Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

ES Carbon Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:57 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES Carbon Pipes

I have a post going in the Gas Engines forum, but there is a lot more experience with these here.

I am looking at the ES 50cc pipe for use on a G-62. I would like to know what the longevity / durability is for these pipes compared to a typical aluminum quiet pipe like the Mac's unit. Any reliability issues I should worry about? They are 1/2 the weight of the Mac's and only slightly more $$, so it looks like a good deal but I don't want to be replacing a pipe every season just to save a few ounces in weight.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Raiko1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ES Carbon Pipes

I have been out of pattern for sometime now and returning back this year for which in the past I have owned at least 4 of the ES carbon pipes. I was unaware that they made a 50cc pipe but as long as you have the proper cooling whether it be in the open air or enclosed with proper channeling, should hold up. I do know of one of my present models which is owned by a friend of mine has been flying for 3 years with the ES pipe. I have also successfully repaired one that was in a crash. I am in debate right now whether to used a carbon pipe or go with the new short pipe because of weight issue but if I do decide to use a carbon pipe, I feel very confident that it will hold up. I don't know temperature range of gas verses glow engines but I am pretty sure that if they are making one for 50cc engines then they have already tested the product. R/C Kid
Old 02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
mmattockx

Thanks R/C Kid,

That's what I expected to hear, but it's nice to have someone's firsthand experiences. Ed seems to have an excellent reputation, so I'm not surprised, but I really don't want to throw $250 at a pipe that won't last....

Mark
Old 02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
H

Hi I have used the es pipes in F3a and found them to be excellent quality and very light, soft engine note, word of caution .. pay particular attention to how the pipe is mounted this I believe is critical to its longevity and probably is true for the gas version, they are definitely not as robust as Ali
Just ordered 2x the gas version for Brillelli's on the strength of past experience.
Hope this helps
Adrian
Old 02-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Raiko1

Your Welcome! I am leaning more towards the carbon pipe because of its lightness and simplicity of mounting that I have always experience. When I finish my project then I will send some pics to you of my install. R/C Kid
Old 02-10-2007, 07:27 PM
MTK

The ES pipes should hold up to the higher temps of the gasser. These were designed to be used in 4 stroke applications which exhaust hotter than gassers. I always mount these at around their cg on a lord type soft mount and have had no problems. I wrap the pipe with teflon tape at the attachment area and then attach regular plastic tie wraps around the teflon. Keeps the tie wraps from degrading prematurely which can be a pain in enclosed installations

MattK
ORIGINAL: mmattockx

I have a post going in the Gas Engines forum, but there is a lot more experience with these here.

I am looking at the ES 50cc pipe for use on a G-62. I would like to know what the longevity / durability is for these pipes compared to a typical aluminum quiet pipe like the Mac's unit. Any reliability issues I should worry about? They are 1/2 the weight of the Mac's and only slightly more $$, so it looks like a good deal but I don't want to be replacing a pipe every season just to save a few ounces in weight.

Thanks,
Mark