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	602253  
Old 01-20-2007, 09:56 AM
BERUSTY

Zeque DZ 1.60/1.70 build

Engine mount

The airplane is specifically designed to use the YS vibration dampening mount. I have never used this mount and I have heard many favorable comments recognizing it does require maintenance due to the nifty little shock absorber. I have included a picture of Muggen #600 silicone shock oil, used for RC cars, as my in the field box maintenance item.

The YS mount is very light and simple to install and remove.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Xu62409.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	602254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61794.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	602255  
Old 01-20-2007, 10:10 AM
BERUSTY

How to access the glow plug in a fully enclosed motor installation?

MK of Japan has a system which uses a fuselage mounted female plug, glow plug attachment clip and male plug for the power source. Here are a few tricks Dave Guerin showed me to mount this little gem for trouble free use: It will break...so I replace the ground wire with a RC car silicone wire. The ground simply connects to one of the engine bolts. The glow plug wire will probably fail at the glow plug clip/wire joint. You can add a piece of heat shrink tubing or just replace it with a Tettra remote glow wire and clip (about $6.00 at Central Hobbies). The plastic mounting ears are prone to cracking...later I show how that is fixed as well.

Yes, it does weigh about an ounce, basically have to replace some of the key components, requires additional time to install (less than an hour) but it is very clean and cool when your done.

I use a lithium powered glow igniter which I installed SERMOS plugs to use several different glow plug clips.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Ro42042.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	602260  
Old 01-20-2007, 10:21 AM
BERUSTY

What power source?

I have never been an "early adopter" of battery systems. Many pilots have had and are having success using the lipo batteries to power the airborne electronics. Yes, there can be very little weight savings when one considers the voltage regulator, the extra charging equipment and fire...

I will use a 1320 mah Thunder Power two cell pack, Deans mini plugs connected to a Jaccio 6.0 volt default "on" safety switch. If the switch breaks, the system will be "on". I have a couple of the batteries so that after I fly 5 - 6 flights, I simply replace it and charge outside the model.

Dave Lockhart (fantastic precision pilot and ambassador) uses a redundant system of dual 450 mah (?) lipo packs, regulators and switches. This provides an additional layer of protection and complexity because you really need to monitor the voltage of EACH pack.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Sq46298.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	602273  
Old 01-20-2007, 11:53 AM
mwick

Rusty:

You got me thinking about the enclosed engine with your comments. I guess there is a choice of the remote glow driver like your using or opening up the bottom of the chin cowl/pipe tunnel/underbody apparatus for plug access.

I assume the underbody is molded balsa like the rest of the fuse, that being said I wonder if there needs to be additional sealing of the internal surface to prevent soaking up fuel and oil? Maybe a coat of thinned epoxy to insure against any pinhole leaks in the original construction? I hope others with experience will comment.

Mike Wickizer
Old 01-20-2007, 01:53 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, your parts choice is impressive...

You know, I wondered where I could find some of those parts....did not think about calling Central. Do they carry the motor mount as well??

I would like to know how you plan to set up your elevator linkage. The first set of photos looks like they used a metal rod y adapter or something...

Also, check this site out http://www.tech-aero.net/ ....I especially like the dual failsafe regulators/single switch setup...

btw-your shop sucks......in a good way though...
Old 01-20-2007, 03:04 PM
BERUSTY

Regarding fuel proofing engine compartment, where to buy motor mount and the elevator system:

The Oxai-Models, I believe, are painted with an epoxy paint. The Zeque has a carbon fiber belly pan with what looks like a complete carbon fiber engine compartment. It appears to be finsished with clear...I will use Z-poxy finishing system to coat all of the little areas like the holes for the fuel lines...

Fuel brands, fuel proofing and protecting your model's finish. I am not a chemist yet I have found that some model fuels seem to also double as a paint remover! I will be flying Cool Power 30% Heli this year based on my ability to buy a gallon or two locally if I run out AND it has proven to be a little easier on painted finishes.

Central Hobbies or YS Performance Parts and Service (Rich Verano) carry the mounts. (I imagine others do also.)

The elevator push rod...procrastination...there is no other control system element that drives me crazier than the elevator system! My last (3) F3A models have all used dual Futaba 9650 elevator servos mounted in the tail. The Focus II I am doing for FLY RC Magazine uses my new system of "supports" using the conventional arrow shaft captured in the tail and "Y" ends. I used a dense, slippery foam packing material about 3/8" thick mounted in (2) places against bulkheads (See attached photos.)

Chip Hyde used (2) 3/16" carbon rods to each elevator half, driven by dual Futaba 9650's mounted in the cockpit area in his Scandalous. I am going to this set-up, vs. the 9650's in the tail, in MY Scandalous in my weight reduction process and CG change.

Troy Newman (Mr. DEPS, Dual Elevator Pushrod System) does a fabulous job with the Central Hobbies DEPS system. I flew with Troy before last years NATS and admired the contol system installations. Troy's systems may be as flight tested as any due to his practice regimen (Very nice way of saying that he flies A LOT).

Mr. Suzuki's Zeque uses a standard "Y" with the exits capturing each pushrod in a nylon sleeve (I assume to reduce play). The fuselage has a number of formers in which to attach supports.

I have not decided. Troy said that he would install the DEPS system if I brought it to Phoenix. I have purchased the parts for the DEPS.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Lj22384.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	602510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22824.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	602511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25586.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	602512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48621.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	602513  
Old 01-20-2007, 03:22 PM
wagen017

Great thread Rusty! Love that workshop, actually an inspiration to (maybe) get mine organised as well!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Rusty,

I was trying to find some of the more obscure parts that you have, specifically the IM Products needle valve extension and the Nishioka pipe mount, and could not find them on the website, nor in their 2007 catalog. Will I just have to call and order those parts using the part numbers, or are there plans to advertise those? I can't wait to see the build come to fruition.

Also, did you buy that foam from a supplier, or did it come as packaging material? Dave has been racking his brain to find a source for it.

reason for edit: eye kan not cpell
Old 01-20-2007, 06:55 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Ryan Central does not list these parts on their website or in the catolog. Give Mandy a call and she will hook you up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.